Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

TruBendz Cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default TruBendz Cats

I just installed a pair in my car. Nice set, pretty cheap. Rest of exhaust is stock. Doesn't sound much different until you open the throttle past halfway or rev it past 3k. No Engine light with a spark-plug non-fouler O2 extension on each rear O2 sensor. Inspection isn't due until July so I'll have to update.

Other than the nuts on the stock manifolds being stuck like hell, and the bolts they sent to attach the catback were an inch too short, it's as straightforward as it looks. Stock ones come out with the sensors intact, which is good since there's not much room for a wrench around the stock cats. They (trubendz) have the front O2 on the left side clocked right in front of the one flange stud, so that O2 has to go in after the front flange is tightened up. You can't get to the nut with the sensor in the way. Luckily these cats are much smaller so there's more access to take the sensor out and put it back.

I hit the nuts with PB blaster every day for a week before trying it the second time. (First weekend was a fail) Ended up using bolt-out sockets to tear them loose. You can replace them with the nuts you remove from the catback since the new cats don't have studs.

I don't really drive hard enough on the snow tires to really tell you how much performance difference resulted. I'd imagine when I get around to messing with the computer, it will end up with more gains than if it was totally stock. I like the factory catback, and don't want to mess with full headers because you have to chop the exhaust or ditch the cats completely.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You hit your nuts with PB Blaster?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typo. Meant PNut Butter
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you go with the thunderbolt or magnaflow cats?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow. I saw a post somewhere that said the thunderbolt ones are bogus. I never heard of them so I went for what I've heard of. The price really wasn't that different. I think it was like 15 bucks more maybe.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this about a month ago. I emailed the company and let them know the bolts were incorrect along with the gaskets.
Looks like they have not fixed the issue yet.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17156600-post4.html
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gaskets worked fine. Or.. Adequately anyway.

This was the hard part.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

I purchased the same sockets from auto store, but deeper ones. Even hammering these bastards over the nuts and using a 3ft breaker bar wouldn't budge them.

Almost gave up until a friend suggested a lift and the sockets with metal pins. He uses them on Diesel engines for semi's, so it's worth a try.

Glad that you got yours out though.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the fact that I don't have a lot of miles and sprayed them with penetrating oil for several consecutive days helped as much as anything.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Did you guys try using a torch to heat them up??
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

No. I have a burnzo but didn't try it. The stock cats are so fat it's not easy to reach around them. Plus there are wires from the O2 sensor right there. Went with what I know in this case. Without looking it up, it seemed logical that PB Blaster might be flammable too, so I didn't resort to that.

Quick Reply: TruBendz Cats