Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Guys from the d2 coilover group buy...pics/impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Don't think any of them can be re-valved. Also, most who buy the KWV3 re-spring as well so.....yeah.

Here is my logic, I have about 1K into my D2 setup, saved 1k from the KWV3. To hold me over for now while providing better handling So my saved 1K will go toward (in the future when I can afford to) a set of LG or penske coilovers @ 2500-3500k. And have a far Superior suspension than KWV3. That is my plan anyway.
at $3500 you might as well splurge for the penske setup that others have.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank guys! Looking at the D2s now.......are they the best out of the Megan and Ksport?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 54inches
Thank guys! Looking at the D2s now.......are they the best out of the Megan and Ksport?
They are all basically identical.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Soooooooo, what is this about converting the rears to FULL coilover? Any photos?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ksport should already come in the box as a "full" coilover so i'd tend to sway towards them as a purchase between the three.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bio248
the ksport should already come in the box as a "full" coilover so i'd tend to sway towards them as a purchase between the three.
The ksports do not come as four corner coilovers. ksports and d2 and megan racing all come as coilover front with a separate spring/strut rear. There is no benefit to move the spring to the strut in the rear on a car not originally designed that way other that to say you are running true 4 corner coilovers. height adjustments are just as easy both ways.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
The ksports do not come as four corner coilovers. ksports and d2 and megan racing all come as coilover front with a separate spring/strut rear. There is no benefit to move the spring to the strut in the rear on a car not originally designed that way other that to say you are running true 4 corner coilovers. height adjustments are just as easy both ways.
1st half correct.

Second half, not so much. I can tell you the benefit that I'm getting from them is 1, I will not have to worry about hitting the RLCA with a wider rim, 2, I will be losing about 20 LBS running it this way (Cannot elaborate as to how yet, but trust me) <- that is on top of what the coil overs save you them selves 3, The adjustability that I will have in the rear of my car for alignments will be amazing, 4, Wait till you see what it all looks like 5, with running them (in what I consider the correct spot) along with a strut bar (or cage) suspension tunning is easier and can be better adjusted.

That is all!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 54inches
Soooooooo, what is this about converting the rears to FULL coilover? Any photos?
Search for threads with D2 in the title. In one of them a guy has pictures of it setup this way. Also, get ahold of killer noodle (he is not here much) but on CF he is the guy with the big single turbo build. He has D2's setup as a true coil over running 700/400 springs.

Also, I used the creative steel rear lower shock mount to replace the stocker. They're currently the only ones making that piece, and since I'd be running it as a true coil over that would need to be addressed. At least IMO
Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

1st half correct.

Second half, not so much. I can tell you the benefit that I'm getting from them is 1, I will not have to worry about hitting the RLCA with a wider rim, 2, I will be losing about 20 LBS running it this way (Cannot elaborate as to how yet, but trust me) <- that is on top of what the coil overs save you them selves 3, The adjustability that I will have in the rear of my car for alignments will be amazing, 4, Wait till you see what it all looks like 5, with running them (in what I consider the correct spot) along with a strut bar (or cage) suspension tunning is easier and can be better adjusted.

That is all!
Adjustbaility for alignment will not change unless you have camber plate you will be adding which would require cutting the body. The spring will actually increase the overall diameter of the strut which is already close to the wheel and could cause interference issues so I am not seeing how moving that spring will truly help with wheel clearance. Again i stand behind that fact that unless you are doing further modification to the rear suspension, which i assume you are there, there is not benefit to rear coil overs.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Adjustbaility for alignment will not change unless you have camber plate you will be adding which would require cutting the body. The spring will actually increase the overall diameter of the strut which is already close to the wheel and could cause interference issues so I am not seeing how moving that spring will truly help with wheel clearance. Again i stand behind that fact that unless you are doing further modification to the rear suspension, which i assume you are there, there is not benefit to rear coil overs.
About the alignment, not true at all. You will see.

Diameter of coil over, yes. But I made no mention to that causing a clearance issue, as I agree it will. My goal is a 295 nothing more.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM
FoD
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naf said you could run a 295 with a true coilover in the rear, but he wanted 305's and had to move the spring to the conventional location to achieve that.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FoD
Naf said you could run a 295 with a true coilover in the rear, but he wanted 305's and had to move the spring to the conventional location to achieve that.
Thats good news!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

About the alignment, not true at all. You will see.

Diameter of coil over, yes. But I made no mention to that causing a clearance issue, as I agree it will. My goal is a 295 nothing more.
So when will this be done? obviously there are some bigger changes to the rear suspension you are talking about .... more tubular rear suspension bits...?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

For reference:

Old 05-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a point to keep in mind, the kws are variable so no re-valving for springs and they are rebuildable. The springs and thrust sheets I believe cost me an extra $120. Really, for what I get out of it, I think it was money well spent. Although I havent tracked the car yet, as far as spirited driving, ive got so much more control than before. Fwiw.

Quick Reply: Guys from the d2 coilover group buy...pics/impressions?