Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How long did your long-tube install take?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long did your long-tube install take?

About to put in some Kooks LTs and catted mids to hook up to my Magnaflow cat-back. Just wondering what kind of experiences y'all had while installing your exhausts. I want to know what to look out for, what to possibly expect. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took me about 3.5 hours with two guys which made it a lot easier, one to hold from the bottom and one to get the bolts on, the slowest part was getting the damn little clasp thingamajiggs on the Stage 8 locking bolts I used. Also had to disconnect the steering linkage on the drivers side, but not sure if that will be an issue with your Kooks.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Took me 5 or 6 hours with a friend and beer. We had to raise the motor a bit to get pass side in and raise the car as high as possible. But depends on which headers you have. Take your time... It's fun to get those stock dead weight manifolds out of there!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I have Kooks and Stage 8 locking bolts. It says in the instructions I will have to disconnect the steering linkage. I will most likely be by myself, in a paved driveway with the car on jackstands.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it is an easy *** thing do pick install header. cut and chop is the many dificutl... i do not enjoying this part of. I like design of install steering linkage remove 13mm bolt pull up but make sure lock wheel steer or AIRBAG!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You'll have to dent the Kooks. Put the driver's side header in the car, mark the tube, pull it out, get a couple of thick towels to spread out the blow and give the tube a sharp rap through the towels.

The Magnaflow will not connect to the catted mids (are you using the Kooks 6760-FC?). You'll need someone with welding experience to cut down the Magnaflow and make it fit right.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You'll have to dent the Kooks. Put the driver's side header in the car, mark the tube, pull it out, get a couple of thick towels to spread out the blow and give the tube a sharp rap through the towels.

The Magnaflow will not connect to the catted mids (are you using the Kooks 6760-FC?). You'll need someone with welding experience to cut down the Magnaflow and make it fit right.
Yeah I'm using a 6760-FC. Kooks said it would fit right up. This will not make me happy. I'm surprised the header will need a dent, usually Kooks is the most flawless fit in the industry as far as I know. I think I will still try it myself though, the local speed shop said $400-600 for the install. As simple as headers are to install, it always surprises me how much can go wrong.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check to make sure you don't have any broken exhaust bolts first. Otherwise you'll probably get stuck in the process. My theory is that the inevitable broken motor mounts sheer the heads off of the weakest exhaust bolts at the rear.

Kooks 1 3/4 supposedly don't need a dent. The 1 7/8 headers are just too tight of a squeeze.

I backed the rear wheels up a pair of ramps and leveled it up with some jack stands up front. The catted connector pipes are designed to slip over the stock piping. Magnaflow's may vary slightly. I would still attempt the install and do my best to fit the pipes up, but not so much as to mangle a good weld job. Once you finish that up a little noisy drive to an exhaust shop shouldn't be too bad and they probably don't ding you too much in fab cost. It's really just two cuts and two full welds.

I also reused my stock exhaust bolts and gaskets without issue.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what size kooks headers I have but they needed a lot of denting. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

No dent in my 07 install with kooks 1 7/8. Ls2 had cs motor/trans mounts. Steering linkage was close but not touching. I did have passenger side rear bolt snapped. Took some time to get that out with vice grips. Removing stock plug wires biggest pits imo. Took me 6 hours over 2 days some of that with a buddy. First header install and took time to explore and address other maint stuff. Steering linkage is a pita to work with just doesn't want to move.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took me about 3 hours by myself
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Took me 3 hours by myself to do headers and I did motor mounts also, and I have a 3inch b&b exhaust.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Took me about two hours. In the driveway on ramps. That's paceshitter long tubes and a b&b 3" all the way out.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
Yeah I'm using a 6760-FC. Kooks said it would fit right up. This will not make me happy. I'm surprised the header will need a dent, usually Kooks is the most flawless fit in the industry as far as I know. I think I will still try it myself though, the local speed shop said $400-600 for the install. As simple as headers are to install, it always surprises me how much can go wrong.
Think about it. The Magnaflow is designed to mate to the stock manifolds. The headers exit at exactly the same point as the manifolds, but now you're adding an 18" long catted piece onto that. Now, if you're desperate, you can attack the Magnaflow with a sawzall and just *barely* get the pieces to fit together if you flip the center section of the Magnaflow upside down, but it's incredibly hard to do and will give you only enough room to take the car to the shop (because it'll be scraping over every curb and bump).

Karn's here in Groton CT finished up my installation for about $150.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Your motor mounts are probably going to need to be replaced too...while you're in there might as well replace them. Imo my new motor mounts made a overall bigger difference than the headers.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Header studs, enough said. Good luck sir.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GFallen
Your motor mounts are probably going to need to be replaced too...while you're in there might as well replace them. Imo my new motor mounts made a overall bigger difference than the headers.
a replaced motor mount will also aid in the steering shaft rubbing along the primary. picks up the motor just enough...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a tip on the stage 8 bolts, while pushing the clip on have someone hold a magnet next to the bolt so when they inevitably slip off while pushing down they don't fall into the abyss!

Little bit of work but they are well worth it in my opinion, no retorquing required after heating and cooling.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Got a late start today and only got the driver side in. It fit great, I didn't have to dent anything. Should have the passenger side in pretty quickly in the morning, then it'll be a really noisy drive to the exhaust shop. I'll be getting a Maggie in a while (hence the 1 7/8 longtubes) but til then I'll need a tune to drive around on. Who does mail order tunes for these things?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

East coast supercharging does a mail order tune for like $150 for our cars.

Quick Reply: How long did your long-tube install take?