Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Spark plugs for Maggied V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plugs for Maggied V?

All, I'm was thinking of changing the plugs In My Maggied V. It has Ac delco 41-110's in it. They look great but was thinking about going a heat range colder. So i picked up some NGK TR6's (4177). They look right but I was surprised by the $2.09 a piece price at Advanced auto. So question is. If the delcos look new should I even Worry about it and are the tr6's the right thing? Will they be better than what's in there?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it ain't broke ...
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If ur running stock boost and have a decently rich tune the delco's should be fine. Anything more than that and you'll want to run the tr6's and gap em at .035
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
If ur running stock boost and have a decently rich tune the delco's should be fine. Anything more than that and you'll want to run the tr6's and gap em at .035
^ Agree to both
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Default plugs changed

All,
I am taking the car to RPM next wednesday for a full tune (thread here). I called them back and got their opinion on the plugs. Anyhow, I went ahead and replaced the plugs with new TR6's for peace of mind. To be honest I have no idea where the tune is right now as I purchased the car the way it is. I see about 4/4.5 lbs of boost on the gauge. The car has full exhaust, Kooks L/T's, high flow cats and Corsa cat back. Also has a LPE GT2-3 cam and some other bolt-ons.

John
Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Boost is way low or gauge is off, ESP for a full exhaust car. You should be seeing 7.5 minimum. Is the tensioner strong? Belt stretched? Rear belt slipping? Something sounds off, I'd check the easy stuff before seeing the tuner and dropping coin.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

DMM,
To be honest the gauge is mounted in the center console buy the shifter. Not what I would have chosen, but thats where the previous owner put it. So I have never really been able to stare at it at high RPMs. Generally at those RPMs I'm just trying to keep it on the road and shift gears . I will have to either have someone else watch it or video it. Ill get back with more certain boost numbers.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal. Hope it does well! I've never dealt with RPM, but they have a stellar rep and Fran is active on the boards with many happy customers chiming in...so you can't lose. Let us know what she puts down!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, Gopro reveals the gauge goes to 5psi almost immediately when I floor it and just stays there till 6K. Not sure how accurate the gauge is but its an Auto Meter sport-comp with a plastic tube going to the rear driver side of the Maggie lower intake. Should I be looking for more boost?

I dont know for sure how to tell if the belt is tight enough or if the tensioner is strong enough? But now that im thinking about it...I did notice the other day when I was under the hood that the serpentine belt was two ribs off on the tensioner pulley. I fixed it and it seems to be staying now? Guess ill research the correct belt and replace it?
John
Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

The tell tale is the two stripes of black powdery residue on the underside of the hood insulation right where the supercharger pulley is, belt dust from slippage. If the belt is not stretched too far, you should have no more than 1/4 of the total available travel (looking at the stops) on the tensioner. I've always had good luck with the Gates micro-V belts, but if its slipping anything will be better.

I'll add that the supplied tensioners are quite strong with the Maggie kit...plenty strong enough to stretch a belt that is two or more years old.

Last edited by DMM; 08-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

5psi on stock maggie pulleys with a full exhaust and cam set up sounds about right. on a completely stock car with just the maggie most see 6-7 lbs...with the flow of headers,exhaust and a cam im surprised you only dropping the restriction a lb or so. remember boost is only a measure of restriction...the better the car flows the less restriction but the car will make more power even with less psi being shown.

for what its worth and having seen you say the belt jumped a couple ribs.. id throw a new gates belt on right before the dyno sesh
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

DMM,
The tensioner is in the 1/4 off the bottom area, or less than an inch from the shortest it can go. There is no rubber dust or anything anywhere...but then again I did just clean up the engine bay last week and havn't drove the car much since then. Do you have a part number for the belt and the best place to pick one up? Just in case.

The belt on the back of the blower seems tight to me also.

I took the vacuum tube off the bypass canister and sucked on it. It actuated just fine. With the car started the canister is open also. So thats working good.

I took a can of carb cleaner and sprayed around a little and didnt observe any impact. I even unhooked the bypass valve so that it would be sucking thru the blower. Still no impact with spraying the carb cleaner. So kinda rules out a vacuum leak.

Im running out of options...Maybe the gauge is off? I dont have another gauge I guess I could get a different one? The blower makes plenty of noise and the car pulls hard. But ive never been in another Maggied V? so I have no reference.

Could the cam cause the blower to not make as much boost? Its a comp GT2-3 (207/220, .571/.578, 118.5 CL)?

Anymore thoughts? I appreciate your input.

Punishmentcycle,
I agree once i get a part number for a belt im going to pick it up or order it so i can change it before the session next week. I feel the car runs pretty strong but then again as i said...i have no refernce.

John
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds legit...the GT2/3 cam is nearly identical to the OE LS6 so there should not be much loss there. I had almost the same setup with headers etc and was right at 8 psi IIRC at 6500. The larger LS2 will have a little less boost, but 5 to 5.5 seems low.

GFallen has an 07 LS2 with headers and no cam, maybe he can chime in on what he's seeing boost wise for reference.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

the real test will come when its on the dyno. if your seeing 5.5 lbs and the numbers are close to 470-480 then your right on track with where you should be with full bolt ons and a small cam in stock 6.0

if your in the 450-460 area after he straitens out the tune then something is up.

just for reference (on an ls6) when my motor was bone stock with the maggie,stock 2.8 and stock balancer with katech headers,no cats and the ls7 clutch i was seeing just about 7lbs...went to the overdriven balancer and got up to 8.5....then went to a 2.6 pulley and got 9 sometimes 10lbs but the belts were streching and slipping away.

currently im seeing 13lbs with mods in the sig and its been nothing but fun..till i snapped a motor mount in half haha..now i gotta wait a couple days to beat on her some more
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

What size is the jackshaft pulley? Some of the really early units shipped with a 3" pulley where all the later ones shipped with the 2.8". If its the 3" as I suspect, your number sound spot on to me. I would pulley down and see how she does.

If its a 2.8, I would verify the boost with a different gauge first. If its still low, she what she looks like on the dyno and go from there.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Launching!

I'm at 6 pounds, punishment is dead on with his measurements. Next is OD pulley then should be at 7.5 like he said. The 3.0 pulley theory is interesting...
Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I stand corrected. Apologies!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Any updates?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

I measured the pulley on the front of the jack shaft(assuming thats the one you were referring to) and it 3"s outside to outside. So yeah I want a 2.8! Think I saw people talking about it on another thread. Ill go and check that. But to save time does anyone have quick info on where I can order the pulley? Also, what is the correct belt part number? Will the belt be the same with the 2.8 pulley? I would like to order the stuff ASAP so I can install before next wednesday if possible. If not I might move the tune a couple days.

Thanks for the help also!
John
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

What type of pulley do you have? The early model has a single bolt on the shaft that retains the pulley, the later four bolts to retain the pulley on a fixed hub (TVS style). I have an early 2.6" for an early (one bolt pulley) laying around the shop, but won't be home before you take it to get tuned.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs for Maggied V?