Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have to top off my coolant about every 2-3 days. When I was under the car I seen a little coolant on the very bottom of the radiator. I have heard a common issue is the water pump going bad. Is there anything else I should look for before I spend the $200 on a new water pump??
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impulse27297
I have to top off my coolant about every 2-3 days. When I was under the car I seen a little coolant on the very bottom of the radiator. I have heard a common issue is the water pump going bad. Is there anything else I should look for before I spend the $200 on a new water pump??
The OEM radiator is also a common item that goes bad, replaced mine at about 50k miles for the same issue. I took mine to the dealership to have replaced and seriously regret it, spent $1k on the repair which could have bought me a badass aluminum one!

If you need to replace the radiator I would recommend talking to alradco on the other forum or Luke at Lindsay Cadillac for a Ron Davis.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Mine was $670 installed at the dealer (warranty @49K miles), so I didn't get to choose to go with the Alradco or Ron Davis. If you search around, leaking at the seams is a common issue on these cars. The stock radiator is about $300 (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19259456) and an upgraded model will be closer to $500+. The radiator swap doesn't require hardly anything to be removed to get it out and the new one in.

I removed my underbody shield, rinsed the engine off, let it dry, then drove it for a few miles then jacked up the side so I could get my head under there enough to see where the fluid was coming from. It should be pretty easy to see if it's coming from a hose or the pump, since the upper and lower hoses are pretty far from the pump itself.

In my case, the coolant was appearing at the bottom of the radiator on both sides, some coolant was on the hose but it was evident that it was not coming from the hose itself and likely from the metal seams in the radiator. Any shop should be able to pressure test it to determine "what" is leaking if you want an opinion before you start buying parts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CTS-V Radiator.pdf (58.2 KB, 629 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

i have a stock radiator for sale. will ship out a.s.a.p. 100 + shipping
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I love repair moments which give you an excuse to upgrade. Force me to put that all aluminum high capacity ron davis radiator in! haha no better way to upgrade.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I love repair moments which give you an excuse to upgrade. Force me to put that all aluminum high capacity ron davis radiator in! haha no better way to upgrade.
Hahaha, so true! I probably would never buy an aftermarket radiator without an excuse to justify the cost.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

I just replaced my radiator for the second time since august. Mine was leaking at the seams both times. Did the work myself. Not hard at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Maybe water pump mine looked like it was leaking by rad it was all in the right side
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine leaked under the coolant return on the top of the radiator, had a crack 3ish inches long. I can have my radiator out in about 20ish minutes, requires really basic tools, all in all the whole job took about an hour. Dont pay someone to do it, its cake man. If you shop around you can get a stock radiator for as low as 130~ shipped. (This is the route I took as I dont plan on keeping the car much longer)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
JDB
Launching!

Agree with the others that it's probably the rad... common issue ....mine failed around 30k and was replaced under CPO warranty. Well, crappy dealer handed me a bottle of coolant and said the rad was on galactic backorder. I just topped off with distilled water and shelved the coolant.... waiting for the day when this rad pops.

Look up AlRadCo. I wouldn't even bother with OEM, if I was buying one.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
JDB
Launching!

(Double post)

Last edited by JDB; 01-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak