Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Guys from the d2 coilover group buy...pics/impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onefast V

I think the D2s will serve you fine for the street. I cannot comment on the KWs but I like my D2s for the price. I switched my springs out though from 550/550 to 600/650. The 550/550 was too soft for me but I am taking my car to several HPDEs a year.
What springs did you go with? Did D2 put on heavier springs or did you have to get some separately?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
Any other impressions; really want to go KW but 1875 is the cheapest I can find......just want the best bang for my buck, street car/DD
Well, I cannot remember what we paid in the group buy 850$? But with the re-spring 240$ and thrust sheets 60$ = 1150$ the KW look a little better.....but you will re-spring them as well (from what I gathered from fuzzy). So.....I (still have yet to put on my D2's, but I'm close!) bought the D2's to in a sense hold me over (since my stockers are shot) until I can afford some LG's or better. But I will be running them as true coil overs. I'm sure they're an improvement over stock, and not terrible on the wallet.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
What springs did you go with? Did D2 put on heavier springs or did you have to get some separately?
I know that I'm going with 700/400 eibach springs ran like a true coil over in the rear. They are better than any spring you can get from D2 (not as good as swift but..) I went with this for two reasons, someone had that from LG's recommended springs, and there is a guy on CF who is currently running the D2's with these springs, can't remember his name.....but its the guy who just built his car with the single rear mount turbo.....
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

I know that I'm going with 700/400 eibach springs ran like a true coil over in the rear. They are better than any spring you can get from D2 (not as good as swift but..) I went with this for two reasons, someone had that from LG's recommended springs, and there is a guy on CF who is currently running the D2's with these springs, can't remember his name.....but its the guy who just built his car with the single rear mount turbo.....
Cool, I'll be using the car at tracks more frequently when I redo the suspension. It's my daily also. I'll start at a small track to see if they are worth a damn.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

i went with 600/650 as stated. I had to buy them seperately so i have a set of D2s 550# springs sitting around. I chose 600/650 because it was a little bit of a compromise from 700/750 which would be the ideal track day spring rates and the roughly 400# OEM springs. If i do ever change up springs again i will definitely be buying swift springs next and stepping up to 650/700 or as close to that as they offer
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i went with 600/650 as stated. I had to buy them seperately so i have a set of D2s 550# springs sitting around. I chose 600/650 because it was a little bit of a compromise from 700/750 which would be the ideal track day spring rates and the roughly 400# OEM springs. If i do ever change up springs again i will definitely be buying swift springs next and stepping up to 650/700 or as close to that as they offer
I take it you didn't do the "true coilover" rear install then right? Have you had that set up at a track yet?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Cool, I'll be using the car at tracks more frequently when I redo the suspension. It's my daily also. I'll start at a small track to see if they are worth a damn.
Since you're in So Cal I'm sure you will be running at buttonwillow. I can tell you that my current setup feels very good at buttonwillow but a little under sprung.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody look into the Megan Racing coilover kit?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

I take it you didn't do the "true coilover" rear install then right? Have you had that set up at a track yet?
I've had this setup at thunderhill, laguna seca and buttonwillow. It has been very good in my opinion. It could definitely use a little bit higher spring rate in some cases but I'm not ready to stiffen it that much more yet.

Originally Posted by MN_V
Its exactly the same as the K-sport/D2 coilover.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you're in So Cal I'm sure you will be running at buttonwillow. I can tell you that my current setup feels very good at buttonwillow but a little under sprung.
Sweet. So you would do a bit stiffer of a spring then? Yea if I can get the days off work I'll definitely be going to Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, and Fontana. I would classify most of those as pretty fast tracks.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Sweet. So you would do a bit stiffer of a spring then? Yea if I can get the days off work I'll definitely be going to Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, and Fontana. I would classify most of those as pretty fast tracks.
It depends on how stiff of a ride you are willing to live with. I think i would personally end up with 650/700 swift springs if i was to do it all over.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

They don't look to be able to run as a true coil over to me, could be wrong. But they do look ok!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to the specs on the MeganRacing website and my conversions they have 600lb springs front and rear. And you're correct they do not run as a coil over in the rear they use the stock spring location. There's a seller on ebay that will do them for $865 shipped.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasn't there someone that set the Megan's or d2s up as a true coiliver? Is that something you guys are looking for? I really don't care either way. I just want something that works well to keep the car balanced and predictable through the corners. Personally I don't look for a lot of drop because of the roads here.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bodies on the shock are threaded so you can put the spring and perches right on the shock body instead of installing them in the stock location.

either way, d2/megan/ksport are all the same level of quality. it'd take you buying them, picking up a better set of springs, revalving the shock to match nicely with said springs, and then reassembling. however, that'd cost just as much, if not more, than buying a set of KW (or belltech for the discount) and being done with it.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bio248
the bodies on the shock are threaded so you can put the spring and perches right on the shock body instead of installing them in the stock location.

either way, d2/megan/ksport are all the same level of quality. it'd take you buying them, picking up a better set of springs, revalving the shock to match nicely with said springs, and then reassembling. however, that'd cost just as much, if not more, than buying a set of KW (or belltech for the discount) and being done with it.
Yea makes sense, don't want to throw good money to bad.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

How close to stock height can you get with these cheaper setups? I'd like to raise it up in the winter.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bio248
Don't think any of them can be re-valved. Also, most who buy the KWV3 re-spring as well so.....yeah.

Here is my logic, I have about 1K into my D2 setup, saved 1k from the KWV3. To hold me over for now while providing better handling So my saved 1K will go toward (in the future when I can afford to) a set of LG or penske coilovers @ 2500-3500k. And have a far Superior suspension than KWV3. That is my plan anyway.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

How close to stock height can you get with these cheaper setups? I'd like to raise it up in the winter.
You could go higher than stock if you like. They are all fully ride height adjustable from all the way down to up.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Don't think any of them can be re-valved. Also, most who buy the KWV3 re-spring as well so.....yeah.
you're right. the shocks are not meant to be rebuildable and most shops that do shock valving will just straight up say no. you have to find the right person to do it.

but once a shock is valved, you can typically get away with about a 20% increase in spring rate before the shock valving becomes overloaded and can no longer control the spring. i'd say 30% absolute max increase in spring rate for a given valving.

however, it sure would be nice to be able to pick a spring rate and have the shocks valved specifically for that rate. the way that manufacturers create parts with little variability between the different models would make this a hard pill to swallow. i bet that shock body gets used on a whole slew of vehicles, but the upper and lower mounts are different. it's a shame that nothing is built to order anymore unless you want to pay a large premium.

Quick Reply: Guys from the d2 coilover group buy...pics/impressions?