Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Revshift install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha FOD im in Southern New Hampshire
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Install went ok. Could have went better. I highly recommend using the cs diff bushing removal tool. Taking that bushing out was a b****! The cradle bushings was done easiest, by simple cutting with sawzall from the center of the stock bushing out to the outer metal ring and through it. With a little elbow grease they dropped right out. As for the install of the cradle bushings all went well except the front one of the drivers side. The new bushing didn't really set 100%. I tried to realign it a few times, but all other bushings set perfect. Along to the trailing arm bushings. The two jaw puller works great for removal. When installing those bushings both sides wouldn't set 100%, but pushing the trailing arms back on pushed and held them in place obviously. Also I didn't torque to spec anything. Just tightened down very tight.

As for the drive. It's 54F here and I drove around for about 20 mins on just regular street tires. 1st gear pull a few times wheel hopped. Not to bad, but didn't take it all out. Then a few times in 1st it would just spin. In 2nd it seem to pull fine then halfway through 2nd it felt like the car slipped the clutch "which the clutch grabs fine all the time, so I doubt this" or skipped a few teeth on the ring & pinion gears?

Last, but not least. The rear diff whine is now LOUDER!!!! UGH I'm going to change the diff and trans fluid tomm. Going with the thicker gear oil for the rear, hoping it will take some of the annoying whine out!

Last edited by impulse27297; 01-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by impulse27297

skipped a few teeth on the ring & pinion gears?
yeah....unless there is a puddle of gear oil under your car after that test...then this did not happen.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" or skipped a few teeth on the ring & pinion gears?
Just FYI, that's not possible. You'd frag your housing before your pinion separated far enough from the ring to "skip."
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also I didn't torque to spec anything. Just tightened down very tight.
No offense, but I would this this is very important, especially for these parts and how they're expected to function.

In 2nd it seem to pull fine then halfway through 2nd it felt like the car slipped the clutch "which the clutch grabs fine all the time, so I doubt this" or skipped a few teeth on the ring & pinion gears?
What you're describing is pretty much spot on what summer tires feel like when it's too cold out. Like you're on skateboard wheels.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

if you can get your hands on an air chisel, you can just push out the bushings, thats what i did.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DACTARI
No offense, but I would this this is very important, especially for these parts and how they're expected to function.

What you're describing is pretty much spot on what summer tires feel like when it's too cold out. Like you're on skateboard wheels.
Well I had all intentions to, but the torque wrench I had only went up to 100ft pounds. I'm returning the 2 jaw puller to Oreillys and I hope that they have a torque wrench that will work.

Also, after driving to work this morning I noticed a small popping sound from when I disengage or engage clutch. Basically when I add or remove pressure from rear end. Not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
yeah....unless there is a puddle of gear oil under your car after that test...then this did not happen.
Well that's the best way I could describe how it "felt". I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it did it more than once.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I had all intentions to, but the torque wrench I had only went up to 100ft pounds. I'm returning the 2 jaw puller to Oreillys and I hope that they have a torque wrench that will work.

Also, after driving to work this morning I noticed a small popping sound from when I disengage or engage clutch. Basically when I add or remove pressure from rear end. Not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas?
Loose bolt?
-Captain Obvious
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
Loose bolt?
-Captain Obvious
Thanks for the obvious solution, but I doubled checked every bolt I touched. I’m going to be under the car tomm doing the diff fluid change and I will look over everything again. Maybe something came loose with all the vibration from the sawzall?

I was hoping for more of an answer of something to look for specifically that could cause that.

Quick Reply: Revshift install