Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just picked up an 04 Maggied V

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up an 04 Maggied V

I just picked up a 04 maggied V. The car has 60k miles. mod list goes as fallows:

Maggie Sc, (mp 112 I believe)
Corsa Exhaust (cat back) X pipe

I believe that the shifting is stock because it seems way to long. I want to look into getting a shorter throw system as iv read a lot about the UUC system which i think ill go with.

I really want to get out as much of the engine and current set up as i can. My question is what are my best options as far as going with Cam, Long tube headers / High flow cat combination, and i would also like to know some options as far as a bigger TB option such as going with something other than the stock TB on the blower... Maybe a 88 or 90 mm option if possible. Another thing i would love to hear some opinion on is what heads would be the best option for my current set up to get the best HP numbers.

Any info would be awesome guys.. If any of the FI guys could chime in i would really appreciate it!

Thanks, Keenan
Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome, where did you pick the car up from? Been seeing a few pop up for sale
Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Bought it From a guy that i knew back in michigan. Always indoor kept. He would keep it in his warehouse most of the time rarely driven as i knew him for a while. Wanted to pick up a new toy so i figured this was a good option as i know how well the car was kept.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A mild cam would be great on a Maggie car. Something that would be optimized for the blower with stock displacement. Not some huge naturally aspirated cam like an MS3. Longtubes will definitely provide hp/tq gains. Plus with the cam and headers, it will sound better in my opinion. A Cadillac with some exhaust lope gets strange looks sometimes..hah

To go with a 90mm TB you will need to change the blower snout to a 90mm (4 bolt style) as used on the 05-06 LS2 Maggie cars. Magnuson does sell these. I have been thinking about trying this on mine, but not sure if it's really worth it or not dollarwise.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
A mild cam would be great on a Maggie car. Something that would be optimized for the blower with stock displacement. Not some huge naturally aspirated cam like an MS3. Longtubes will definitely provide hp/tq gains. Plus with the cam and headers, it will sound better in my opinion. A Cadillac with some exhaust lope gets strange looks sometimes..hah

To go with a 90mm TB you will need to change the blower snout to a 90mm (4 bolt style) as used on the 05-06 LS2 Maggie cars. Magnuson does sell these. I have been thinking about trying this on mine, but not sure if it's really worth it or not dollarwise.
90mm TB swap was dyno proven for about 6hp. From my experience the best way to get power out of these Maggie's is to setup the motor for max power NA then slap the 112 on it. Lowering compression and using a blower cam that bleeds off boost is the wrong approach to building this particular set up.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or just read punishmentcycle's thread on making the Maggie into a starship warp drive.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Or just read punishmentcycle's thread on making the Maggie into a starship warp drive.
lol, thanks man but i went about this set up the wrong way and am the first to admit it. while it running awesome and makes great power and torq for what it is it could have been much better with higher compression and a bigger cam aimed more for an na build.

i did some pulley swapping when changing my belt yesterday and some how found another lb of boost..it crept to 14 in the upper rpms and feels a bit more on point. ill make a small vid later today
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Woot!!!! Video of Maggie on steroids screaming! I'll get the lotion for the future fapping
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
90mm TB swap was dyno proven for about 6hp. From my experience the best way to get power out of these Maggie's is to setup the motor for max power NA then slap the 112 on it. Lowering compression and using a blower cam that bleeds off boost is the wrong approach to building this particular set up.
Ummm, are you sure about this?

Set up the motor for max power N/A? Cause that would include high compression and a big cam with high overlap that will bleed boost.

I'd say the best way is to keep relatively high compression (needs less air in the cylinder to build boost) and a good blower cam with low overlap so as not to bleed boost. All good blower cams utilize a wider LSA to limit the overlap.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i did it again id go with 11/1 compression and a 224/224 cam. im not a huge fan of big cams. but yes setting the motor up for NA then adding the maggie is the way to go
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
if i did it again id go with 11/1 compression and a 224/224 cam. im not a huge fan of big cams. but yes setting the motor up for NA then adding the maggie is the way to go
I disagree. Cam selection is would be completely different N/A versus Maggie. Lift/duration isn't the whole story. Like I said previously, LSA plays a big part. An N/A cam is going to run 110-114 LSA which has a lot of overlap which aids in scavenging intake air. You don't want that with boost, because the boost will bleed directly out of the exhaust valves on the overlap.

A good boost came would be something on a 115-117 LSA.

Sure, you can set it up N/A and slap a maggie on there, but it will be far from optimized. I do agree about maintaining a relatively high CR though.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

take a look at what shops and cam companies recommend for the maggies..youll be surprised

they do keep the lsa in the upper teens but not that much higher than say a stock ls6 lsa.

im running the ls9 cam and chose it for the drivability aspect..not power. when i set my motor up i did so on a budget and with drivability and reliability being top priority...plus i have room to grow with just a set of head studs and bigger adder keeping me from big power.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

pics, or it didnt happen....lol

Quick Reply: Just picked up an 04 Maggied V