Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Newbie | 2006 CTS-V | Intro | Mod Help/Input/Suggestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Newbie | 2006 CTS-V | Intro | Mod Help/Input/Suggestions!!

Hey guys! I'm sure all of you seasoned vets on here get tired of the new guys posting threads like this, but I'll add another to the list I suppose.

I've been trolling around on LS1Tech and Caddy Forums for a while, but have recently begun staying a bit more plugged in. I picked the V up about five months ago. She's bone stock other than a Lingenfelter Short Throw Shifter (A.M.A.Z.I.N.G) and has right around 43k miles on the clock. I picked it up from a guy in Ft. Wayne, IN(Ohio roots, so I was doing some shopping in the general vicinity) and is now residing in my garage in Houston, TX (any other Houston V guys out there?!?...I need some buds!...took a job in the oil/gas world after finishing up at Ohio State in 2011).

Anyway, I've been driving the V for a few months fairly regularly now, and I've just about had enough with the bone stock-ness of it. I've had mods planned since before I even purchased the thing, but wanted to drive it a while and get a feel for what directions I was wanting to go with it. I'm currently looking into sending her under the knife, but haven't decided how extensive I want to get with things (also torn between a couple different brands, etc.)

This thread may be fairly useless, cause I'm sure there are other ones devoted specifically to these types of questions, but was hoping you all may be able to properly direct me to any threads that may be useful pertaining to the info below.

I'm looking at doing a cam/headers/exhaust (VERY torn on brand...I know everyone's answer will be Kooks/Corsa, but I'm going either the B&B route or Stainless Works...INPUT REQUESTED, low-pro cut-outs, motor/tranny mounts, CAI, 160* T-Stat . A clutch/flywheel and wheel-hop reduction/elimination axles are on the list as well, but I'll approach those when the factory clutch starts telling me it's her time to go.

Money is a concern, but I fully understand the idiom 'Fast, Reliable, Cheap...Pick Two'. So, with that being said, it's not always the deciding factor in the decision making process. I'm also flirting with ported head work . Maybe this sounds a bit extreme right off the bat for a stock car, but I've been planning my build for far too long, and I've finally got the chance to start making some of these things happen...and if I can swing it financially, it makes sense to get a bulk of this work done at once. Also, I practically stole the car from the guy with the price I got, so it left a little more wiggle room for future mods.

I've tried attaching a pic, so hopefully it comes through alright. I dabble with my Nikon when time allows, but am still a hack compared to the guys that know what they're doing.

Hopefully none of that came off too aggressively, etc. You all know a TON more about V's than I do due to your vast knowledge, past experiences, etc....and that's exactly why I've come for help/input/guidance!

My name's Russell (note the "creative" username...) and I look forward to hearing back (and possibly meeting any of you Houston V owners!). If this doesn't catch much interest as far as input goes, maybe you guys could at least direct me to some useful and relevant threads to some of my questions!

Thanks!

Last edited by DangeRusss; 02-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DangeRusss
Houston V guys out there?!?...I need some buds

I'm looking at doing a cam/headers/exhaust (VERY torn on brand...I know everyone's answer will be Kooks/Corsa, but I'm going either the B&B route or Stainless Works...INPUT REQUESTED, low-pro cut-outs, motor/tranny mounts, CAI, 160* T-Stat . A clutch/flywheel and wheel-hop reduction/elimination axles are on the list as well, but I'll approach those when the factory clutch starts telling me it's her time to go.
With out too much flame...

Lots of Houston V's out there...search, key word Houston.

B&B Is the only true 3" exhuast...I have read stainless works has some 2.5" spots. It is also the loudest.

Heads=lots of options hopefully just leaving college you still have lots of time to study. Just now its just on parts for the V online, not books.

Headers=OBX only 1 7/8" available (cept kooks) half the price of kooks and are basically a direct knock off of kooks.

Motor mounts =UMI

Trans mount=revshift insert.

Clutch/FW=Mike S. K. Speed

IMO dont waste money on rear end band aids. Im a problem solver, not a sweep it under the rug kinda guy. Good news for you, couple guys here (Houston) are building a 8.8 DIY thread so...I'd jump on that.

There is SOOO.... much more. Welcome to the modification disease. It's terminal with most. Hope you have disposable income, and can install parts (work on your car) yourself. Again! Plenty of guys around you (Houston) who can help.

Lastly all of this could have been answered on your own, taking your own time, to do your own search, and come up with your own answers. So...stop wasting our time! and welcome to the V community! ^ the noob flame portion.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 02-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Launching!

B&B Does sound amazing...i love the rev shift mm.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Replied on the other forum, Welcome!

Agree with NIKDSC5 on the 8.8 route, that said if you don't have the cash then the "bandaids" are a good investment. Most of the bushings will remain even with an 8.8 swap and the axles would be an easy resell if you decided to upgrade to 8.8 down the line.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome, now trade the thing for a v2 asap before you end up pot committed like the rest of us haha.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listen to your friends on instagram.. obx headers/no cats/whatever mufflers you like

8.8 kit takes the car to another level.. fell back in love with it after the install

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

B&B Is the only true 3" exhuast...I have read stainless works has some 2.5" spots. It is also the loudest.
nope, Stainless works full exhaust is 100% 3in mandrel bent
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

headers, tune, exhaust of your choice. Unless you have issues stick with your 06 Diff, as upgrading is a lot of cash or custom work. If you do headers do motor mounts at the same time otherwise you have to remove them later.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

car looks clean! Welcome.

I've got B&B headers, hiflow cats, and B&B catback that I'm going to be installing in april...cant wait. check out the exhaust clip sticky, that will help you decide between all the options.

goodluck

Quick Reply: Newbie | 2006 CTS-V | Intro | Mod Help/Input/Suggestions!!