Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggie overdriven rears DONE!!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qqqqball
If yiu want to check out one of those chillers I got one and am in ct. Let me know. It does jack when the bypass is open. But when your in boost it chills to 10 below ambient most days. This is with omega and 10% od. Coolant temp when doing 1hour xommute is any where from30 to 45 f depending on cabin load for ac. Does put ice on the lines some times
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Hey Dmm, can u give me a few more pics of that iat sensor u made? Also what HX pump is that? Any flow numbers on it? That's te same HX core I'm gonna run. I had a huge air bubble in my HX from when I street tuned it so my iat's should e down a bit from then but I can always use cooler air. I might extend my air similar to what u did and L it under the intercooler. U got me thinkin now. Only question is using that steel hose I would think it would hold heat being that its metal
Dang man, apologies for never seeing this...although I was out of town then. If you still need anything let me know or PM me. I bounce around a lot (I'm in Nairobi, Kenya right now) so if I don't respond just send a PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered all the parts to attempt this. Here is the information that I have. I have the older style press on pullies on the rear. Which must be a PIA to change, but I did find a tool from pulley boys for the swap. The mp112 pulley tool. I called Magnacharger and the thread size is the same so I hope it fits. I will let everyone know.

The stock sizes are 7.25, 2.8, 2.9, 3.49 (overall 2.228, 13,370 RPM @ 6k engine)
My current setup is 7.25, 2.7, 2.9, 3.49 (2.397, 14,379, 6.5psi)
Ordered, 7.25, 2.9, 3.2, 3.2 (2.759, 16,551, estimate 8.5 psi)
I believe punishmentcycle is at 20,300 RPM for reference

For the rears the pullies available are 2.9, 3.2, 3.49 from Magnacharger. The pulley boys press on pullies may work but I don't know.

The blower drive needs a 3.2 or larger and that will require a slight amount of grinding to fit. The rear jackstaft can fit any of the 3. Using 2 3.2 pullies is basically the exact same belt length as stock.

Thanks punishmentcycle for all the help. I will let everyone know the results.
Also, buying 3 pullies and a $150 tool doesn't end up being much cheaper than the innovators west crank pulley. And probably not easier to install, but it should get me any drive ratio I need. This will be 24% over stock and 15% over my current setup.

I hope it isn't spinning it to fast but it seems that 16k is the eaton limit and it is common to spin to 18k.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a solid plan.. Plus if you ever decide to go for broke you can just add a balancer. Once you get where I am (blower rpm wise) you start losing hp but gain torq. My mission is to get temps down and gain power that way. Glad to see you guys puttin in work.. Just becareful with those stock motors with the temps you'll be making.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the Max rpm for a Maggie anyways? I mean like the theoretical limit, intake temps not withstanding? From a lubrication/lobe friction standpoint I guess. Or is there a different limiting factor. I guess a more accurate question would have been, how much are you pushing the Maggie's durability at that rpm? Granted you aren't WOT all the time... Though it must be damned tempting. Lol
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Maggie overdriven rears DONE!!-image.jpg
Here's a chart that someone put together that shows some of the limits of the blower with various rpm's and pulley combos. Getting the pulley's off of the jack and rear cover are relatively easy. I broke the jackshaft putting the pulley back on, completely a lack of judgement when pressing it back on. I found a power steering pulley installer that fits in the back of the shaft to push the pulley back on. It's basically how punishment put his on. You can probably pick one up at a discount tool store. The new shaft we ordered already will have the 3.2 pulley, so I won't be able to try the tool. We will be 1:1 at the rear when all said and done. Should have an update Saturday. Going to be switching to the HP Tuners 2 bar OS and tuning all day. Won't have dyno numbers for awhile though.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2007V
The blower drive needs a 3.2 or larger and that will require a slight amount of grinding to fit. The rear jackstaft can fit any of the 3. Using 2 3.2 pullies is basically the exact same belt length as stock.
The 3.2 fit on the blower, at least on mine, without any modification.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brack86svo
The 3.2 fit on the blower, at least on mine, without any modification.
Excellent, I hope the tool that I ordered will make it that much easier. So what pulley setup are you running and what are boost numbers? I'm just trying to get a gut check what the boost will be. If it is too high I may put a new set of heads on.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Excellent, I hope the tool that I ordered will make it that much easier. So what pulley setup are you running and what are boost numbers? I'm just trying to get a gut check what the boost will be. If it is too high I may put a new set of heads on.
I'm waiting on the replacement jackshaft to show up Friday, so I haven't driven the car since we broke the shaft.

I see the tool on their website, and sure wish I would have ordered that now that I'm in the hole for the shaft.

The pulleys that you got for the rears, did you order them from magnuson, or from pulley boys? The only pulleys I see that pulley boys sell, are the keyed style. The rear pulleys on the maggie are press fit, not keyed.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Launching!

I orders the rears from Magnacharger. The pulley boys ones that I was refering to are these http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/prod...6&cat=9&page=1

I assume that Magnacharger doesn't change te drive system to the mp112 and if that is true then tear could fit. Also, the gear ratio will change if you have a 1:1 rear that is 2x 3.1 pullies or 2x 3.2 pullies etc.

Heck, the tool that I ordered might not even fit...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

I orders the rears from Magnacharger. The pulley boys ones that I was refering to are these http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/prod...6&cat=9&page=1

I assume that Magnacharger doesn't change te drive system to the mp112 and if that is true then tear could fit. Also, the gear ratio will change if you have a 1:1 rear that is 2x 3.1 pullies or 2x 3.2 pullies etc.

Heck, the tool that I ordered might not even fit...
I measured the 2.9 pulley I have for the rear, and it measures .78, so in theory, they will fit.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Launching!

I measured the 2.9 pulley I have for the rear, and it measures .78, so in theory, they will fit.
Excellent, thanks! I wonder if pulley boys makes these for Magnacharger?
Also, I could have saved some money by possibly only buying one rear on the right size (if the belt would fit). This is good info.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Excellent, thanks! I wonder if pulley boys makes these for Magnacharger?
Also, I could have saved some money by possibly only buying one rear on the right size (if the belt would fit). This is good info.
With only swapping one pulley, I was left with a 3.49 and a 2.9. With the 3.49 on the jack and 3.2 that I put on the rear cover, the belt would not fit. I would say that the only way for the belt to fit would be stock, overdriven (3.49 to 2.9) or 1:1 (3.2 to 3.2)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

With only swapping one pulley, I was left with a 3.49 and a 2.9. With the 3.49 on the jack and 3.2 that I put on the rear cover, the belt would not fit. I would say that the only way for the belt to fit would be stock, overdriven (3.49 to 2.9) or 1:1 (3.2 to 3.2)
i got the stock belt to fit on the 3.49/3.2 combo. i just slid the jackshaft pulley into the belt and on the 3.2. made sure the adjuster was loosened up as far as it would go and used a little muscle to get the brackets to swing around.. once the belt is on and the brackets are bolted up i only had about a 1/4 in to tighten it up. it will fit but its tight.

just for reference going by the chart im at about 19,300 rpm at 6500. set up; 3.0 front,3.49 jack and 3.2 cover with the over driven balancer. i ordered the 8 rib pulleys to finish the conversion plus a 2.8 for the front. if the new HX can drop temps about 20* im gonna throw the 2.8 on there and go for broke
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

i got the stock belt to fit on the 3.49/3.2 combo. i just slid the jackshaft pulley into the belt and on the 3.2. made sure the adjuster was loosened up as far as it would go and used a little muscle to get the brackets to swing around.. once the belt is on and the brackets are bolted up i only had about a 1/4 in to tighten it up. it will fit but its tight.

just for reference going by the chart im at about 19,300 rpm at 6500. set up; 3.0 front,3.49 jack and 3.2 cover with the over driven balancer. i ordered the 8 rib pulleys to finish the conversion plus a 2.8 for the front. if the new HX can drop temps about 20* im gonna throw the 2.8 on there and go for broke
I figured you had to fight with it to get it back on. I had to fight with the belt to get it off the stock setup but, I didn't loosen the front bracket and try to swing it out.

Man, are you really spinning the crap out of that thing! The most I'll see with a 2.7 pully is 17k, and I'm not going to push it past that. I'm still running a stock motor, so I'll probably stick with a 2.8 with the 1:1's and stock crank dampner. I'm just looking to push the 500 rwtq, then I'll be happy.

I'm still anxious to see what the new HX does for you. As much as I don't want to pull my bumper off anymore, it needs painted, and that will be the perfect time to upgrade. I was considering throwing the new HX in front of the old one, just to add some more cooling. Winter projects....
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured you had to fight with it to get it back on. I had to fight with the belt to get it off the stock setup but, I didn't loosen the front bracket and try to swing it out.

Man, are you really spinning the crap out of that thing! The most I'll see with a 2.7 pully is 17k, and I'm not going to push it past that. I'm still running a stock motor, so I'll probably stick with a 2.8 with the 1:1's and stock crank dampner. I'm just looking to push the 500 rwtq, then I'll be happy.

I'm still anxious to see what the new HX does for you. As much as I don't want to pull my bumper off anymore, it needs painted, and that will be the perfect time to upgrade. I was considering throwing the new HX in front of the old one, just to add some more cooling. Winter projects....
i was thinking the same thing about just adding the new exchanger to the system.. not sure if that little pump can move that much fluid though.

with a stock compression motor you should be close to 500 torq but it took me spinning this thing to the moon to get over 500. best on the stock motor and pushing about 9-10lbs was 485/480. im currently just street tuned so theres a little left in it but not much and im at 491/518
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thought I would leave this here... Someone emailed me a short video of an overdriven maggie that is screaming like a banshee... sounds awesome punishmentcycle, can't wait for a longer video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGob-...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

i was thinking the same thing about just adding the new exchanger to the system.. not sure if that little pump can move that much fluid though.

with a stock compression motor you should be close to 500 torq but it took me spinning this thing to the moon to get over 500. best on the stock motor and pushing about 9-10lbs was 485/480. im currently just street tuned so theres a little left in it but not much and im at 491/518
I would be happy at 485/480. I'll be doing a safe street tune as well. I'm sure lowering the IAT's will add some good power back in, at least to allow more timing. I'm going to start my tune with the 3.1 front pulley. With the 2 bar map with boost enrichment, I should be able to swap pulleys and have the AFR keep in line. I'll swap to the 2.8 pulley after the tune, check the AFR's and for any knock. I'm going to start at a max of 18* timing and see what happens.

I don't know how those GTO guys are pushing well over 500 at the wheels with 1:1 rears, still runing a 112, unless I'm missing something.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would be happy at 485/480. I'll be doing a safe street tune as well. I'm sure lowering the IAT's will add some good power back in, at least to allow more timing. I'm going to start my tune with the 3.1 front pulley. With the 2 bar map with boost enrichment, I should be able to swap pulleys and have the AFR keep in line. I'll swap to the 2.8 pulley after the tune, check the AFR's and for any knock. I'm going to start at a max of 18* timing and see what happens.

I don't know how those GTO guys are pushing well over 500 at the wheels with 1:1 rears, still runing a 112, unless I'm missing something.
ive wondered that as well..gto's seems to make it into the 500's fairly easily. i think it has to do with what was brought up before about the different cars getting the blower in a different spot on top of the manifold. only thing i can see making a difference.

this winters project is to make a spacer about 1/2 thick to go inbetween the blower and upper mani half. im also thinking of sending it to NX and having spray bars installed in the plate. added manifold CC's should help alittle and add a few
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

ive wondered that as well..gto's seems to make it into the 500's fairly easily. i think it has to do with what was brought up before about the different cars getting the blower in a different spot on top of the manifold. only thing i can see making a difference.

this winters project is to make a spacer about 1/2 thick to go inbetween the blower and upper mani half. im also thinking of sending it to NX and having spray bars installed in the plate. added manifold CC's should help alittle and add a few
To do a spacer, isn't that going to throw off the alignment of the jackshaft? The back of the shaft bolts to the HU but, the front bolts to the manifold. How are you going to make everything line back up? I like the idea. More volume should make more power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maggie overdriven rears DONE!!