Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Creative Steel Trailing arm group buy! Wider wheels here we come!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking 10 or 10.5, will have to do some research. But I'm guessing I will run a 315/30/18 or if I can find a 305-315/25/18 I might do that, I still have math to do as far as tires go, I'm running 255/35/18's up front so that factors into everything as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
I'm thinking 10 or 10.5, will have to do some research. But I'm guessing I will run a 315/30/18 or if I can find a 305-315/25/18 I might do that, I still have math to do as far as tires go, I'm running 255/35/18's up front so that factors into everything as well.
I was thinking get them widened to 10.5 and just hope all works out well. if not im **** outta luck but id hate to get 10" and still have plenty of room.
I was looking at going 305-315/35/18...haven't done the math either but ideally that's where Id want the tire to be.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I'm barely above stock power levels so if I can rock a 305- 315 that would make a world of difference for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just want to thank you guys before hand! I shall be watching and waiting to see results for the rim widening and tires sizes!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Don't count your ducks yet NIK, I'm still short two factory wheels to widen this may take some time haha. On that note, anyone know of any good places to have wheels widened? Preferably in FL.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
Don't count your ducks yet NIK, I'm still short two factory wheels to widen this may take some time haha. On that note, anyone know of any good places to have wheels widened? Preferably in FL.
Check out this thread..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ated-pics.html
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Just want to thank you guys before hand! I shall be watching and waiting to see results for the rim widening and tires sizes!
I have the two extra wheels, was gonna send them to weldcraft, but beings as I just cracked piston #3, that wont be happening for a few months ha.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any under body pics of this? I bet it looks sexxxxxxy!!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

are people getting 10.5" rims on without issue when using the CS trailing arm?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vmapper
are people getting 10.5" rims on without issue when using the CS trailing arm?

The width of the TIRE is the real question since multiple tire widths can be installed on any given wheel width. AND, to make things worse there is no standard for tire sizing between different tire manufactures. Meaning a 245-45-18 tire from one manufacturer can have a different width/height than one from another manufacturer.

If this helps. I am running a 9.5" V2 wheel in the rear with a Continental Extreme Contact 275-30-19. I could have gone to a 285 in this brand of tire without issues and plenty of clearance room to the shock and vehicle frame.

To answer your question as directly as possible. I would say NO. I would bet against a 10.5" rim with a correctly fitting tire working on a V1.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone can run a 10" Forgestar F14 in the back without aftermarket trailing arms. It's all about the offset.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ah correct, wheel width will say it all.
305/45/18 MT Street II tires.

I should have been more careful with the post.
Stock rims, widen to what ? 10 or 10.5? using tire Manufacturer's Part Number:3786R

my gut says get the wheels widened to 10.0
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Everyone can run a 10" Forgestar F14 in the back without aftermarket trailing arms. It's all about the offset.
Originally Posted by vmapper
Ah correct, wheel width will say it all.
305/45/18 MT Street II tires.

I should have been more careful with the post.
Stock rims, widen to what ? 10 or 10.5? using tire Manufacturer's Part Number:3786R

my gut says get the wheels widened to 10.0

Obviously you guys can do what ever you want. What scares me is that there are a lot of other people reading this that are going to believe that the width of the wheel and offset are the only things to worry about. That's Crazy Talk.

The MT 305/45/18 #3786R, has a section width of 11.8" and is 28.8" tall. Those might just be numbers on a screen to most people but those numbers represent a tire that will be T-Y-T TIGHT on a V1. Mickey Thompson recommends a wheel width from 9.5"- 11" for those tires. So ANY wheel width between those two numbers will work for those tire. The car isn't going to care what width of wheel you put on it, since the wheel itself won't be what's going to rub.

I guess that the big question is how much clearance between tire/fender, tire/frame and tire/trailing arm(oem) are you willing to accept.

I should not even leave the previous paragraph in this post, it implies that there is a chance that a MT 305/45/18 will fit in a V1.
I will now leave you guys alone on your quest. Please update your previous post with your results so not to confuse the future readers of this thread if those tires will fit.

Last edited by Creative Steel; 04-29-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
What scares me is that there are a lot of other people reading this that are going to believe that the width of the wheel and offset are the only things to worry about. That's Crazy Talk.
What are you talking about?

I specified the 10" rear Forgestar F14 offset to function perfectly with the stock trailing arms. It 5mm has more clearance than the 10" Linea Corse LC855, which tended to rub on the stock trailing arms during cornering.

Oh, and lest I forget: I'm working on a 19x10" front / 20x12" rear CTS-V1 widebody project in conjunction with Forgestar, for people that want to run huge 295/30-19" and 345/30-20" tires. This modification is good news for Creative Steel, or anyone else that's considering building aftermarket trailing arms, because it'll require 31mm more clearance on the inside.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-27-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
What are you talking about?

I specified the 10" rear Forgestar F14 offset to function perfectly with the stock trailing arms. It 5mm has more clearance than the 10" Linea Corse LC855, which tended to rub on the stock trailing arms during cornering.

Oh, and lest I forget: I'm working on a 19x10" front / 20x12" rear CTS-V1 widebody project in conjunction with Forgestar, for people that want to run huge 295/30-19" and 345/30-20" tires. This modification is good news for Creative Steel, or anyone else that's considering building aftermarket trailing arms, because it'll require 31mm more clearance on the inside.
It sounds like we are coming to the conversation from two different standpoints. I do not disagree that the 10" Forgestar F14 will fit with oem trailing arms. I have no experience with them so I can't contest the fact. I do think that if the 10" Linea Corse LC855 wheels tend to rub and that a 5mm (1/4") difference between them and the Forgestar is a pretty narrow window between pass and fail.

The only point that I was trying to make was that it is the tire size, not the wheel width that is going to be the primary deal breaker to what fits and what doesn't. Of course the offset of the wheel is very important to get the tire centered between the fender lip and the nearest internal obstacle (trailing arm, shock, frame,,,).

I'm not sure who first mentioned a 305 size tire and a "unmodified" 04-07 CTS-V in the same sentence but let me tell ya, it was and is pure fantasy that they will fit. When we started the 5 lug swap project we bought a Bridgestone RE-11 305/30/19 to see what they would look like on the car. Now, when we asked for that tire we were strictly going by all the talk on the forums about how great that tire would be on a V1. When we got to the tire shop to pick it up.....there were equal parts of disbelief and laughter coming from both of us. Don't get me wrong, that "Steam Roller" sumbich was about as sexy as anything I've ever seen, but all we could think was there is no stinkin' way that thing was gonna fit. We bought it anyway with the understanding that we could return it.

We took it back the shop. We jacked up the car, removed a rear wheel, lowered the car back down to ride height then pushed the 305 in to the wheel well for a look. More laughter.....We have our trailing arms on our car so there was no interference there, the tire hit the front cradle mount and the frame with more than an inch still sticking out past the outside of the wheel well lip. From the back of the car, it was gorgeous but there is no way to make it happen (without a ton of fab work).

To recap, I am completely on board that a 10" Forgestar F14 will fit on a V1. You just can't use that wide of a wheel to it's full potential on the back of a V1(without surgery).

Last edited by Creative Steel; 04-28-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Corrected tire model
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to thank you for offering products for the V1 but as patient and as understanding as I try to be here, I'm beginning to get a little jaded with the trailing arms I just purchased a few months ago.

I found out in another thread that there is all of a sudden a new design based on the limitations of the original ones I just received in February. As asked in another thread, can the arms I just bought be easily modified to accept the 2nd gen design or is a new arm all the way around?....received no answer.

Now this ^^^^^^!?!?! "We have our trailing arms on our car so there was no interference there, the tire hit the front cradle mount and the frame with more than an inch still sticking out past the outside of the wheel well lip." What, why would you build an arm any wider than the other unmovable obstacles in the car...makes no sense to me...is this why you came out with a 2nd gen design???

I bought these arms because you were getting pretty jaded with the community here....I've learned to buy specialty items while you can because they may not be available forever.....but now I hear there's a new design just a couple of months latter?

So tell us Max, just how big of a tire have you personally put on your V1 with the your first gen trailing arms....wheel size and brand along with tire size and brand are all the info I seek because I know variations occur in the real world.

I will be a long term customer if I get a fair shake but I'm getting a bit frustrated here.....I want the best, but apparently I don't have it.

Last edited by ls1247; 04-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1247
I want to thank you for offering products for the V1 but as patient and as understanding as I try to be here, I'm beginning to get a little jaded with the trailing arms I just purchased a few months ago.

I found out in another thread that there is all of a sudden a new design based on the limitations of the original ones I just received in February. As asked in another thread, can the arms I just bought be easily modified to accept the 2nd gen design or is a new arm all the way around?....received no answer.

Now this ^^^^^^!?!?! "We have our trailing arms on our car so there was no interference there, the tire hit the front cradle mount and the frame with more than an inch still sticking out past the outside of the wheel well lip." What, why would you build an arm any wider than the other unmovable obstacles in the car...makes no sense to me...is this why you came out with a 2nd gen design???

I bought these arms because you were getting pretty jaded with the community here....I've learned to buy specialty items while you can because they may not be available forever.....but now I hear there's a new design just a couple of months latter?

So tell us Max, just how big of a tire have you personally put on your V1 with the your first gen trailing arms....wheel size and brand along with tire size and brand are all the info I seek because I know variations occur in the real world.

I will be a long term customer if I get a fair shake but I'm getting a bit frustrated here.....I want the best, but apparently I don't have it.
This post is for all of you, not just ls1247

OK...(inhale....hold it,1,2,3...exhale) let's not get excited. Life is good.

The new design of trailing arm has nothing to do with the width of tire/wheel combo that can fit on the V, only how low you can lower the car before suspension bind occurs. If you are not one of the guys that what to see just how low you can get the car (as low as possible)(lower the better) then you will have no issues with the first design of arms.

The tire that I was talking about in the previous post was a 305/30/19 which is MONSTER of a tire that was never going to fit on a V1 no matter what.
On my car now...I have a Continental Extreme Contact 275/30/19 on 9.5 wide V2 wheels. With that wheel we could have gone to a 285/30/19 with no issues. Go to tirerack.com for the section width of those tires to see what will fit on a V1. Section Width is the real number that a guy needs to know when buying tires for his V. NOT the "size of tire" that is sold by. Tires range in "actual size" from one manufacturer to another that are listed as the "same size".

I apologize for not answering your question in a previous post. The first design arms can not be modified to fit like the second/new design. The second design has the bend without the gusset in a different location and at more of an angle. The material that the arms are made of is too rigid to straighten out, in order to put the bend in the new location.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm just curious about the re-design? Any pictures? I plan on lowering my car by about an inch is all so I should be good with my set.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious, has anyone found what the max SECTION WIDTH is with the V1? that is, if they do not change the offset or shim?
Or examples of ones that work?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

First Design in Black, Second Design in Red. The yellow tape represents approximately where the trailing arm passes under the front subframe bolt. This offers about another 1.5" of extra clearance.

Creative Steel Trailing arm group buy! Wider wheels here we come!-img_0860-1-.jpg

Quick Reply: Creative Steel Trailing arm group buy! Wider wheels here we come!