Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New clutch install - problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch install - problems!

Hey guys,

Have a 2004 V and I just swapped in a new clutch, pressure plate and single mass flywheel. I reused the stock slave (no leaks or issues) and installed the kit supplied spacer. Everything went in fine but now I have some issues...
- engine off, I can get into all gears easily
- engine running, resistance getting into all gears
- engine running, could initially get into reverse but now it just grinds, can feel the shaft spinning. Can only use reverse if I shut it off, select reverse, then fire it back up.
- when I first discovered this, bled the system repeatedly, it got into gear a bit easier but reverse got worse
- pedal feels good
- clutch engages pretty close to the floor
- engine running, clutch pedal in, if I push the shifter into a gear (say 1st), the car will rock forward a bit

So I don't know if there is anymore air in the system but the clutch definitely isn't completely disengaging. Should I keep bleeding more, any tips? My only other thought is I need a shim or thicker spacer for the slave. Any other ideas?

I haven't driven the car yet, only just back and forth in the garage. Part of the issue is my driveway is long and still has a bunch of snow/ice on it. The V only has summer tires. I'll be able to get to the road but I won't be able to get back up. So I'm not sure if some miles will help the problem at all.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Your clutch is not fully disengaging. You're damaging your transmission with every shift (ask me how I know).

I've said this so many times that I apologize if I come off as irritable, but here it is: never EVER buy the Katech spacer. It's not long enough. Not only that, the throw-out bearing on the LS2 slave is narrower than the throw-out bearing on the LS7 slave, resulting in uneven pressure plate actuation and vibration. The solution:

1. Get a LS7 slave. PowerTorque CS2529 from O'Reilly ($92).

2. While you're down there, check your torque settings on the pressure plate. If you go beyond 52 ft-lbs, the fingers on the pressure plate will begin to retract and prevent you from fully disengaging the clutch. I know that a lot of people get by without paying heed to torque settings, but this is one area where it really, really matters.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

The only way to know that your clutch with function properly is to measure the offsets before you install - exactly what Fuzzy is getting at. Do a search on Clutch "A" and "B" measurements. Something is off and you will kill your tranny in short order if you keep driving it the way it is.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what clutch did u get?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Definitely get the LS7 slave. I just did my swap to single mass and torqued my PP to 54 ft lbs, and I also get a small "rock" engaging first gear only. No grinding, everything else is smooth, but when I get time in the next month or so, I'll probably tear it back down and re-torque to 52 ft lbs.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zexell
Definitely get the LS7 slave. I just did my swap to single mass and torqued my PP to 54 ft lbs, and I also get a small "rock" engaging first gear only. No grinding, everything else is smooth, but when I get time in the next month or so, I'll probably tear it back down and re-torque to 52 ft lbs.
Really you think 2 ft lbs is going to make any difference at all?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zexell
It will move a tenth or two from 46 ft-lbs, depending on the manufacturer. Given the issue you're having, I recommend torquing to 46-48 ft-lbs and using blue LOCTITE on the bolts.

Everyone on this forum should have one of these in the end of their remote bleeder to aid in solo bleeding:

Earl's 280040 Solo Bleed Metric Bleeder Screws - Set of 2:Amazon:Automotive Earl's 280040 Solo Bleed Metric Bleeder Screws - Set of 2:Amazon:Automotive
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

What are you guys getting for your A (and B) measurement on your clutch setup?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by never
What are you guys getting for your A (and B) measurement on your clutch setup?
I didn't record mine, but I remember that my clutch fingers and slave throwout bearing were only about a millimeter apart when the pedal was totally released.

Quick Reply: New clutch install - problems!