Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

To v2 or not to v2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To v2 or not to v2

I just got my new job yesterday and in a couple more months ill have started making a considerable amount more than I ever have before. I have an 05 V with all the bolt-ons. My question is would it be worth it to maggie, cam, and do the 8.8 conversion if i just plan on daily driving it or start looking for v2's?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Personally, I really enjoy my '04, but after driving a '12 CTS while mine was getting some warranty work done a couple months ago, I want the V2.

I've been looking around for the 'right' car in my area, but no luck as of yet. Until then, I'll continue to take care of my '04 as far as maintenance, but nothing extra.

To answer your question - If you think you want a V2, then No - It's not worth it, IMO. Save that money and put it towards the down payment on the V2.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Launching!

While I love the v2, truly love...there's nothing like having the first generation of this special vehicle. I'd like to know the production numbers of v2's. I have a 07 and only 1176 where made which is one reason I'll never sale although I will get a v2 one day. In the end its your money and either way you'll be fine. Let us know your decision. I think I'd want an auto.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Teching In

I've had an 07 with mods and it doesn't come close to my V2. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

My V's drivetrain is scattered all over my garage right now as I find out if I have the skills to rebuild the bottom end of my LS6. As much as I love my car, I think I would much prefer to DD a V2 and keep my 05 as a project car..in a perfect world that is..haha.

Like stated above, I would not touch your current V if you have plans on going for a V2. It will be worth more untouched if you plan on trading it in for a V2. The other side of the argument (the non-car enthusiast side) might suggest not spending money on the current V and putting away most of your new added income for savings
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
FoD
On The Tree

I agree with everyone else it seems. I love the V1. As a DD, I'd opt for a V2 for the right price. For a fun, weekend, or track car, V1 all day long. The interior is far and away better. You can make the same power (or close) with a V1 with what your are speaking of, but you will never be able to "upgrade" the V1 interior to the likes of a V2. If the refinement is a factor, being your DD, a V2 starts to look a lot nicer than the V1. If sheer fun and drivability are at the top of your list, I don't think you can go wrong with keeping your V1.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
JDB
Launching!

If the new job is the only way you can afford the V2, I say keep the V1. Too many classifieds ads saying the sale is due to losing a job and needing money.

Knowing the history of my V and needing nothing, would make me want to further mod it over a V2.

How much would a Maggie, cam cost? I'd run a stock diff until it popped. Add that $ to the value of your car... what the $ gap to a V2? It's that gap that you need to decide is worth spending ...and for what? ...again, you need to decide. Is it that much nicer of an interior that you would spend that gap $? Is the V2 less miles worth that gap $? What are the increased costs? ....insurance, worse gas mpg, more $ for tires, brakes... maintenance/replacement parts more $?

Unless you're driving a 150k+ miles V that needs work... I'd keep the V1 and mod the *** out of it.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Launching!

I think everyone’s situation is different. Last year I was at the point where I had just paid off the V1 and was contemplating getting into a V2. I was going to sell my car and hope to get high teens at worst and put that towards the V2 and finance 25-30K. Right at that point a used Maggie shows up on Ebay for 3500.

So either jump back into a car payment for 4-5 years or use the tax and reg money I’d saved up to buy the Maggie outright. I figured if I jumped into the V2, I’d be moding it consistently just like every car I’ve ever owned. Then I would have that on top of the car payment.

So I chose to continue to mod the V1 and I put the extra money towards a solar system for the house. I’ll own the house outright in 6 years. I’ll get anther car at that point.

I’m very happy with the V1. (Even thought that M6 owned me Wednesday) It runs well, a lot of effort went into reducing the weight and it holds its own against a stock V2. Happy with the decision I made.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I would say pay off the V1, keep as a project car, and then get a V2 for DD duties.

I wish I had done that, I really miss my V1.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you DD your cts-v then the interior of the V2 would alone win you over. The power is a plus but being in a better vehicle is hard to ignore.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, I'd put the money into something else. If you're just getting your hands on some money, make it work for you. These cars will just suck it right out of your pockets.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

V2 for sure, the V1's interior is comprable to an fbody compared to the new v's. With two simple mods they are putting down 530-550rwhp through an auto and going mid 11s@120+
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my V1 but I am going V2 as soon as I can.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I'm a big fan of the V2 but I've heard the gas mileage is really horrific. I DD my V1 and get about 19 mpg avg. I'm ok with that but I have heard some folks only getting 11-13 DD-ing their V2s. I'm not sure I could deal with that.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

If you have the means, V2!!!

If not, enjoy modding your V1. They are both great cars, but the V2 is just an improved version of the original.

Originally Posted by MacLEAN
I'm a big fan of the V2 but I've heard the gas mileage is really horrific. I DD my V1 and get about 19 mpg avg. I'm ok with that but I have heard some folks only getting 11-13 DD-ing their V2s. I'm not sure I could deal with that.
I can get about 21 mpg hwy in my wagon. I average about 16-17 driving around town and in Balt/Wash traffic. So, to get 11-13 mpg, you would have to floor it from light to light, everytime, and be in complete stop and go traffic at all times.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a v2 if that's what's in your crosshairs... I think I'd rather enjoy a nicer car for a DD and I'd get one if I could afford it... But I certainly wouldn't justify spending that kind of money to go bottom 12s stock when you can easily do it in a v1 with less money involved... I'm hoping to break 11s in mine next month with the good weather here
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Went from an 06 STS-V ( broke two stock rear ends ) to an 09 V2.

Best decision I ever made !
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Have you driven a V2 yet? That's what did it for me. It's simply better engineered and so much more refined. If you're looking for a new DD definitely go for a V2. I'm currently typing this while sitting in my Recaros and recording a CD to the hard drive. Even the stereo is better. Plus this thing has more than enough power to hold me over for awhile... Well till I tangled with that C6 Z06 this morning... Plus I live at 3600ft of altitude so the power jump felt like so much more due to forced induction being less affected by the altitude. My insurance went up $9 a month so that wasn't a factor. The V2 does have a smaller tank than the V1 but with the auto, the power increase, and programming it with my Diablosport intune the fuel consumption is roughly the same. Oh and magneride is really that good.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
If you have the means, V2!!!

If not, enjoy modding your V1. They are both great cars, but the V2 is just an improved version of the original.

I can get about 21 mpg hwy in my wagon. I average about 16-17 driving around town and in Balt/Wash traffic. So, to get 11-13 mpg, you would have to floor it from light to light, everytime, and be in complete stop and go traffic at all times.
Nice, that is not too bad. I would still like to see it a little better but that is not quite as bad as I feared.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MacLEAN
Nice, that is not too bad. I would still like to see it a little better but that is not quite as bad as I feared.
For making just shy of 600 rwhp in a wagon....I'd say that's damn good!

There is no doubting the V is a bad ****!

Quick Reply: To v2 or not to v2