Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Makes it hard to invest in a V1..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad we're talking about time slips here because they're a real wake up call in terms of limitations of the V1 without spending a lot of money (and time!). I was on the fence when I I bought my 07 V1 a year and a half ago. I always liked the lines on the V1 better than the v2, and still do. I test drove a brand new 2012 v2 at the dealer, salesman le me beat on it too, and I was impressed (auto not stick car). But after reading rwhp numbers on manual vs stick cars, I decided I needed a stick. Problem was it was near impossible to find a v2 on the used market for a decent price. I wasn't going to buy new. Been through that loss before. And then came along one of the most beautiful cars I had ever seen... A 2007 V1 thundergray Chromaflair black interior with a moonroof. Already had powdercoated matte black wheels, katech shifter, k&n intake, and magma flow exhaust. I couldn't resist. 67k miles, perfect paint, still under CPO warranty for a year.
I've owned it for a year and a half now. Additional mods- 180 thermostat, w4m tuner, custom stainless bolt in straight pipes (no cats), g-force small driver axle (econo kit), USA spec iPod interface. All stock otherwise.
Pros- great fun fast freeway car, looks mean as hell
Cons- WHEEL HOP!!!, radio sucks, cheap interior, v2 is way faster
Had it out to the drags at Sonoma for the Wednesday night drags opener. Best I pulled was 13.56. I'd say with the wheel hop issue, 13.0 would be a perfect pass. 13 seconds does not feel rewarding for the work I have into this ride. I read everyone's posts about how to fix wheel hop, but with a stock rear end, it seems like a wild goose chase. I just had the dealer replace my rear end, under warranty, just before my warranty ran out.
Long story short, I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on not getting a v2. Alright, go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong.
P.S. This is for guys who aren't going to do blowers, turbos, 8.8's, etc. I figure all the value saved in buying a v1 goes out the rear end when compared to a v2.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i guess it all comes down to what you want out of the car and what you have to spend

if i wanted to have a nice fun car that i wasnt going to excessively mod i would get a V2
higher up front cost but a better car in near stock form. bigger gains for less cost.

but for me i know how i am and there is no "bolt on only" bs for me. so i got the much cheaper V1.
and modded the **** out of it
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Wierdist thing, once I turboed the car, the wheel hop completely dissapeared, guess it just makes to much power for it now??
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
Wierdist thing, once I turboed the car, the wheel hop completely dissapeared, guess it just makes to much power for it now??
I'd be willing to bet with some sticky tires (drag radials) and a hard launch (dig) from a stand still you would say otherwise. And you also may be towing that beast home from there.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I'd be willing to bet with some sticky tires (drag radials) and a hard launch (dig) from a stand still you would say otherwise. And you also may be towing that beast home from there.
I'm doing the CS 8.8 before I put any sticky's on, question though, CS never says anything about their axles being anti-hop, I would assume though that they are???
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
FoD
On The Tree

I assume they are as well...but I do find it interesting that most reviews of the 8.8 state it fixes wheel hop, some say it is still present, and one I read said it was worse than stock.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FoD
I assume they are as well...but I do find it interesting that most reviews of the 8.8 state it fixes wheel hop, some say it is still present, and one I read said it was worse than stock.
THats concerning when I am about to drop $4k on it, guess I will have to talk to them, perhaps I will forego the axles from CS and get Gforce Antihop axles, if it can be made to work...? Gonna start a new thread on this...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
I'm doing the CS 8.8 before I put any sticky's on, question though, CS never says anything about their axles being anti-hop, I would assume though that they are???
Any axle other than stock is "anti-hop". The hop comes from the crappy stock design.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I spent $20 in metal... about 3 hours of my time... didn't replace any bushings... no more wheel hop and I can hard launch with stickies... weird
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Interesting Topic. I love my V1 but a lot of my love has to do with the fact I got it for 11,315 with only 60k on the dial (purchased from the dealer I work out). It is an awesome car that does a lot of things well but I am very cognizant of the fact the the v2 is in a different league. Now if you are looking to build a 700+whp car, you can save a lot of money by building a v1, but it still comes down to the fact that it is easier to do with a V2, especially for those who have the money but lack the time and know how.

Quick Reply: Makes it hard to invest in a V1..