Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Big 3 and AD244 Alternator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Thread revival.

I have a question for those in the know....

The OE charge wire coming off the alternator on all my GM vehicles is a small(er) fusible link wire. Same thing on my 96 Mustang...its actually 2 fusible links for redundancy. The GM alternators are 145a and the Stang 130a. Why are we putting oversized wires when the factory doesn't seem to feel its needed?
I wouldn't have resurrected this thread to discuss voltage drop, but now that the deed is done...

The short answer is that running heavier-gauge wiring reduces voltage drop. In DC systems, power equals voltage times current (P=VI) and voltage equals current times resistance (V=IR). The more power your equipment dissipates, the more current it demands, and the greater the voltage drop between the source and the load becomes. This is a simplistic answer (EEs will know what I'm saying), because the lower voltage actually affects the current demand in negative ways.

Anyway, most people run into undervoltage problems after they add or replace audio or fuel system equipment since the OEM wiring was already marginal for the OEM system. Because of this, any additional current demand times the (relatively) high OEM wiring resistance usually results in low voltage (per spec) at the load.

Although people knock GM for their quality, they're masters at understanding how customers use their cars and where they can reduce design margin. The result (when GM gets it right) is a product that meets customer expectations at minimum cost or maximum profit. It just makes it harder on modders because we slam into those design limitations all the time.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-28-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I wouldn't have resurrected this thread to discuss voltage drop, but now that the deed is done...

The short answer is that running heavier-gauge wiring reduces voltage drop. In DC systems, power equals voltage times current (P=VI) and voltage equals current times resistance (V=IR). The more power your equipment dissipates, the more current it demands, and the greater the voltage drop between the source and the load becomes. This is a simplistic answer (EEs will know what I'm saying), because the lower voltage actually affects the current demand in negative ways.

Anyway, most people run into undervoltage problems after they add or replace audio or fuel system equipment since the OEM wiring was already marginal for the OEM system. Because of this, any additional current demand times the (relatively) high OEM wiring resistance usually results in low voltage (per spec) at the load.

Although people knock GM for their quality, they're masters at understanding how customers use their cars and where they can reduce design margin. The result (when GM gets it right) is a product that meets customer expectations at minimum cost or maximum profit. It just makes it harder on modders because we slam into those design limitations all the time.
Thanks for the response. I u/s that were increasing the current carrying capability of the alt by up-sizing the charge wire. But I'm still struggling to u/s why the OE's use such a small charge wire with these "big" alternators. I just looked at the GM charge wire on my Tahoe with a 145a alternator. That wire cant be bigger than at 12 gauge. Unless a fusible link has a different current rating, a 12g wire typically is good for 20a. That's what I don't u/s. It seems the OE's are purposely using a small charge wire to slow the rate of charge or something.

PS - great thread. Just upgraded my alternator to the ad244 from the ad230 (similar to the cs130d) for my LS/Mustang swap. I was running out of amps at WOT with the ad230 and now the ad244 is in place and solved the issue. But....I'm using the Mustang's charge wire which again, is 2 fusible links -probably 12g. I added another charge wire after doing all this reading. I guess I can install a real heavy charge wire and see if the WOT voltage changes via the data logger.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First 12 gauge is rated for 41 amps in a chassis wiring application. So that gets us much further along than your 20A estimate. Now think about wire length and duty cycle. How long is the 12 gauge run? Not long if 12 gauge so the voltage drop is minimal. Now consider how long is that 145A alt actually putting out 145A? Not long in most applications. Now if you are running a lot of electrical extras then yes the current draw is higher for longer periods of time. For most us the the big three is a waste. For bass heads or guys using light bars for hunting or running winches it starts to make sense very fast.

I have been into car audio for a while. One time after driving down the interstate for about an hour listening to the stereo very loudly I pulled over and smelled something burning. The charge wire from the alt to the battery was on fire. Not fun. Since then if I put in a new stereo I replace the charge wire.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
First 12 gauge is rated for 41 amps in a chassis wiring application. So that gets us much further along than your 20A estimate. Now think about wire length and duty cycle. How long is the 12 gauge run? Not long if 12 gauge so the voltage drop is minimal. Now consider how long is that 145A alt actually putting out 145A? Not long in most applications. Now if you are running a lot of electrical extras then yes the current draw is higher for longer periods of time. For most us the the big three is a waste. For bass heads or guys using light bars for hunting or running winches it starts to make sense very fast.

I have been into car audio for a while. One time after driving down the interstate for about an hour listening to the stereo very loudly I pulled over and smelled something burning. The charge wire from the alt to the battery was on fire. Not fun. Since then if I put in a new stereo I replace the charge wire.
This is pretty much it. It's properly sized for the stock requirements. They gauge it for the nominal current draw not the maximum capability. The current capability is recommendation, not rule. To really determine, you need to calculate the ohms per foot, allowable voltage drop, and actual current draw. All of that's taken into the oem specification. A back of the napkin calculation is fine if you want maximum performance but when you are talking millions of dollars across hundreds of thousands of cars, you do the real copper/$ math.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sssnake

Good info - thanks! Actually, that ~12g charge wire is probably only about 8" and its in the open air which probably gets you a little more rating still. In my case like the OP, I have a forced induction car. Only major items are a single OE cooling fan, meth inj system, duel fuel pumps (23a rating). I do think the low impedance injectors and ignition coils draw significant amperage at wot also. But, max wot time would be maybe a quarter mile so you talking 10-11 secs max really.

What brought me to this thread was my AD230 105 amp alt not keeping up at
WOT. Found it hard to believe I was pulling more than that at WOT considering no stereos, technology package etc. This old crusty 145a alternator seems to have cured the issue. Perhaps the fusible links also have a higher current rating for their size?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Was it just at higher rpms or all wot?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by isis
Was it just at higher rpms or all wot?
Typically over 6000 engine rpm it would go from 14v right to battery voltage and come back to 14 V when I let off the throttle. I thought at first I was overspeeding the alternator, I put a bigger pulley on And it didn't help anything.
The AD244 so far with the fusible links has kept voltage to 14v to 6600+ rpms, so I'm happy about that.

The DR44 alt is the newer AD244 but has a 2 pin connector. Some of them are rated at 160 amps, and you can get a late model used low-mile take off for 50-75.00 shipped to your home. Just need to install a 4 pin connector and your in business. I probably take this route when this 120k mile unit konks out.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Typically over 6000 engine rpm it would go from 14v right to battery voltage and come back to 14 V when I let off the throttle. I thought at first I was overspeeding the alternator, I put a bigger pulley on And it didn't help anything.
Yeah that's all I was thinking.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Just to close the loop on this thread, I would not recommend an AD244 in the CTS-V. It doesn't fit without bracket mods. I eventually replaced it with a 240A Mechman S-series alternator, paired with their AVBM II adjustable voltage regulator. Expensive ($580), but you can see where the money went. I don't have a signal analyzer at home to show you the advantages on my car, but the benefit of 12-pulse vs. 6-pulse rectification is well-documented.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-29-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been looking for a HO alternator for our cars, thanks for the heads up on Mechman. $400 is pricy but not out of this world. What made you spring for the adjustable voltage regulator?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I've been looking for a HO alternator for our cars, thanks for the heads up on Mechman. $400 is pricy but not out of this world. What made you spring for the adjustable voltage regulator?
I relocated the battery to a high-density foam insert in the spare tire tub and wanted to be able to adjust the alternator output voltage to account for the additional voltage drop.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I relocated the battery to a high-density foam insert in the spare tire tub and wanted to be able to adjust the alternator output voltage to account for the additional voltage drop.
What kind of voltage drop were you getting?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates and/or new products.

Just starting have charging issues, but I have had grounding issues a little longer.

About to upgrade the alternator and the wiring.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

In for alternator to battery wire gauge size
Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
Any updates and/or new products.

Just starting have charging issues, but I have had grounding issues a little longer.

About to upgrade the alternator and the wiring.
I used 000 gauge (metric) fine wire power wire to run a second power wire off the alternator. No upgrade required and solved my problems.

I also added 2 sets of grounds 000 gauge. Try it out and I bet your voltage issues go away, or reduce significantly.

-Byron
Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

I just bought the Casper, power wire reroute setup and I am buying some 1/0 high stranded welding wire and lugs and will be upgrading the grounds.

It needs it regardless, so I am starting there....

Thanks bud!
Old 03-15-2024, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 54inches
I just bought the Casper, power wire reroute setup and I am buying some 1/0 high stranded welding wire and lugs and will be upgrading the grounds.

It needs it regardless, so I am starting there....

Thanks bud!

Worked great and everything was right with the world! Check out Casper......

Quick Reply: Big 3 and AD244 Alternator Upgrade