Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Revshift upper control arm bushings driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Do you have urethane control arm bushings? Because those are subjected to torsion, whereas motor mounts, subframe, and differential bushings are not. Energy Suspension Formula 5 prelube (which is bundled with Revshift bushings) is acknowledged to be better than Prothane.

Since we're having problems with Formula 5, either a) we need to find an alternative that doesn't melt urethane, or b) just keeping lubing it up.
Yes but on a different platform...Energy Suspension reds. Mild squeaks in the beginning (4-5 months???) and hit it with Prothane grease, done.

I didn't know what came packaged with the Revshift stuff - sorry and Gluck.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
Yes but on a different platform...Energy Suspension reds. Mild squeaks in the beginning (4-5 months???) and hit it with Prothane grease, done.

I didn't know what came packaged with the Revshift stuff - sorry and Gluck.
I wish I knew whether the squeaking was coming from the metal core rotating inside the bushing, the bushing rotating inside the cup, or the flanged sides of the bushing pushing against the subframe. If I did, I could recommend a Zerk fitting, a change in the bushing/core aspect ratio, or the brute force lube approach. I have a fresh tube of Prothane, so I'll definitely get to the bottom of the relative "goodness" of each competing lube. Whether I come to an understanding of what's causing the squeaking to arise is another question.

Did you notice that your bushings had broken in when you had them out for lubrication? I'd be fine with a "two lubes and done" scenario.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the "breaking in" was when I did a couple auto-x events. My s2k (like most) are very tail happy esp with forced induction. After a few embarrassing 180s I got some good advice from an experienced Miata/s2k buddy, certified mech blah blah blah. Took off the rear sway and beefed up the front sway with a Saner. He was the one who noticed my somewhat dry bushings so long story short...a bit of suspension tuning and a generous application of Prothane grease stopped the squeaks.

So to answer your question, yes I think they needed to be broken in for my case. The polys were in good condition - I just slathered it up very generously. It's never been a problem since.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It probably wont last, but all I had was acdelco brake lube laying around and I used that. I have used it many times on brakes and it seems to last. I will keep ya posted in how it works, I have about 100 miles with no noise. The only fix to my control arm issue was to torque the bolts to about 30 ft lbs. I know its loose, but now they move somewhat free.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Launching!

I've got red 95a ruca bushings waiting to go in soon. Do any of you guys have any updates to how these have been working out since installing? Should I plan on doing zerks right away or has the lube kept the squeaking down? Are they worth the trouble at all, etc?

Last edited by ravenls6v; 04-17-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll keep an eye on this thread so I can see what works on not making these bushings squeak before I buy em. I'm not going in every month to re-lube. That's a bit much.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

mine don't squeak at all..... when the windows are up
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Launching!

^I do have an upgraded stereo...maybe that is the best lube lol. Basically I'm just looking for a yes put them in or don't bother type of advice. My car is just for street use in reality, no auto x or drag or anything. Goal is just to correct all the factory shortcomings to start. I'm dropping the cradle for rs bushings, cs trailing arms and gforce econo axles soon and trying to figure out if I'll regret the squeaky/binding upper control arm bushings or not.

Last edited by ravenls6v; 04-17-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
^I do have an upgraded stereo...maybe that is the best lube lol. Basically I'm just looking for a yes put them in or don't bother type of advice. My car is just for street use in reality, no auto x or drag or anything. Goal is just to correct all the factory shortcomings to start. I'm dropping the cradle for rs bushings, cs trailing arms and gforce econo axles soon and trying to figure out if I'll regret the squeaky/binding upper control arm bushings or not.
Cradle bushings are a big improvement and something worth doing on even a street car. All the control arm bushings are a huge waste if you never plan to track or autoX the car because you'll never know you changed them until they start to squeak.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Revshift is supposedly coming out with some updated 95a bushing. I was the first person I knew about having the issues, but I guess Revshift got alot of complaint and installed a set of 95a in their shop car and torqued everything down and had the same binding issues. I don't know if they released them yet or not. I'm suppose to get a set once there out. And the squeaking annoyed the hell out of me, but it was the ride quality that was absolutely horrible. The bushings didn't allow the upper control arm to move when torqued. So before you install them, call Revshift and verify if there the new or old version.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Launching!

^Mine are red 95a ruca bushings so I'm sure they're the old version. The 95a's on the site are green now. I don't think the green are any different from the originals other than color so far. I'll have to email revshift and see what the scoop is I guess.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The nature of poly in a binding joint is difficult to keep quiet. I've seen this time and time again on multiple platforms. I have never seen a poly control arm bushing remedy and I've tried a lot myself.
The only way I can think of to make these quieter would be to design the bushings with metal end caps with prongs that extend into the bushing to keep it from turning.

Quick Reply: Revshift upper control arm bushings driving me nuts