Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

AMSOIL Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Running Pennzoil Syncromesh and this stuff is great. It is what GM used to brand as GM synchromesh. my personal favorite atleast
I think I'm going to try this next, I found some of the Pennzoil Syncromesh at AutoZone for cheap add the no shipping and this is a route I can't pass on!

By the way my order for the filter and some metal protector from AMSOIL arrived at my front door the next day, mad props to a vendor that knows how to ship an order quickly.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not gonna spend all day arguing this point. The synchronizers in this transmission ARE DESIGNED TO WORK WITH ATF. All the blocker rings are are small, conical shaped rings with a friction pad. When you're choosing a gear, the synchro slows the gear down to the speed of the other gears, and allows the gears to mesh properly without destroying the teeth of the gears.

When you increase or decrease fluid thickness and viscosity, it's forcing the rings to work out of their normal operating range, causing excessive wear on the pads, which will in turn, lead to worn out synchros. As Bowtie70SS (which, btw, isn't a hobbyist like ourselves, he's been doing this **** for as long as most of us have been alive. He's rebuilt more transmissions than we've seen), has said, the engineers at Tremec didn't just simply overlook using something other than ATF.

We're not garage chemists, and to be quite honest, I'd fill a T56 with 4 quarts of gear oil before I mixed gear oil in with ATF.

As a matter of fact, just to prove increased lubrication isn't always good in our cars, I just went and bought a bunch of wheel bearing grease, and will be filling my transmission up with as much as it will hold.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I think I'm going to try this next, I found some of the Pennzoil Syncromesh at AutoZone for cheap add the no shipping and this is a route I can't pass on!
Before spending a ton of money on designer brands of fluid, give 4 quarts of this stuff a try. I've been told to use this by the shop that rebuilt my transmission, a guy at Fatsco, and the phone man at TheGearBox.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...fier=7395_0_0_
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of putting gear oil in the trans lol. I think we need an actual transmission builder I'm here to get this potentially horrible advice off the forums.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
I'm not gonna spend all day arguing this point. The synchronizers in this transmission ARE DESIGNED TO WORK WITH ATF. All the blocker rings are are small, conical shaped rings with a friction pad. When you're choosing a gear, the synchro slows the gear down to the speed of the other gears, and allows the gears to mesh properly without destroying the teeth of the gears.

When you increase or decrease fluid thickness and viscosity, it's forcing the rings to work out of their normal operating range, causing excessive wear on the pads, which will in turn, lead to worn out synchros. As Bowtie70SS (which, btw, isn't a hobbyist like ourselves, he's been doing this **** for as long as most of us have been alive. He's rebuilt more transmissions than we've seen), has said, the engineers at Tremec didn't just simply overlook using something other than ATF.

We're not garage chemists, and to be quite honest, I'd fill a T56 with 4 quarts of gear oil before I mixed gear oil in with ATF.

As a matter of fact, just to prove increased lubrication isn't always good in our cars, I just went and bought a bunch of wheel bearing grease, and will be filling my transmission up with as much as it will hold.
My trans needs a rebuild...have not gotten around to it yet. Second gear was pretty gnarly to get into when hot until I changed the fluid with GM Syncromesh...smooth as butter when hot now. It's not the best when cold...but shifts like a dream when hot.

Just my $0.02.

You might need to use a grease gun to fill the trans to capacity. Just tryin to help....

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Order