Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
You lose some of your side to side compliance with stiffer swaybars. That's the point but it really does affect the ride if your roads are uneven. I try to keep them stock or really close on a daily driver. It's just preference.

Has anybody found a urethane bushing for the stock bars? Probably could find some just off pictures and a few measurements.
Side to side compliance? If anything, a super stiff swaybar coupled with very stiff linear springs might reduce the ability of your suspension to act independently, but based on my experience with 650/700 Eibach linear springs and the Hotchkis and Addco kits, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-19-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Side to side compliance? If anything, a super stiff swaybar coupled with very stiff linear springs might reduce the ability of your suspension to act independently, but based on my experience with 650/700 Eibach linear springs and the Hotchkis and Addco kits, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I'm not worried, I'm sticking with stock bars. It will be less pronounced with stiff springs. On stock springs it will be way more noticeable. . I've played with cars enough to know my own preferences. I live in PA. It's like driving on the moon. Suspension travel and independence is an asset. Ground clearance comes in handy too. I'm sure your car handles great, but I wouldn't want that setup in a PA winter with 8" deep potholes everywhere.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not worried, I'm sticking with stock bars. It will be less pronounced with stiff springs. On stock springs it will be way more noticeable. . I've played with cars enough to know my own preferences. I live in PA. It's like driving on the moon. Suspension travel and independence is an asset. Ground clearance comes in handy too. I'm sure your car handles great, but I wouldn't want that setup in a PA winter with 8" deep potholes everywhere.
X2 for Baltimore
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I live in PA. It's like driving on the moon. Suspension travel and independence is an asset. Ground clearance comes in handy too. I'm sure your car handles great, but I wouldn't want that setup in a PA winter with 8" deep potholes everywhere.
PA is featured on page 3.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/the-7-w...ideshow=slide3
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 for some sway bars???

Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
X2 for Baltimore
X10 for MN. Thee potholes this year are insane and they build up until they decide to fix them in spring.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by johnny6
$500 for some sway bars???
Then you're going to hate the cost of every other functional V mod, until you discover how much BMW and Porsche users pay for the same stuff.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I live near the 79/70 interchange. They're not lying.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then you're going to hate the cost of every other functional V mod, until you discover how much BMW and Porsche users pay for the same stuff.
I love the prices of V1 stuff. Of course, my last car was a BMW M3.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I straight-up don't understand why you would replace the stock bushings. Get new sway bars. They come with new bushings and you no longer have that ridiculous body lean.
Not everyone wants to spend $500 when $25 will do the trick. And I can't say I've ever noticed the body lean because I'm too busy sliding around on the poor seats.

Then we live in entirely different worlds. Sway bars fall under the category of major improvements costing minor dollars.
I wouldn't say they provide major improvements - I'd say they're just a fine tuning thing.

You lose some of your side to side compliance with stiffer swaybars. That's the point but it really does affect the ride if your roads are uneven. I try to keep them stock or really close on a daily driver. It's just preference.
There was a noticeable improvement in ride quality when I took the front Hotchkis bar off and went back to the stock front bar. Handling balance was better, too, so it was a win-win for me.

Has anybody found a urethane bushing for the stock bars? Probably could find some just off pictures and a few measurements.
I'm using either Prothane or Energy Suspension 26mm poly bushings with the Hotchkis billet bushing brackets on my stock front bar.

If you look to the right of the bushing, below the sway bar, you can see just the bottom portion of a black metal block - that's the spacer that Hotchkis includes, which accounts for the strange shape of the stock bushing bracket (seen here). By putting that block in there, you can use a normal U-shaped bushing bracket. You could recreate the same effect with a stack of washers or maybe some pipe nipples cut to the proper length.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I think an alignment would be a more appropriate than using the flimsy OEM bar.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I think an alignment would be a more appropriate than using the flimsy OEM bar.
What does an alignment have to do with sway bar bushings or swapping the sway bar?

"Flimsy"
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
What does an alignment have to do with sway bar bushings or swapping the sway bar?

"Flimsy"
Sorry for the confusion. Restatement: isn't it better to adjust understeer/oversteer through adjustments to your alignment and run the biggest bar you can find (without lifting a wheel, obviously)? That way, you maintain better posture through turns and keep air out from under the body.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

I was merging aggresively onto a highway last night, and the car yawed back and forth in a manner that was unaccpetable to me. Is that something that be remedied by a front sway bar? Or is that a cradle bushing issue? My understanding is that the cradle bushings will manifest as more of a wiggle, but the sway bar as more of a yaw.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Not everyone wants to spend $500 when $25 will do the trick. And I can't say I've ever noticed the body lean because I'm too busy sliding around on the poor seats.

I wouldn't say they provide major improvements - I'd say they're just a fine tuning thing.

There was a noticeable improvement in ride quality when I took the front Hotchkis bar off and went back to the stock front bar. Handling balance was better, too, so it was a win-win for me.

I'm using either Prothane or Energy Suspension 26mm poly bushings with the Hotchkis billet bushing brackets on my stock front bar.

If you look to the right of the bushing, below the sway bar, you can see just the bottom portion of a black metal block - that's the spacer that Hotchkis includes, which accounts for the strange shape of the stock bushing bracket (seen here). By putting that block in there, you can use a normal U-shaped bushing bracket. You could recreate the same effect with a stack of washers or maybe some pipe nipples cut to the proper length.
Do the urethane bushings not fit in the stock brackets?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

If the body of your car is rolling around its axis of motion, a stiffer sway bar will help with that. Yaw is this:

Are we on the same page? If you managed to do that, you're probably jerking the car around, since most production cars are set up to have a large amount of understeer by default (and therefore aren't prone to swapping ends).

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

If the body of your car is rolling around its axis of motion, a stiffer sway bar will help with that. Yaw is this:

Are we on the same page? If you managed to do that, you're probably jerking the car around, since most production cars are set up to have a large amount of understeer by default (and therefore aren't prone to swapping ends).
Ah, got it. I was not experiencing yaw; I was experiencing roll. Basically, I make an aggressive lane change and the car body continues to travel in that direction, even when I have straighted out the chassis in my desired direction of travel. It then rolls back. I can see how this would result in yaw if done aggresively, but that's not what I was experiencing.

So, I'm a little short on cash. What's the best sway bar upgrade for this car-- front or back. It feels like the car is rolling much more up front to me, but that could be just because that's where I'm sitting.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you'll get different answers from different people. Personally, I like more of a GMPP setup (huge front bar) to flatten out the body, combined with aggressive alignment settings that reduce understeer. The result is very crisp response to inputs and very little body lean--even when pushing the car to 1.1+ lateral G.

A couple of people have already asked to buy my spare front bar, whenever I figure out which one I want to get rid of. If you don't care about weight or want the stiffest sway bar available, the front Addco bar is about $200.

Keep in mind that stiffer springs and lowering the car (which lowers the car's center of gravity) will also have a significant impact on body lean. You won't be perfectly flat during casual driving until you do all three, but each change will be noticeable.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I think you'll get different answers from different people. Personally, I like more of a GMPP setup (huge front bar) to flatten out the body, combined with aggressive alignment settings that reduce understeer. The result is very crisp response to inputs and very little body lean--even when pushing the car to 1.1+ lateral G.

A couple of people have already asked to buy my spare front bar, whenever I figure out which one I want to get rid of. If you don't care about weight or want the stiffest sway bar available, the front Addco bar is about $200.

Keep in mind that stiffer springs and lowering the car (which lowers the car's center of gravity) will also have a significant impact on body lean. You won't be perfectly flat during casual driving until you do all three, but each change will be noticeable.
Thanks for this advice... technical and informative, as usual.

Lowering would be unwise for me, given that I live in the city. I think front sway bar, either Addco or GMPP, along with alignment would be the best choice. So you may have a GMPP bar for sale? They're out of production currently, right?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I was only referring to GMPP insomuch as their front bar was much larger in proportion to the rear bar. You could achieve the same effect if you found a used front Hotchkis bar and left the rear stock, for instance.

Quick Reply: Sway bar bushings