Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

7 dollar 7 inch tablet mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 dollar 7 inch tablet mount

I was tired of the crappy radio in the car so I made a cheap mount for a tablet. No, it's not perfect or professional, but it does function well. It allows me to take it in and out of the car easily since most tablets dont like 100 degrees plus for long periods of time.

In order for it to work you will need to have an auxillary input of some sort. I did the relay method on the Faq site. Right now I just have a 3.5mm cable but will be adding a bluetooth adapter and pre amplifier since the volume is down a tad.

Here are some pics. The tablet is a nexus 7. It has gps which many tablets dont.

Main screen

Sygic. not navigating now, but shows speed limits and three dimensional buildings, which lane to be in, and other useful stuff. the search function sucks, but you can use the browser to find things then open in sygic

I have Torque on the tablet but I dont remember where my obd scanner went.

The back side

I bought a $7 case for the tablet on ebay. I thought it was a hard case but it turned out to be a rubbery plastic. Oh well. I used gorilla superglue to bond it and it worked well.
It works by sitting on the ledge of the screen and sticking into the dvd navigation disk slot. It protrudes about an inch and an eighth into the slot via home depot paint stirrer that i ground to shape. the piece that holds the stirrer to the case is a random piece of lexan I found in the garage. You can use anything that is rigid yet bendable, like 1/16 inch metal or plastic. then you just set your tablet on the ledge and guesstimate where you need to bend it and glue the piece to it. The stirrer doesnt need to be absolutely tight since its on a downwards slope. I painted mine with plastidip for a tad bit of grip, but it holds fine.

I just drove from florida to new york and had no problems with the mount. The only issue I had was with the gps antenna not working the greatest in the vertical position, but it worked well enough and if I need more accuracy I just pulled it out and held it horizontal.

Quick Reply: 7 dollar 7 inch tablet mount