Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sadly, I have little options. I dont want the car to burn to the ground like others have done and I do not have access to a lift anymore. Such is life. I needed to get something aka (CTS-V) to build some credit to buy a house!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Every time I've been to the Cadillac dealership they put their hands all over parts of the car unrelated to the service.

Some high school aged techs ruined two Forgestar F14 wheels by dripping fluid all over trying (unsuccessfully) for 3 hours to bleed my brakes. I had 7 quarts of DOT 4 in the trunk and told them to use it. I didn't think that they'd use ALL of it. I mean, if first you don't succeed, try fifteen more times without talking to the customer?

A different dealership randomly torqued my wheel nuts to between about 70 ft-lbs and 140 ft-lbs and failed to diagnose a BCM swap issue which I fixed in 5 minutes with my knockoff Tech 2. Through the cameras, I saw them pull out cell phones and (I think) either photograph my car or Google how to do something. Good to know that they're on Instagram or taking advice from some old CadillacForums thread.

In short, the dealership is probably okay for your mom or dad who throw away their cars every 4-6 years, but if you care about your car, stay the eff away from the dealership.
As a former service writer, I'd never subject my best techs the torture of working on your bastardized car. Yes, I'd put every flunky I had on it cause I'm sure you immediately came off as a first class ***** and I'd know, therefore, that i could never make you happy anyway so why put my best guys through that.

and why would you take your car to the dealer to fix a failed BCM swap issue when you could fix it yourself in 5 minutes...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is stock as fuuuuu less the rear muffler delete. i have probably three gallons on the tank for the techs. i set them up to win. I hope they reciprocate.

My father has been in the automotive industry since 1964. And still is. Service write since 1994. Not my first rodeo simply my first Cadillac-themed rodeo.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kra86
Mine is stock as fuuuuu less the rear muffler delete. i have probably three gallons on the tank for the techs. i set them up to win. I hope they reciprocate.

My father has been in the automotive industry since 1964. And still is. Service write since 1994. Not my first rodeo simply my first Cadillac-themed rodeo.
My tech 2 programming trips to my local, unknown to me dealer have been very successful. Sure, they made a mess when they did my brake lines and yes they bent my fuel tank straps when they did the recall but GM treats the cars as a throwaway and pays the mechanics accordingly ...thems the breaks.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I find it odd how they spend the money to advertise the machines they are so proud off yet on dealer ends, they become similar to cattle.

I love my new V, I will probably keep it forever after the last few weeks of driving the car and very few machines give me that feeling. I am heading out the door now....
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it odd how they spend the money to advertise the machines they are so proud off yet on dealer ends, they become similar to cattle.

I love my new V, I will probably keep it forever after the last few weeks of driving the car and very few machines give me that feeling. I am heading out the door now....
It's because it's all about the end dollar they make when the car comes through the door, and the quality of technicians has suffered because of it.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely. Most dealerships only have one correctly and highly certified tech. The rest are fluff. I expressed my compassion and care for the car, did a walk around, explained my mild expectations and asked for no wash, or detail, or anything else.

I got a new XT5 which is bleh. Took me forever to find out how to take off the parking brake.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Definitely. Most dealerships only have one correctly and highly certified tech....
Why would that be? Because it's hard to find people willing to drop 50k on tools? Or are really good techs under paid and don't get the support they need from management or the manufacturer? Or is it that nobody wants to work on cars anymore because it's harder than most other jobs?

yes it's all those and more but really, its people who tie their lives up in their cars that drive them the craziest....
Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Most shops are hesitant to work on ANY modified car. You can find a FEW dealerships and independents who will but it's a careful conversation and two way vetting to get to a good one that you can also trust. You can't expect to drop off your modified hot rod and have treatment and results like a Camry, Accord, or Silverado. You can always go to a GOOD hot rod shop (like LMR) but you pay a premium for their knowledge and expanded willingness to modify cars and **** with customers' modifications. Fact is, many of our cars wouldn't get let in the door of many shops. Turn one bolt from factory and you risk an ongoing PITA...I think we all know this when we dive in, or should.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First day I have not driven the car since I got the thing 19 days ago. whomp whomp.

Going in tomorrow for three recalls and I am very timid. Brake lines and the key fob, I am ok, but the fuel pump means the whole rear end needs dropped.

I do not like the idea of anyone taking the whole rear apart only to possibly put the thing back together incorrectly. Chances are they partied too hard tonight and will wake up groggy tomorrow and have zero f&$#s attitude towards disassembly and reassembly. Anyone have good words to share before I let them do this?
Please post a picture of the key fix I'm curious to see what you get compared to what I got
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

New OEM clutch, DMF, and slave with Monster slave bearing. Buttery smooth revving and shifting once again.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by actrite80
Please post a picture of the key fix I'm curious to see what you get compared to what I got
I inquired and they claimed I would receive my original key. I ordered a 2nd key and FOB from parts and asked for reprogramming as well (I only have the original key and FOB, I want a 2nd set). I am sure the second key will resemble yours, GM logo and all. I was kinda bummed when I read your post because I just want the Cadillac key, it is classier, period. I also told them if I do not get that original key back, I do not want anything to do with this. I'll follow up for sure.

I am such a freak, I would sneak out of work and drive to check on my car. I must admit the loaner XTS is way quieter than the V, allows for creeping.
They moved the car inside before the giant rainstorm and I thought that was nice. I honestly do not think they did anything today. I think the fuel tank will be dropped tomorrow. They had the V safely store on the alignment rack, far away from everything and everyone else.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmilz28
New OEM clutch, DMF, and slave with Monster slave bearing. Buttery smooth revving and shifting once again.
You really have me considering going back to a stock clutch to avoid any potential head aches.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More people without problems than with. Still would avoid the ls7
Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247
As a former service writer, I'd never subject my best techs the torture of working on your bastardized car. Yes, I'd put every flunky I had on it cause I'm sure you immediately came off as a first class ***** and I'd know, therefore, that i could never make you happy anyway so why put my best guys through that.

and why would you take your car to the dealer to fix a failed BCM swap issue when you could fix it yourself in 5 minutes...
Hahaha.

I'm a tech. I hate when modified cars come into the shop because most of them are hacked junk and the owners are usually ****** about their stuff. But like every profession there are people that suck at it and people that are good and MOST techs nowadays are straight out of high school and don't work hard to get good at their jobs/careers.

Anyways I ceramic coated my car, cleaned the interior and decided to order my cam.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
More people without problems than with. Still would avoid the ls7
I totally buy this. I think a majority of them are close enough to be fine. Some portion isn't but it doesn't bother the owner. My Ls1 and cammed LS3 were both fine with the LS7 clutch. The final portion is "vibey" beyond the tolerance of the owner, my SWAG is 10-15%. Were I to do it over again, I'd have gone back OEM or tried a Monster. Monster I suspect is even better than the LS7, which you would expect given the price delta. OEM is the safe bet because of how the DMF is designed. Most people get good results with the LS7 and for less money, I was not one of those. Hindsight is great! If you don't mind installing yourself, perhaps more than once, it's probably worth the risk. If you have to pay someone else to do it, paying twice sucks. If you're paying someone else, the only way they will stand behind it, parts and labor, is almost always OEM parts only. Anything other and it's on you.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I got it sopping wet and stuffed it full of the best..... wait.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sent in the drawings to fab my adjustable tie rods, toe rods, and rear spring perches using 17-4 PH H1150 stainless. They cost an average of $700 per set, or $2100 total. Although I've done the math and the modeling and gotten significant peer review, they need to be torture tested. Should be fun. Also, I can't wait to see the tears of joy on my alignment tech's face. No more jam nuts messing up the settings. Also, the rear spring perches have swivel perches to reduce spring side load. I primarily created them because I didn't want to chop up and weld on the OEM perches and I wanted more camber adjustment without butchering the rear subframe. The nice thing about all of these designs is that they can be adapted to pretty much any car with a small change. Next up: Corvette spindle UCA adapters. The design is in the drawing stage and allows SAI, camber, and caster to be adjusted independently. The main challenge is to keep the weight down. The adjustment plates are so damn heavy.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I purchased a V2 Leather shift **** from Lindsay Cadillac.

I tried placing the shifter in reverse, pressing forward on the top and pulling up and I Just cannot remove the dang thing. I'm not gonna hack it, so it will stay the OEM one until I figure it out or get stronger hands. I keep depressing in the cubby which makes it doubly annoying!
I put mine into 2nd, pulled up and twisted at the same time. It came right off with little effort.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Jacked up each side to remove the wheel chocks, which are slightly worse for wear after losing a battle against the starter motor and a clutch that wouldn't disengage with the pedal fully depressed.

Then rolled the car down to the flat-ish part of the driveway and jacked the nose up to try to bleed the new Wilwood clutch master cylinder.

Before I could actually start bleeding, though, I had to fix the leaky NPT fitting on the output of the MC. Removed that (noting that it felt tighter than it should while unthreading) to find that the threads on the fitting were damaged.

So now the car gets to sit at the end of the driveway for a few days until I have the new AN-to-NPT adapter on hand. Awesome.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?