Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kit sounds really neat, out of my price range while building my 55 Chevy, but neat. If I had a lower mileage nice V I would consider it for sure.

I also want to thank the guys who are offering their input, both positive and negative. It bothers me that people sometimes blindly (Not saying thats whats happening here) support a product that may have issues. I had a friend and my brother both buy Innovate wide bands from that were featured in a magazine, and recomended by some on forums. My friend is on his 3rd in 150 miles and my brother had one die in a week, but the second seems to be lasting almost a year now.

Great to see a new possible product for our cars.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

maybe around tax season. 7700 is pretty steep... mid 6s would have me going around tax season
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 81LS1Camaro
The kit sounds really neat, out of my price range while building my 55 Chevy, but neat. If I had a lower mileage nice V I would consider it for sure.

I also want to thank the guys who are offering their input, both positive and negative. It bothers me that people sometimes blindly (Not saying thats whats happening here) support a product that may have issues. I had a friend and my brother both buy Innovate wide bands from that were featured in a magazine, and recomended by some on forums. My friend is on his 3rd in 150 miles and my brother had one die in a week, but the second seems to be lasting almost a year now.

Great to see a new possible product for our cars.
Not to derail off topic but what's your problem with innovate widebands? I know close to 20 people who use them and have used them myself. If you have an issue, get an RMA and send it back. They'll look at it and if it doesn't work, they'll just send you a new one. Mine was 2 years old and had no receipt and I still got a new one at no cost in two weeks. Can't really beat that for an extremely fast lambda sensor at super low cost.

I wouldn't say their support is 'blind' at all.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Teching In

I know a company willing to build a twin kit cheaper with there turbos. They have kits for GTO and G8 already. Really nice company. When I talked to them they just needed somebody to drop there V off a month or two. I was going with them but decided to do something else with my car. From what they told me the price would be 5500-6500 for every thing but a fuel pump. So I know it can be done in that price range.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

companies build many things for GTO and G8 but not for us. We have a very cramped engine bay and honestly not many active owners who are looking to spend big on one item. just not enough of a market.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fuzzylog1c
then, please contest one of my points. I don't want to blindly rehash what was said previously, trying to address the point you're concerned about. But here's one token example, for fun:

say hello to water ingestion. Not to mention the possibility of rocks and roadside fod punching a hole in those filters and getting sucked into the turbo. Definitely not suitable for daily driven cars. Without a protective casement (which seems like a no brainer), the only thing i can see this configuration being suitable for is dyno testing and the strip. Definitely not the track, since you won't be able to do any suspension work whatsoever without snagging one of the 3" tubes running beneath the subframe:

why did you post these pictures? This wasnt even what his first system ended up looking like, these were first stages of design work, many things changed. The system we are designing now have pretty much all of your concerns eliminated.

There will be intake pipes off the turbo that put the filters up under the manifolds with heat shields

wastegate dumps will be recirculated, not out the rocker panel

the turbos will be tucked up tighter to the trans and floor boards.

Scavange system will be plug and play with its own wiring harness and relay.

The (2") piping that goes to the intercooler from the comp housings will be ovalized piping, and will tuck up flush with the frame, to allow lowered cars more ground clearance.

We have been discussing pricing, and went to the drawing board multiple times to see what we can do.

We have come up with a total price with everything that was listed still included for 6500.00$
Old 11-04-2013, 08:56 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MyslowGTO
I know a company willing to build a twin kit cheaper with there turbos. They have kits for GTO and G8 already. Really nice company. When I talked to them they just needed somebody to drop there V off a month or two. I was going with them but decided to do something else with my car. From what they told me the price would be 5500-6500 for every thing but a fuel pump. So I know it can be done in that price range.
I believe you're talking about the APS kit...they make them for G8's as well (Australian company) however they don't come close to fitting the V1's (I tried that route as well). And as an FYI - they were $6500 back in 2005 or so and made about 545 whp (small turbo's). Here are some pics of their set up:

Name:  gto_3_4_rear_zpsc8069370.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  gto_3_4_front_zps8df09357.jpg
Views: 4780
Size:  55.7 KB

I have to say that I am pretty amazed that everyone is trying to kill this...I would have done this in a heartbeat. For Christ sake...the measly Maggie 112 kit is now $6500 for about 450 whp. Despite the arguments about what B's car made on the dyno, the video's of the street kills he posted were the proof as far as I'm concerned. A 224/224 cam on 115 LSA with this twin turbo kit would be absolutely ridiculous.

As for the tuned exhaust...we're not talking Honda's here and there's a reason people use the flipped factory manifolds. They flow very well and cast iron is much better than steel for a turbo since it retains the heat better and is less prone to damage/cracking.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xrambbc
why did you post these pictures? This wasnt even what his first system ended up looking like, these were first stages of design work, many things changed. The system we are designing now have pretty much all of your concerns eliminated.
I posted those pictures because they were the only ones available. I'm glad you're working on making the system more robust.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by philistine
Put the rain and water stuff to rest...it's not a factor with reliability, performance or longevity.

I agree the driver side is optimum for snaking an intake pipe. The part where you speak of customer service is where I drop the idea of a mail order kit. Something like this needs expert techs on call to resolve issues.

I'm interested in your plenum box - do you have sketches or can share more details?
Sorry man, no sketches. It was all in my head just like the E-Force build. My mother was an artist and I can't draw a straight line to save my life...go figure. If you'd like to hear my thoughts PM me your number and I'll give you a shout.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Teching In

No... I was actually talking about this kit and company http://www.uppcos.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=352 There is a few vettes and gto running them. I guess some of them could tell you how they are holding up. When I talked to them they acted very willing to build a kit for us if he had a car for mocking up a kit.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I posted those pictures because they were the only ones available. I'm glad you're working on making the system more robust.
No apology or anything?

What a stand-up guy! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
No apology or anything?

What a stand-up guy! Thanks!
Nope. I still think the original setup was a flaming pile. You need to recognize that criticism is a valuable contribution to any discussion. Many car people are so accustomed to having others blow smoke up their a**, regardless of the quality of their work, that it freaks them out when someone criticizes their design. Personally, I shrug off complements because they don't teach me anything--the people that give me crap for not doing a better job are the people whose opinion I value.

If I thought the shop or the design wasn't amenable to improvement, I wouldn't bother saying anything. My silence (or lack of willingness to engage in debate) is a clearer indication of disgust than any criticism you'll see me write. Also, for the record, people need to stop strongly attaching their sense of self worth to others' perception of their car. Some of the best people I know drive bad cars, or don't know how to maintain their cars.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 11-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xrambbc

There will be intake pipes off the turbo that put the filters up under the manifolds with heat shields

wastegate dumps will be recirculated, not out the rocker panel

the turbos will be tucked up tighter to the trans and floor boards.

Scavange system will be plug and play with its own wiring harness and relay.

The (2") piping that goes to the intercooler from the comp housings will be ovalized piping, and will tuck up flush with the frame, to allow lowered cars more ground clearance.

We have been discussing pricing, and went to the drawing board multiple times to see what we can do.

We have come up with a total price with everything that was listed still included for 6500.00$
$6500...not bad. I'm 95% complete with my baseline mods for more power and twin turbos was top of my list for the next phase - added better fueling. Very interested in seeing some fitment pics. I guess those other pics were still in the design stages - I accidentally snapped some pics of a Procharger build at a local speedshop and the owner made me delete it, super strict policy of no pics during design stages for the public.

Last edited by philistine; 11-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

$6500 is a deal considering the beauty of turbos is you can throw a boost controller on it and make 430rwhp or 650rwhp with the turn of a ****. Not to mention its easier to put down power with a turbo then with a roots blower. I bet you 5-6psi you cna make your stock clutch and diff last a long time compared to a maggie car.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Two, general, business ideas that might make this kit particularly interesting:
  1. Financing options (e.g. Paypal offers an easy 6 month option) or the ability to buy and install the kit in modular chunks.
  2. Developing/offering the kit with a clearly marked upgrade path. Have a stock engine? Here are your small, inexpensive turbos. Have a 408 stroker? Try these 76mm turbos--they fit right where your old ones went.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Alright, back on topic....this is a great opportunity so lets keep the posts constructive please.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Two, general, business ideas that might make this kit particularly interesting:
  1. Financing options (e.g. Paypal offers an easy 6 month option) or the ability to buy and install the kit in modular chunks.
  2. Developing/offering the kit with a clearly marked upgrade path. Have a stock engine? Here are your small, inexpensive turbos. Have a 408 stroker? Try these 76mm turbos--they fit right where your old ones went.
I did mention upgrades . . . 76mm? good luck keeping those from touching the ground.... main reason why Brandons car is single, 72's barely make it, they hang down an inch from the bell housing, tried it.

67mm on .70 a/r housings are as big as you can go before the comp housing becomes too large to keep it flush or above the frame line.

The system on Brandons car made 580rwhp on low boost (6 psi) and 725rwhp on 11, all at the push of a button.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea twin 76s are overkill unless your goal is 1000+rwhp. Hell 57s would be fine for a lot of guys on here.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

6,500 I would be in after I see fitment. The fit and finish would have to be top notch, charge pipes and intake are my biggest concerns right now. oil and water lines for the turbo or just oil? I would prefer to run my engine coolant through the turbos for better cooling...
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by isis
Not to derail off topic but what's your problem with innovate widebands? I know close to 20 people who use them and have used them myself. If you have an issue, get an RMA and send it back. They'll look at it and if it doesn't work, they'll just send you a new one. Mine was 2 years old and had no receipt and I still got a new one at no cost in two weeks. Can't really beat that for an extremely fast lambda sensor at super low cost.

I wouldn't say their support is 'blind' at all.
I just saw 3 out of 5 fail in short order is all. I don't want to take over this thread though. Here's where its talked about. Both my brother (supershift67) and my friend Bill were told it must be their wiring. I know Bill was not offered support after the warranty period was up. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...band-inop.html

I not just talking about Innovate stuff either. I read a magazine article about a TKO 600 install, it had shifting problems at over 6k rpm and they said it just needed break in and left it at that, with no follow up of course. A friend of mine has the same trans, bought brand new, in his Camaro. Like most people he expected to be able to shift it at 6500 like the old muncie that was in it. Well at those kind of rpms the trans acted like 3rd wasnt even there and after sending it back to D&D for work (who did there best to take care of him) he still had issues and contacted Liberty gear. He ended up have Liberty do some syncro work to it so he could use it and works great now, he's actually running a 10.30 in the quarter right now. I asked a Tremec rep at the power tour about the situation, he said "Oh no, they wont shift quickly above 6k rpm." Now I have never seen anything in their literature or magazine articles stating that they are not ok for high rpm shifts. There are complaints all over the internet about it, but vendors act like its the best transmission ever. The rep told me to get a t56 for that kind of use.

I guess I feel like alot of people leave out important information for marketing purposes, and welcome people that question the quality and design of new parts. As long as its constructive and not just blind bashing of a product of course.

Last edited by 81LS1Camaro; 11-05-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit