Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New rear end break in time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear end break in time?

Just got a new rear put in my 07 under warranty and am wondering if I need to take it easy on her for the first 500mi like most new gear sets. This thought came to mind after having to spank some dude in a turbo gti last night who pulled up on me.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, i'd change the fluid after 500miles and go light on it. Drive as if you were breaking in a new clutch.

Is there a warranty on the new diff?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Teching In

I believe 12mo/12,000 mi on any warranty work. This was the last fix of my certified pre-owned warranty. My old rear wasn't blown, just whined. So I whined until I got a new diff.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my differential replaced under warranty the Service Manager suggested a break-in routine that seems to have worked - no whine after 12k miles.

He said to avoid constant speeds. The worst thing to do, for example, is to set out on long highway trip. The idea is to drive it around town where you are constantly accelerating and then slowing down. It is alright to go fast as long as two conditions are met - (1) it is thoroughly warmed up (drip lubrication is lousy when cold) and (2) you stop frequently and let it cool down.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
When I had my differential replaced under warranty the Service Manager suggested a break-in routine that seems to have worked - no whine after 12k miles.

He said to avoid constant speeds. The worst thing to do, for example, is to set out on long highway trip. The idea is to drive it around town where you are constantly accelerating and then slowing down. It is alright to go fast as long as two conditions are met - (1) it is thoroughly warmed up (drip lubrication is lousy when cold) and (2) you stop frequently and let it cool down.
Thanks Darkman. Did he say for how many miles? 500? Did u do a fluid change after break in?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hellride
Thanks Darkman. Did he say for how many miles? 500? Did u do a fluid change after break in?
500 miles and definitely change the fluid.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkman

same as breaking in a clutch

good luck with the new diff!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a guy i used to be friends with was breaking in a new diff in a z28 and put it up on jack stands, put it in gear, slowly let off the clutch, and let the rear wheels spin slowly for a while.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hellride
Just got a new rear put in my 07 under warranty and am wondering if I need to take it easy on her for the first 500mi like most new gear sets. This thought came to mind after having to spank some dude in a turbo gti last night who pulled up on me.
I hope is going well with your vehicle to date. If you any questions about the break-in time for a certain part, the dealership should be able to provide some advice. If you any further issues, please let us know. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

when i got my new rear done last year, i followed what darkman said, i also did several low speed figure eights to really get the rear lubricated.
so far i have no diff noise and i have a full year of burnouts and abuse on it.

Quick Reply: New rear end break in time?