Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stiff shifts after Revshift Trans Insert Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff shifts after Revshift Trans Insert Install

You guys have the same outcome? Any solution other than uninstalling?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems kind of a crapshoot with this product, a lot of people get improvements but I've read of quite a few others who have stiffness. I have it but have not installed it yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Mine was nothing but a great improvement. I used to have minor trouble finding first and reverse and now it finds every single gear as easy as can be.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Please identify which gears you're having trouble with.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

1-4 are stiff getting into now. 5,6th and R are better than before.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm. I did notice that some gears were marginally notchier than before when I installed my mount, but that it got better over time (just as the vibration got better over time).

If this is the mount, you should note the same stiffness with the engine off.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the only thing I changed was the insert and that is exactly what I am getting also. Each shift is notchier than before. I will run it for a while and see if it gets better. Then onto fixing the sloppy side to side play. Any idea's?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chitown21y
Yeah the only thing I changed was the insert and that is exactly what I am getting also. Each shift is notchier than before. I will run it for a while and see if it gets better. Then onto fixing the sloppy side to side play. Any idea's?
The side-to-side play question is best answered by Cadzilla:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...shifter-2.html
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like a fun project...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My only issue has been the increased road noise, which I don't really like.

With that said, I think I may now have an exhaust pipe hitting and translating some noise.

So all this rambling may be moot.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM
FoD
On The Tree

Same experience as Fuzzy...notchier after install, gets better over time. I love the feel of the shifter now, but the slop does need to be addressed.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had to adjust my exhaust after this install due to the mount being higher along with the exhaust.

Originally Posted by 54inches
My only issue has been the increased road noise, which I don't really like.

With that said, I think I may now have an exhaust pipe hitting and translating some noise.

So all this rambling may be moot.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Mine doesn't have any increased noise or vibration. Maybe I just got lucky.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

I do have more drivetrain vibration transmitted during acceleration plus now I believe I have something rattling against the trans tunnel, again under load. Under the car again I go...

Overall I do really like the feel of the shifter with it in. I still have the stock (and slightly leaking) motor mounts so I wonder if those effect the results. Good motor mounts = good results with insert. Those with bad or worn mounts = not so great results. Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine has a very slight increase in vibration but coming from a mustang before its not to bad. In the past few days mine has started getting easier to get into gears so I am not sure if I have adjusted my driving style or what. I like that it feels a little less like the car is 100% rubber and floating around. I would do the MM's if I were you it was prob the 1st mod I did. Overall I think the bigger issue is fixing the slop in the shifter and linkage which is the next step. Thanks again Fuzzy for the link above.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

My theory is that, since all of the mounts in the CTS-V are made from the same rubber compound, degradation of all mounts occurs at the same rate. The only difference in the wear rate between different mounts is the stress your driving inflicts upon them.

We all know that the principal source of the gradually worsening shift quality of the CTS-V is the increasing misalignment of the drivetrain. Degradation of the rubber mounts, while occurring at largely the same rate, angles the mounted components at differing rates as a result of the different sizes of the mounts and their various mounting locations.

People that install the Revshift transmission mount and report excellent results (*points at self*) likely have aftermarket motor mounts or OEM mounts that are in great condition (*again points at self*). Conversely, the installation of a new mount in a car with OEM mounts that are in very poor condition may actually worsen the problem by misaligning a portion of the drivetrain even further.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM
FoD
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
My theory is that, since all of the mounts in the CTS-V are made from the same rubber compound, degradation of all mounts occurs at the same rate. The only difference in the wear rate between different mounts is the stress your driving inflicts upon them.

We all know that the principal source of the gradually worsening shift quality of the CTS-V is the increasing misalignment of the drivetrain. Degradation of the rubber mounts, while occurring at largely the same rate, angles the mounted components at differing rates as a result of the different sizes of the mounts and their various mounting locations.

People that install the Revshift transmission mount and report excellent results (*points at self*) likely have aftermarket motor mounts or OEM mounts that are in great condition (*again points at self*). Conversely, the installation of a new mount in a car with OEM mounts that are in very poor condition may actually worsen the problem by misaligning a portion of the drivetrain even further.
This happened when I installed just the Trans insert. My OEM insert was as flat as it could be. Installing just the Trans insert helped initially with shifting, however, I developed a high-pitched squeal shortly thereafter (Driveshaft bearing). I changed to Revshift Motor Mounts a couple of months later, but the damage had already been done. Installed a new Driveshaft, and everything is smooth and crisp now.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Heat is also a contributor, which is especially an issue with the motor mounts.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Heat is also a contributor, which is especially an issue with the motor mounts.
Absolutely. Harder driving and/or hotter climate = faster degradation.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Mine got notchyer also. But afterwards I could feel a horrible vibration real bad. Discovered that my harmonic balancer was bad and Ive been plagued by the pos flywheel.

Quick Reply: Stiff shifts after Revshift Trans Insert Install