Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
At least he's thinking about chicks...you should try it.
That was funny......
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed the oil...first time touching the car in my new garage, and got the approval from the wife for a lift . Time to do some shopping!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcollege
Changed the oil...first time touching the car in my new garage, and got the approval from the wife for a lift . Time to do some shopping!
Awesome! You know you'll pay twice or three times for that lift...she's gonna want something!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
Awesome! You know you'll pay twice or three times for that lift...she's gonna want something!
Well she has the whole house so the garage is mine!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

I wish I had room for a 2-post but I don't, so I've been debating this:

Anybody got one or experience with one? This is the kind that you can recess into the concrete (or not). It also has 2 separate platforms that are not connected in the middle, so you have full access under the car.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TorchRedRob
I wish I had room for a 2-post but I don't, so I've been debating this:

Anybody got one or experience with one? This is the kind that you can recess into the concrete (or not). It also has 2 separate platforms that are not connected in the middle, so you have full access under the car.
those are good if you're doing wheel/tire or brake work but I wouldn't want to
put a clutch in working off that.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I hear you, but it looks like you can go a good bit higher with it, too. Not as ideal as a 2-post, but possibly better than jack stands. Working on jack stands is starting to become an annoyance to me (dragging it all out, lift this side/end then lift that side/end...) I would love to just roll up, get it aligned and lift it up.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

kinda bulky to work around but certainly not impossible.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I wouldn't hesitate...
https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
Old 06-26-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Then there's the portable two post...
https://www.maxjaxusa.com/
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Then there's the portable two post...
https://www.maxjaxusa.com/
My buddy just got these. Still awaiting his report back.... reminds me... I should prod him.

I still want a big boy lift that I can walk underneath the car but it fits his garage well enough.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
- Decided to finally tackle the modified Hurst shifter install. Got the old UUC shifter out - the stock plastic socket has definitely seen better days, so I'm sure the Hurst will be nice and solid in comparison.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the damn clevis on the shifter linkage to fit onto the bottom of the Hurst shifter.
Got the shifter taken care of. Used a longer bolt and couple of nuts to stretch out the clevis on the linkage and that did the trick. Also installed the suede V2 **** that I picked up from Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac. Just visible at the bottom corner is the bare driver side floor - a new carpet is waiting for me @ Lindsay, gotta pick that up Tuesday.

I don't have any feel for the shifter yet - only drove the car about 150 yards, didn't even leave 1st gear, just needed to turn the car around in the driveway.

Of course the job still isn't really done. I have a Redlinegoods shift boot (black with white or silver stitching) that has been sitting around for probably 2+ years. Need to clean up the extra shifter surround that I've got, then get the nice new boot on there.

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Then rolled the car down to the flat-ish part of the driveway and jacked the nose up to try to bleed the new Wilwood clutch master cylinder.

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/P...way%20work.jpg

Before I could actually start bleeding, though, I had to fix the leaky NPT fitting on the output of the MC. Removed that (noting that it felt tighter than it should while unthreading) to find that the threads on the fitting were damaged.

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/P...%20fitting.jpg

So now the car gets to sit at the end of the driveway for a few days until I have the new AN-to-NPT adapter on hand. Awesome.
After getting the shifter taken care of, I moved on to the PMC. Had a box from Summit waiting for when I got home Monday with a couple of new adapters plus some Permatex thread sealant. I was able to successfully bleed the clutch using a new steel 4AN-to-1/8NPT adapter. Hooray!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Glad to hear you got the shifter on. Hopefully you got the silver thread, because it matches everything else in the car. See examples below.

What did you do to your V today?-qp8h0vm.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-zihluqv.jpg

Finally, dude--get some protectant on that console when you're satisfied with the shifter. It'll look vastly better.

Next time I'll probably get the 1.8" drop instead of the 1.5" drop.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed my "Brian" shifter. Wow! Feels like an actual shifter.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kra86
My buddy just got these. Still awaiting his report back.... reminds me... I should prod him.

I still want a big boy lift that I can walk underneath the car but it fits his garage well enough.
That was my first choice, but I still would have to set the damn thing up every time, so it sort of ruled it out for me unfortunately. "Simple" solution is to build a 3rd garage stall addition of appropriate width, but I have a feeling that might cost a BIT more than just the lift.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Oh, I also took at look at my balancer today while idling. It's pretty ridiculous- wobbles like a champ. Would definitely explain the 1800-2000 rpm vibration I get. Time to hit ebay and watch for a blem, I guess.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah ATI blem, or a new powerbond is always a good second option. definitely grab tensioners and **** when you have it all out of there replace anything you feel could be needed.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Installed CG Lock.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigti99a
yeah ATI blem, or a new powerbond is always a good second option. definitely grab tensioners and **** when you have it all out of there replace anything you feel could be needed.
Since it's such a PITA, I might as well go ahead and do this (and the cam/valvetrain, heads, etc.) while I'm in there:

It's been sitting in my basement for way too long while I got everything done with the suspension and drive train.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

- Installed new driver side front carpet to replace the one ruined by brake fluid. Apparently at some point there was a design change for the carpet, and they no longer come with the rubber wear pads on the dead pedal and over by the gas pedal.

Original (picture from 5 or 6 years ago):

New GM part (which appeared to have been sitting around a warehouse for a while):

Note the lower yellow circle around a nearly bare spot on the brand new carpet. Not terribly impressed by that. I'm not even sure how it happened, other than just poor production - the carpet was in a big-*** box, so it's not like it had anything sitting on it causing the wear. Or maybe it was just in the plastic wrapper for years, and didn't get boxed up until I ordered it and GM had to ship it from wherever to get to Lindsay? There was an even worse spot at the rear, probably about 8" long:

With my seat position, that rear bare spot isn't visible. Someone taller, with the seat farther back, would see that every time they got in the car. I shot a PM with those pics to Luke @ Lindsay to ask if it's possible to get another carpet. I may be screwed since I already installed it, but I pretty much had to get it in the car now; the old one is already in a landfill somewhere, and I'm heading off to a track event this weekend, so I need something there.

- Greased all the front control arm bushings.

- Replaced the front swaybar bushings. I've had the bushings for months and months. Went to replace them a while back when I was installing new front end links; had the car up on the lift at the auto hobby shop on base, so it would've been convenient to do it all at once. Unfortunately, I realized I had forgotten the bushing grease, so I didn't do it then, and I had forgotten about it until I went to grease the control arms and noticed the big gap between the swaybar and the bushing (note that's a red poly bushing under the years of grease and filth):

- Installed a new radiator under panel, as my old one (factory original?) had gotten a bit beat up. I probably didn't really need to replace it, as it wasn't that bad, but ... it's only money, right?

- Chopped up a perfectly good new passenger side fender liner to clear the brake cooling ducts I install for track events. The old fender liner had been snapped in half as a result of a tractor trailer retread strike on the highway.

- Installed the brake cooling ducts in preparation for this weekend.

- Loaded the car with most of the track day load-out.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?