Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Cradle Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cradle Parking Brake

I'm about to drop the rear cradle again for revs gift bushings and new axles. Last time I dropped it I couldn't get the damn parking brake cable disconnected, it was too tight so I ended up working on the cradle under the car which made life not so fun seeing as i was on jack stands.

I do have the factory service manual but it was not help, anybody have any tips?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disconnect it from the E-Brake pedal cable, close to where the trans crossmember is. Get under the car, pull the cable down, take a small pair of vice grips and clamp the pedal end of the cable where it passes through to the underneath of the car (to hold it out, keeping it from returning into the car). Now that the cable has plenty of slack, just disconnect the cable from the union.

Too much crap out at the rear...plenty of room where the pedal cable attaches to the cable going out back.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL parking brake cable TO TIGHT?!?! never heard that before

Originally Posted by DMM
Disconnect it from the E-Brake pedal cable, close to where the trans crossmember is. Get under the car, pull the cable down, take a small pair of vice grips and clamp the pedal end of the cable where it passes through to the underneath of the car (to hold it out, keeping it from returning into the car). Now that the cable has plenty of slack, just disconnect the cable from the union.

Too much crap out at the rear...plenty of room where the pedal cable attaches to the cable going out back.
damn wish i knew that before i did my install. what a PITA to get the cable back on.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah they could have designed that better
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMM

Oh snap that's perfect not sure why I didn't think about that! I was trying to disconnect at the rear or cradle itself. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I'm about to drop the rear cradle again for revs gift bushings and new axles. Last time I dropped it I couldn't get the damn parking brake cable disconnected, it was too tight so I ended up working on the cradle under the car which made life not so fun seeing as i was on jack stands.

I do have the factory service manual but it was not help, anybody have any tips?
Is it worth dropping the cradle to do the bushings? What else needs to move besides the E-brake cable and exhaust?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why un hook the cable? I had the whole hub dissconnected (easy enough) and let it dangle/sit on the floor. It will not hurt that cable...and you will not have to deal with taking it off. Also if you plan on dropping it very low you will have to dissconnect the brake lines as well and I'm not sure thats a project you would like to get involved in.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Why un hook the cable? I had the whole hub dissconnected (easy enough) and let it dangle/sit on the floor. It will not hurt that cable...and you will not have to deal with taking it off. Also if you plan on dropping it very low you will have to dissconnect the brake lines as well and I'm not sure thats a project you would like to get involved in.
Brake lines are already disconnected from Stainless line issues. The main reason I'm dropping it all the way and pulling it from under the car is to get my creative steel diff bushing out, don't have a press and it's gonna take some pounding to get that bastard out as it was a pain getting in.

Also doing axles so it's easiest to drop the whole cradle and pull it to another part of my shop where I can disassemble remove then reassemble and install axles, diff, cradle, trailing arm & control arm bushings with lots of room to work.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
Is it worth dropping the cradle to do the bushings? What else needs to move besides the E-brake cable and exhaust?
I would say it's definitely worth it, I honestly would have a real hard time working on anything if I didn't have my lift.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I dropped my gas tank at the same time, so I dropped it completely. If I was just doing the bushings, I would just unbolt the cable from under the car and let it hang while still connected. I had the cradle on the floor and the car about 5 ft in the air with the cable still attached this way.

If I didn't drop the tank, I never would have disconnected the cable. Although, if you need to separate the cradle from the body completely, the union at the E-Brake pedal is the best way to go.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isis
Not necessarily if you're just doing bushings and don't mind working under the car, but like DMM said working said no lift = PITA! Also dropping the cradle is not difficult, exhaust, e-brake cable and one brake line (which will require you to bleed the whole system).

Quick Reply: Rear Cradle Parking Brake