Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dilemma: LSA heads + LS3 Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dilemma: LSA heads + LS3 Intake?

So here's my dilemma:

1. Stick with my present setup (LS2 with unported 243 heads and ported LS2 intake). Save for 416 CID LS3 or 427 CID LSX. If I decide on a 427 CID LSX, sell my brand-new LSA heads and Vengeance Racing ported LS3 intake.

--OR--

2. Purchase a set of offset rockers for my LSA heads, send the LSA heads into TEA to have them ported (Stage 2 = $1500), and install them on my stock motor, along with my Vengeance Racing ported LS3 intake. Sell the old stuff. Then save for new motor.

Based on my research, switching to the LS3 intake and ported LSA heads may only net me an extra 20 RWHP and maybe 5 RWTQ over my unported heads, because I'm dropping compression by about a point. However, I might be able to make $X ($750?) back by selling my old heads and intake, which is pretty solid--Comp 26926 springs, new locks, retainers, shims, etc, and GM rockers with the Comp trunnion upgrade. The LS2 intake was ported by Cory @ LS2 Port Works, who basically made a business out of porting LS2 intakes for years.

What do you think? Ultimately, I'll be selling this LS2 once I have something better. I guess the question is whether it's worth the time and effort to put a new set of heads on the car, when I'll be selling the motor in a year's time.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd personally go with option one. It would get you to your new motor sooner. I wouldn't invest a ton in the current motor if I planned to move on soon. That's essentially my decision making. I have a constant itch to tinker on my LS6. But I'm going to keep myself busy for the next 6-7 months with little inexpensive projects and then drop in a 376/480 in the summer.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

I don't see a reason to spend the money or time on the current motor if something else is the grand plan. 20hp/5tq...I would be willing to bet a good tuner could even pull that out of your current setup for $3-400. Just not worth it unless you just feel like dicking with the current motor because you have the time and money to spare.

Based on your recent posts on here and CO, you are accumulating a nice pile of parts at your humble abode currently. If it was me, I would go ahead and finish the brake overhaul, fuel system upgrade and 9" swap. These are all things you will want done and sorted out when its time to throw more power through the car.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To do all that work and spend a bunch of money for 20hp just to put a new motor in next year is ridiculous. How many miles do you even drive it a year? If money is holding you back from the dream engine just enjoy the car (drive it more) continue to save.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I wouldnt bother touching the heads until next year when you pick a new motor. Then base the head selection on that. If your set on doing LSA heads I would just go ahead and get a FAST 102 since the bigger cubes will benefit greatly from it when you go that route.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Aren't you planning on going FI? I think you'd be a lot of money ahead to forge your LS2, keep the LSA heads and LS3 intake and slap your power adder on there. Also, increasing displacement will only limit your power adder selection. You can get away with a smaller power adder and get the same power with less displacement.

Don't buy into the BS that you have to have an iron block or that big cubes is always better. Plus, with you being concerned about handling and weight, you'd be better off with the aluminum block.

Unless you're planning on pushing 1500+hp, keep the LS2 provided it's in usable shape.

Quick Reply: Dilemma: LSA heads + LS3 Intake?