Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Evap Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evap Delete

Who has deleted their Evap return system? I did a little reading and it seems I would need to install a filter at the carbon canister or at some point just to keep dirt out and I can just do away with the solenoid on the intake and the second line under the hood. I tried searching but to no avail.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe this is uncharted territorry for the V crowd. I don't really have a reason to get rid of it other than that it is kind of ungly crossing my intake. Has anyone come up with alternate routing that looks a little nicer?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you looking to delete the PCV?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Evap delete, not pcv.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

If I recall correctly the evap has a sensor on it which might need to be turned off. Curious to see how this works out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
If I recall correctly the evap has a sensor on it which might need to be turned off. Curious to see how this works out.
I will have to turn off the error reporting.

The PCV system is critical and i would never delete it. The evap to my understanding vents excess pressure in the fuel tank and that the line coming from it needs to remain open to the atmosphere to vent the fuel tank. I probably need some kind of roll over valve/one way check valve to install in place of the solenoid.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good idea with ethonal blended fuel that we have everywhere.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

I thought the evap just bled off pressure and vapors from the fuel tank into the intake to be burned. I don't know what ethanol would have to do with that. My 1970 Elcamino SS vents to the atmosphere no problemo.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
I thought the evap just bled off pressure and vapors from the fuel tank into the intake to be burned. I don't know what ethanol would have to do with that. My 1970 Elcamino SS vents to the atmosphere no problemo.
Phase separation.

Long story short, alcohol absorbs moisture...once this occurs, the various components of the fuel are no longer a homogeneous mixture. The alcohol which serves as an octane additive (not to mention the whole host of other additive's that are affected) no longer serve their intended purpose. Granted, if you maintain a fresh tank of fuel in the car every time you drive it (or have access to ethanol free fuel, known as "E0") you may never notice a difference.

Otherwise, you're only hurting yourself.

Edit: Article on phase separation: http://www.enertechlabs.com/fuel_pha...in_ethanol.htm
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I go through a tank a week. Could that much alcohol evaporate through a 3/8th inch hole? I don't know that I am stuck on getting rid of it but I would at least make it look a little better.

I reread the article and I guess it is saying that the alcohol draws moisture and evaporates which in turn lowers octane. We have 93 octane fuel with less than 10% ethanol (supposedly)

Last edited by Bowtie70SS; 01-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

You have to remember that you are the end user, and the fuel that you fill in your tank could have already absorbed 9/10th's of the required moisture in order to cause phase separation through the normal supply chain.

If you re-read the article in the link you will find that the degradation of the fuels octane rating is only one of the detriments. Ethanol is corrosive to many materials, and can also expedite electrolysis in dissimilar metals. It's no stretch of the imagination to theorize that the fuel pump (or anything else in the entire fuel system) could suffer substantial wear over a very short period of time.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a "sexy" EVAP system, but if that's what your after it's probably in your best interest to get some braided line.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, you make a good point. I have a Matercool flaring kit (it does push connect flares) so I can make part of it out of steel or aluminum tubing and connectors to connect -6 line to it. I was already considering the braided line. THanks for taking the time to post the link to actually explain why not to delete the evap system.

Quick Reply: Evap Delete