Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stiff shifts after Revshift Trans Insert Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
People that install the Revshift transmission mount and report excellent results (*points at self*) likely have aftermarket motor mounts or OEM mounts that are in great condition (*again points at self*). Conversely, the installation of a new mount in a car with OEM mounts that are in very poor condition may actually worsen the problem by misaligning a portion of the drivetrain even further.
Somewhat true, but I have aftermarket motor mounts and I barely noticed a difference.

Now what?

You latter point does not really make sense as the rear of the drive train would "sit up" thus driving the front of the engine down since the motor mounts would hypothetically be bad.

I think, again in theory, that this would helped the alignment of the shifter where it should be. MAYBE cause it to be too high in the back.

What do you think?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the motor mounts go bad first, the engine goes down and the back of the transmission tilts up.

If the transmission mount goes bad first, the back of the transmission goes down.

If both go bad simultaneously, both the motor and the transmission go down together. Eventually, if the motor mounts get really bad, their rate of degradation outstrips the limits of the transmission mount assembly and the back end of the transmission goes up.

Based on the above, I have to recant what I said earlier about a new transmission mount making things worse. If anything, a new mount would try to fight the downward motion of the steadily degrading motor mounts.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

I tend to agree, but I think with bad motor mounts and this insert, it would make it better.

I think we are talking about fractions of degrees.

I think it has been shown that the motor mounts can drop as much as 3/4" and I would guess the tranny would drop only a little 1/4" - 1/2" at the most.

We are talking about maybe a 1.5 degree drop from the proper plane of where good motor mounts and the tranny mount SHOULD be setting.

Raising the back of the tranny would be minimal.

So my question is how would it be worse?

Just thinking out loud here.

On a side note, the outside temperature changes are all over the place down here in Houston and I noticed some days it drive great and other days I am getting some vibrations.

I think I need to replace the UUC/CS motor mounts with revshift so I am using similar materials.

Who knows?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The linear thermal expansion coefficient of rubber and urethane is 77 and 57.6 µm/m-K, respectively. In a game of fractions of degrees, the mounts could be expanding and contracting just enough to exceed the angular tolerance of something on a bad day.

Impossible to say for certain without tearing your car apart on one of those days.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the folks having trouble, do you have stock shifter bushings? When I changed my shifter out, I noticed the passenger side bushing was pretty much collapsed. So I changed them out the same day I did the trans insert. The trans insert had been collapsed on the passenger side as well. I would imagine the asymmetry could contribute to the left side gears be tougher to get into than the right side gears. If its a front to back problem like motor mounts I'd think the symptom would be symmetric side to side. Maybe it's just the one motor mount too. My motor mounts are in great shape due to the mileage so I'm not saying lets rule out that possibility. But shifter bushings are waaaaay easier to change and I did Notice an asymmetry in the wear on mine at 20k miles.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The linear thermal expansion coefficient of rubber and urethane is 77 and 57.6 µm/m-K, respectively. In a game of fractions of degrees, the mounts could be expanding and contracting just enough to exceed the angular tolerance of something on a bad day.

Impossible to say for certain without tearing your car apart on one of those days.
lol, you're a douche.

Quick Reply: Stiff shifts after Revshift Trans Insert Install