Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 Stealth grey big cam custom turbo CTS-V (beautiful car)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks door posting up man. Feel free to post more vids on this thread anytime! Consider it yours... Lol

[ QUOTE=ssinister550;17102550]Lol thanks for the compliments to those that gave them, yes its still a work in progress and a lot has been cleaned up and changed since this vid. And as gulf M3 stated I experienced an over boost situation on a 15 degree night after changing a wastegate line and the #7 piston wasn't very excited about it haha. But I just finished up a forged ls2 shortblock for it along with some portwork to the heads, hope to have the car back together this weekend. Looking for a mild and reliable 700rwhp. As for the cam I wouldn't say it's opposite to an ideal turbo grind but it does feature more overlap than most people would like, but I wanted it to sound rowdy and the power curve climbs continuously past 7k so I don't think it's leaving much on the table. Once again thanks for the kind words and I'll post up more when I have a "finished product".[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive vids before it went boom? does sound and look great
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I would love to see some pics of the turbo piping, I am finishing up my fuel system, then starting on a turbo setup much like that.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

I wish I knew how to post pics and vids from my iPhone bc that's all I've got rn my desktop is down. If someone knows how let me know and I will post a few pics and a vid of a 1st-3rd gear pull on 6psi.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Frostbite what are you doing for a fuel system? That's one thing that might limit my 700rwhp goal. All I have is a set of mototron 63lb injectors and a dw301 pump with hotwire kit. I've seen the dw301 support 600 wheel on E85 without a BAP, so being that pump gas takes 30% less fuel, it might be doable but it's questionable. Also the mototron 63lb injectors I've seen support 700rwhp in multiple V8 applications but it also seems like that could be a bit of a stretch as well especially with the stock regulator and stock return setup. I imagine I'll probably end up with a boost a pump and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator with a full return setup. But I'll see how far this setup will go.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to see and hear other are going the turbo route. It's about time. Mines a build in progress. Got the motor finally and that'll be going in in a couple weeks. Then it's off the the fab shop for its ford 9" solid axle rear end. When that's all said and done I'm doin my twins setup but it'll be a Little different then most. My goal is 1200 on high boost and somewhere around 800ish on low. I've been sayin it for a while but build thread coming soon. I do like this setup though. I'm on the fence on where I'm wanting to mount the turbos.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can upload the vid from your phone to your youtube account and post the link from there... or you can PM me and send them to me and i can post it.
Sweet ride!!

Originally Posted by ssinister550
I wish I knew how to post pics and vids from my iPhone bc that's all I've got rn my desktop is down. If someone knows how let me know and I will post a few pics and a vid of a 1st-3rd gear pull on 6psi.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

He sent me some pictures and a video if i get time today ill post them...VERY cool build.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Owner of this car, we should meet up sometime in the future, I'd love to check this thing out. I manage the oreilly in Moore, I have a 2005 V.

The guy with the silver GTO, fast 102 and nitrous set up was telling me about your car (Kyle, I think is his name?)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I am doing 2 walbro 255's in the tank with -8 feed and return. The 2nd pump will be on a hobbs switch with a manual override switch. The remaining parts should arrive tomorrow, and will hopefully finish the tank up this weekend.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zexell
Owner of this car, we should meet up sometime in the future, I'd love to check this thing out. I manage the oreilly in Moore, I have a 2005 V.

The guy with the silver GTO, fast 102 and nitrous set up was telling me about your car (Kyle, I think is his name?)
Sounds good man like I said I hope to have it back on the road this weekend and back on the dyno next Monday, maybe I'll stop by sometime thereafter. Btw I think the person you speak of is Clint, sound right?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I am doing 2 walbro 255's in the tank with -8 feed and return. The 2nd pump will be on a hobbs switch with a manual override switch. The remaining parts should arrive tomorrow, and will hopefully finish the tank up this weekend.
Interested to see how your doing this. Mind posting pics? I've thought about adding another dw301 but would have to do a custom pump assembly which I'm not too interested in since this is my daily driver and I'd rather not re engineer my fuel system too lol it's been enough of a pain building this turbo kit hah, but if there's a way to do twin pumps in the tank that doesn't require any heroics I might look into it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssinister550
Sounds good man like I said I hope to have it back on the road this weekend and back on the dyno next Monday, maybe I'll stop by sometime thereafter. Btw I think the person you speak of is Clint, sound right?
Very likely.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
He sent me some pictures and a video if i get time today ill post them...VERY cool build.
patiently waiting for vids
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I will post up some pics once I get it together and finalized. I got both pumps to fit in the stock bucket, and if I had used the stock feed, it would be very inexpensive. Might have to trade you for pics of your turbo hotside, still trying to figure out a smooth transition. Haha
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Finally got the ol desktop fired up again ill try to keep you guys updated a bit better and maybe start my own thread here soon...

Originally Posted by McCall
That car sounds great and I like the color but that turbo install, wow. Not only is there a big potential for dragging damage while driving, the routing of the hoses, lack of proper securing, and use of materials is sub-par. I don't mean to call anyone out but it needs to be pointed out that is not how to do it. Heck, there's even a rubber hose running through a hole in the frame? That will be cut in less than 6 months. Has this installer ever heard of AN fittings, braided hose, and bulk heads?? For the $$ I'm sure was spent, those type of things needs to be standard practice.

But I do like the car overall...
First off, lowest point is 3.75'' from the ground, the mid pipes on my wifes 04 gto are 2.5'' from the ground and rarely ever scrape. After 6 months of driving with the turbo kit installed, I have yet to have a clearance issue. Second, the hose going through the framerail was merely a temporary wastegate vaccum line that I poked through an existing hole to keep it from hanging, it stayed in there for about 5 months (not in use) untill I came to a conclusion on my permanent wg line routing and finally removed it lol beleive it or not it was in great shape not cut. Not sure what else is not up to your standards but since then I have changed oil scavenge pumps along with completely re doing the oil return lines (yes with AN fittings and hose, initial setup was cheap for testing). And you mention money spent, In the turbo kit alone including everything but fuel system parts I have right around 2k invested, and built everything right where it sits in this vid, in my driveway on jackstands, all while daily driving this car to work every weekday. Took me about 4 weekends to do all the mock up and fab work, putting the car back to stock for the work week. Needless to say I didn't have years to spend on it, nor did I spend thousands of dollars on it, These things considered I feel like it turned out pretty nice now that 99% of the kinks have been worked out.

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Good to hear! 700 to the tires shouldn't be a problem, long as you can fuel it. Keep us posted.

Thank you sir! and thanks again for your input, and Yes the turbo placement here was inspired by gulf's twin kit, but to keep my unique i opted for a big single

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Bigger turbo then necessary and a cam opposite of what you want for a turbo car..............sounds good though.
How is a 78mm single turbo too big for a 700rwhp (with potential to grow) application on a 365 ci engine? couldn't get a whole lot more theoretically correct as far as size goes if you ask me, especially for the 500 dollars I paid for it
And as for the cam, people can beat the "turbo cam" horse to death but this isn't a max effort ODR car or anything, its a mere streetcar with 4 doors that I drive to work daily and drag the family around in. Cam doesnt need to be the most perfect turbo cam ever. My goal with this cam was for it to make the car sound good at idle, and I have yet to have someone testify that I didnt meet that goal, plus, it has a much better power curve than my stock cammed turbo camaro had so I'm fairly certain theres not much power on the table in the camshaft department. Also, being that I work at a Race Engine shop and have been through extensive camshaft theory lecture during my education at SAM racing, and have since been employed in the performance industry for the past 5 years, Im fairly confident in my cam selection skills . Not to mention this cam was boought used from a buddy and I only bought it because it was "close enough" for my goals not to mention I payed less for this cam than what I sold my stock ls6 cam for Thanks for the compliment though
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Update as of three weeks ago:

finally got it back on the dyno, only to hit another fuel system wall. Fuel pressure starts dropping by 4k rpm and by 5500 it was down to 40psi at the rail on 9lb boost. Needless to say we stopped there, didnt turn it any higher.

Good news:

By 5500rpm the car was already making 540rwhp on 9 psi and a mere 13 degrees timing, which is about 75 more hp at 5500rpm than it made with the ls6/stock heads and same cam, same boost/timing. And like I said, had to let out early due to fueling. I plan to turn this new motor 7500rpm. So judging by how hard the power curve was still climbing at 5500 (about 10hp per 100rpm), I'd say it should make at least 600, probably closer to 650 on this boost level with proper fueling. Plus more once we start getting some timing in it also. And definately even more yet when I feed it a few more lbs of boost Otherwords, fuel system providing, my 700 rwhp goal should be a walk in the park... Also, I finally ordered all the stuff to get rid of the factory regulator setup, convert to brfpr 1:1 reg, and full return setup. So if I ever have time i'll get that stuff all lined out and get it back on the rollers and see what happens

Bad news:

More time and $$$$$
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet car man... I enjoy seeing the turbo builds
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DMM
I was planning on doing nearly the same thing, only using Comp Oil-less turbos. Only problem was that nobody would even talk to me about their damn product, so I got an E Force instead.

I'm sure some things could have been done better, but installing turbo's on our cars are hard enough as it is.
Got a thread on your EForce build?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool setup.

fwiw: If a CAMSHAFT makes power NA....it'll make power with FI. Everyone said my cam wouldn't work but,..at the time,...it made more power then most high dolla, built bottom end high boost cars.

Compression/camshafts are where your gonna make your power. All just depends on what your using the car for.

Dig the color,..dig the build.

Quick Reply: 05 Stealth grey big cam custom turbo CTS-V (beautiful car)