Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Motor Mounts - Ridiculous interior vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mounts - Ridiculous interior vibrations

My 2007 V has the yellow UUC motor mounts installed. The vibrations generated while driving the car are absolutely horrible, to the point where it's rattling the interior plastics at certain RPM levels.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a motor mount that DOESN'T do this? I'm fine with and understand the added vibes from poly-based mounts. But I cannot hear my exhaust with the windows up because of the vibrations. Does anyone else have this problem? I figured a H/C/I car with a Corsa exhaust should make some noise, but you wouldn't know it if you were driving around in my car with the windows up.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to go back to the stockers regardless of the premature failures. I also have a CS transmount. The rear was recently replaced under warranty so the OEM rubber diff bushing is currently on duty. I have no plans to replace the diff bushing until it's shot.

Thanks everyone; I'm just really frustrated with the car at the moment and would like this fixed ASAP. I appreciate all comments, especially from those who have gone from these UCCs to something else.

If I don't go back to OEM, I am considering Revshift's blue motor mounts.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

CS motor mounts stopped my mirror and moonroof from vibrating at lower speeds. The stock mounts were busted causing vibrations.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that something else is the culprit and the motor mounts are just transferring this through the car. I have umi motor mounts (way more solid) and do not have any bad vibes. Check to see if you're balancer is wobbling.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
I'm thinking that something else is the culprit and the motor mounts are just transferring this through the car. I have umi motor mounts (way more solid) and do not have any bad vibes. Check to see if you're balancer is wobbling.
Just what I was thinking.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Thanks very much. Will check a little later today and report back.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redline93
Thanks very much. Will check a little later today and report back.
If this is not the issue please give us some more details. Is it dependent on vehicle speed or engine speed? IF its vehicle speed is it only at one speed (what speed)? If engine speed, does pushing in the clutch make the vibrations go away or no? the more information you can provide the better.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

If this is not the issue please give us some more details. Is it dependent on vehicle speed or engine speed? IF its vehicle speed is it only at one speed (what speed)? If engine speed, does pushing in the clutch make the vibrations go away or no? the more information you can provide the better.
Haven't left my office yet to check, but I can tell you that it's certainly engine RPM specific, actually probably more like load specific. Driving around town or merging onto a highway makes the vibes shake the interior plastics. However, if I'm crusing at 75mph (so just north of 2000rpm) on a flat road, it's quieter. But the minute I get on the gas, the vibes start.

It's probably the worst at low-moderate throttle input, merging onto a highway in 5th gear.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you do motor mounts and the trans mount at the same time? A lot of people have voiced complaints about the CS trans mount and its tendency to transmit vibration.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

I have the CS Motor Mounts and it still feels like a Caddy driving around.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

I have the yellow mounts in my 04 and it doesn't have a vibration, like others have suggested I would guess it is something else
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redline93
Haven't left my office yet to check, but I can tell you that it's certainly engine RPM specific, actually probably more like load specific. Driving around town or merging onto a highway makes the vibes shake the interior plastics. However, if I'm crusing at 75mph (so just north of 2000rpm) on a flat road, it's quieter. But the minute I get on the gas, the vibes start.

It's probably the worst at low-moderate throttle input, merging onto a highway in 5th gear.
next thing to check is if you still get those vibrations with the clutch disengaged too.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Just got back from taking a look. The balancer spins true. I did a few searches here and on the other forum for videos to make sure I knew what I was looking for. And the balancer has no visible signs of wobble.

Secondly, I placed the car in neutral and revved it. No vibrations were transferred - interior panels didn't rattle. Placed the car in 1st gear, clutch disengaged, and revved several times to 4000-4500. Once again, no vibrations were transferred through the interior of the car. Plastic panels didn't rattle.

Frankly I'm a little bummed because I was hoping it would've been the harmonic balancer.

Fuzzy, the UUC mounts were already on the car when I purchased it. Even during the test drive, I felt the interior noise vibrations were very un-Caddy like. The car came to me unmodified except for those mounts.

I later did the trans mount because shifting the bugger into reverse was virtually impossible. I haven't really noticed any increase in the intensity of the vibrations since doing the CS trans mount however.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My money is on your the dual mass flywheel. The weights have separated.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the dual mass flywheel, Dactari is right. The stock clutch is so horrible that I forget that some people haven't replaced it. It was the first thing I did (at 6k miles).
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Yet another UUC motor mount user chiming in with no such vibration issues.

Any way for him to confirm that it's a bad flywheel? I guess if the balancer is OK there's really not much else it could be other than the flywheel/clutch combo.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks, guys, I appreciate everyone's help with this. It is the stock clutch, but luckily, I have a brand new LS7 clutch kit that arrived late last week for install.

I will try to make arrangements to have it installed ASAP. In the meantime, I never would've guessed my flywheel is causing all this trouble.

Will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only difference between the UUC yellow motor mounts and the POS black ones is the color.

Still a POS that pulls apart and UUC doesn't give a rat's ***.

There is a reason why they stopped making them and someone stopped selling them.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

I would inspect your driveshaft and all driveline components while you are under there as well to make sure nothing under there could be suspect.

Last edited by Onefast V; 04-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the vibrations go away at idle while revving it that would lead to a drivetrain component causing the issue.

The mounts are still connected to the engine at idle so these vibrations would light up as soon as you rev in idle.

The flywheel is also attached to the motor and should exhibit the issue while revving in neutral.

You're driveshaft is probably the culprit. The carrier bearing isolators/rubber section is well known to fail. See if there is anything even left in that space. Some people have taken pics of their DS's and it just shows a shaft riding on the bottom of the bracket with no isolation material in between the bearing and the bracket.

While applying a load you are probably deflecting the CV joint a bit which would increase the vibration over just a constant speed.

Take a look and let us know what you find.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

^ this.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts - Ridiculous interior vibrations