Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Question about headers, CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headers, CEL

So I purchased my 05 V about 4 weeks ago, used, as-is from a dealer. They took it in on Friday,min showed up on Monday morning and bought it. The car has some unknown aftermarket headers and exhaust. The car sounds great and idles fine, pulls just fine without any issues.

My CEL came on last Wednesday. I scanned it and it was a rear 02 sensor. Now, I wasn't driving it daily, maybe once/week, but I did drive it about 200+ miles before it came on.

At first I thought maybe it just needs a tune, but if it wouldn't have been tuned before, wouldn't there be issues when driving it from the headers?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car ran perfect with headers and exhaust and no tune. What code did you get exactly? In tuning they usually just turn off those rear O2s in case high-flow or no cats are used. That dealer may have just cleared the code and then sold it knowing it would pop back up a week later of driving.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the code was cleared before and it just finished all the drive cycle requirements in order to throw the code. I would think it would have cut on way before 200 miles though.

If its a rear o2, then its definitely a tune issue IMO. I had my rear o2s deleted in tune since I'm running catless.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

The cats are there (but I'm not sure if they are just hollowed out), it was the rear left 02 sensor, iirc. I should also note that bought the car in Illinois, but I live in MO, so I don't think tuning the cats out is an option.

Edit: is there anyway to determine if the car has been tuned? Without going to get a new tune, that is?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

What part of Missouri/Illinois? If you're worried about emissions, I'm assuming the St. Louis area.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lack of cags light and cags being enforced is quickest way to identify a tune. I have headers/cats tune and get codes for o2 but doesn't trip cel. Depends how tuner handles it.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could also use spark plug non-foulers and make an extension for the rear sensors. It's very easy and works on just about any car. I have a pair under mine to keep the cels away. It's been nearly a year and passed inspection that way too.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VincentT
What part of Missouri/Illinois? If you're worried about emissions, I'm assuming the St. Louis area.
Yes, It has to be registered in the enforced areas for emissions.
Originally Posted by garrettg
Lack of cags light and cags being enforced is quickest way to identify a tune. I have headers/cats tune and get codes for o2 but doesn't trip cel. Depends how tuner handles it.
CAGS is activated and enforced.
Originally Posted by isis
You could also use spark plug non-foulers and make an extension for the rear sensors. It's very easy and works on just about any car. I have a pair under mine to keep the cels away. It's been nearly a year and passed inspection that way too.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would get a tune done. Only reason to wait is if your adding more go fast parts soon or troubleshooting a different issue that might affect the tune performance.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garrettg
I would get a tune done. Only reason to wait is if your adding more go fast parts soon or troubleshooting a different issue that might affect the tune performance.
Therein lies the issue. I am seriously considering a cam, with the headers already in place, but the rear is stock, so not sure if I should do anymore with it, or just tune it, clean it up and be happy.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have headers (long tube type), it will never pass the OBDII test as the drive cycles will never initiate.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Contact me for the work around.

In Calif. (the worst state to live in for exhaust mods) you have to pass OBDII and a sniff test.

Plus, they can fail you (visual inspection) for modified exhaust (headers) or intake.

SMOG NAZIES.

They did announce (with great fanfare) how AB2289, was gonna "streamline" the process by having OBDII testing only, but they postponed it for two years because they are inept.

One other thing.

I just dumped $1.5k into my exhaust to get it to pass emissions (replaced the cats).

It ain't cheap to fix.

Last edited by heavymetals; 12-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are 5 flags for the drive cycle. PA allows you to pass by meeting 4 of 5. The non foulers got me by that. (But I'm on stock manifolds and high flow cats) nobody noticed them during the visual. No sniffer here at all. Just obdii and visual.

It's not as strict as CA here for sure. But for $6 or so, it's an easy first stab. Maybe his area isn't as bad as CA.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok. Unless they put a sniffer in the pipe like in Cali, then you can have a tuner delete the rear O2's in the computer and it will pass OBD II all day. Most states run OBD II emissions testing now but when the function is not there, the computer will not see it and it will pass. I have done this in several states PA, NY, TX etc. As to your problem OP O2 sensors do go bad....The headers will not give a code for the cats. High flow cats may, no cats, obviously. You do not need a tune (although most benefit from one) you can simply go to a tuner and have them shut off the rear O2's usually costing anywhere from 50-150$ which is much cheaper than a tune. Then drive the car for a full drive cycle and get it inspected. Visual inspection (for most states) just check to see if there are cats there. Which it looks like I have cats on my car, but they are dummies and empty. Also, there are two rear O2's, which one is your code for? Should be bank specific. If only one is tripped then I would assume that sensor has gone out, if both are tripped, then I would assume you have dummy cats and you need to have the rear O2's shut off. That, or you are unlucky and need two new sensors. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Ok. Unless they put a sniffer in the pipe like in Cali, then you can have a tuner delete the rear O2's in the computer and it will pass OBD II all day. Most states run OBD II emissions testing now but when the function is not there, the computer will not see it and it will pass. I have done this in several states PA, NY, TX etc. As to your problem OP O2 sensors do go bad....The headers will not give a code for the cats. High flow cats may, no cats, obviously. You do not need a tune (although most benefit from one) you can simply go to a tuner and have them shut off the rear O2's usually costing anywhere from 50-150$ which is much cheaper than a tune. Then drive the car for a full drive cycle and get it inspected. Visual inspection (for most states) just check to see if there are cats there. Which it looks like I have cats on my car, but they are dummies and empty. Also, there are two rear O2's, which one is your code for? Should be bank specific. If only one is tripped then I would assume that sensor has gone out, if both are tripped, then I would assume you have dummy cats and you need to have the rear O2's shut off. That, or you are unlucky and need two new sensors. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that we have to pass the sniffer in my area (St. Louis, MO). Should I get the tune anyway? Like I mentioned, the car seems to run without issues, and after consideration, I likely will leave the car as-is, no further mods in the near future.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mild83
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that we have to pass the sniffer in my area (St. Louis, MO). Should I get the tune anyway? Like I mentioned, the car seems to run without issues, and after consideration, I likely will leave the car as-is, no further mods in the near future.
If you have the money and it is in your budget then I would get a tune yes. Also, I would find out FOR SURE, if they use a sniffer. Would be the first I heard of any other state using a sniffer except Cali and NY, New York. I'm almost positive they're OBD II only.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

MO Smog and Emissions Testing
The Missouri smog and emissions testing program is referred to as the Gateway Vehicle Inspection Program (GVIP), and is regulated by the Missouri State Highway Patrol (SHP) and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

You must complete a Missouri emissions test in addition to the safety test if your vehicle is registered in one of the following areas:

St. Louis City.
St. Louis County.
St. Charles County.
Franklin County.
Jefferson County.
Once you complete your emissions test, you will be given a vehicle inspection report (VIR) that lists the results of your test.

From what I read, it depends on what part of Missouri you are in, wether you get a sniff test or not.

Here is a link:

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM
JDB
Launching!

If the CAGS is working and CEL for O2, and cheap headers, chances are the PO was a cheapo and there's no tune. Find someone who will tune it and lessen the cost to retune for anything you do later. Or get the parts now and tune it ASAP.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Heavy's right. That's what I was referring to before. GVIP affects the St. Louis metro and requires emissions testing. Franklin, St. Charles, and Jefferson counties are the counties immediately adjacent to St. Louis county, which is surrounded by them and which contains St. Louis city.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did some research and Mo is pretty "flexible".

Useful local slang is "fast pass".
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDB
If the CAGS is working and CEL for O2, and cheap headers, chances are the PO was a cheapo and there's no tune. Find someone who will tune it and lessen the cost to retune for anything you do later. Or get the parts now and tune it ASAP.
Got in touch with a local tuner, said $50 to eliminate the CAGS and 02 codes, $350 for a full tune. I'm probably going to just go a full tune and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Question about headers, CEL