Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What's an 8.8 T bird rear worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
720?? thats with a new diff i assuming. heres what i did and a break down of it. got a complete irs tbird complete case and diff. i took it apart and had the case powdered. found an old explorer with a 31 spline true trac. used the tru trac but replaced the clutches and spiders just for peice of mind. got a new set of turd racing 3.55's and a rebuild kit. set it up my self and it might have came to 350 bucks by the time i was done.

the oem true tracs are proven to take a beating so a stocker will get you by if you dont wanna or have the coin for an after market carrier.
Here is my Price list:

Alum housing (no one wants FE):150$
Gears 3.73/3.55 ford racing: 150$
Rebuild kit: 100$
Side seals and bearings: 25$
Carbon fiber clutches: 125$
Ford *Trac Lok 31 spline: 50$

= 600$

Rear cover modified by CS: 150$
Setup charge: 300$
Solid spider gears machined to IRS spider gears: 50$

It all adds up quick. These numbers are all approx and I'm sure I could probably go lower if I waited and shopped around for ever. I have no idea how you can have a complete 8.8 differential (and trust it) for 350$!?

I would never use old bearings, would never use used gears etc and I'm still not paying for any powder coating etc etc. My hat goes off to you sir if you can do all that for 350$!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

720?? thats with a new diff i assuming. heres what i did and a break down of it. got a complete irs tbird complete case and diff. i took it apart and had the case powdered. found an old explorer with a 31 spline true trac. used the tru trac but replaced the clutches and spiders just for peice of mind. got a new set of turd racing 3.55's and a rebuild kit. set it up my self and it might have came to 350 bucks by the time i was done.

the oem true tracs are proven to take a beating so a stocker will get you by if you dont wanna or have the coin for an after market carrier.
I assume since you mentioned replacing clutches that you're talking about a stock Traction-Lok (aka T-Lok, TracLok, etc)? The Truetrac is a helical torque biasing diff (like Quaife and Torsen) - no clutches. While I know you can get a Truetrac through FRPP, I don't think Ford ever offered it as OE.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i trust it cuz i built it. im not talking about used bearings here either. i got a 8.8 rebuild kit (all bearings,races,seals etc for 75) gears i got for 80 new.

clutches 60, modifying the cover is as easy as using a grinder for 5 minutes. but i did switch over to a mac cover with bearing cap retainers. mod'n the cover is simple and if your not planning on running a cooler there is no need to even touch the rear mount ear.

i never just drop money on the first kit or part with a price. i take my time and wheel and deal to get what i need. all the work and every nut and bolt on anything i own is only touched by me. ive been a mechanic my whole life so my opinion on pricing my be a little bias..sorry
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I assume since you mentioned replacing clutches that you're talking about a stock Traction-Lok (aka T-Lok, TracLok, etc)? The Truetrac is a helical torque biasing diff (like Quaife and Torsen) - no clutches. While I know you can get a Truetrac through FRPP, I don't think Ford ever offered it as OE.
typo; yes oem "trac lok". found in most 31 spline set ups with posi.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

well i trust it cuz i built it. im not talking about used bearings here either. i got a 8.8 rebuild kit (all bearings,races,seals etc for 75) gears i got for 80 new.

clutches 60, modifying the cover is as easy as using a grinder for 5 minutes. but i did switch over to a mac cover with bearing cap retainers. mod'n the cover is simple and if your not planning on running a cooler there is no need to even touch the rear mount ear.

i never just drop money on the first kit or part with a price. i take my time and wheel and deal to get what i need. all the work and every nut and bolt on anything i own is only touched by me. ive been a mechanic my whole life so my opinion on pricing my be a little bias..sorry
Can you share where you got new ford racing gears for 80$ and a rebuild kit for 75$!?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gears I got from a speed shop locally that had a few sets on the shelf. Kit I got off eBay
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Gears I got from a speed shop locally that had a few sets on the shelf. Kit I got off eBay
Well you got a phenomenal deal on gears then, lowest I can find is 130$. And @ 75$ for a rebuild kit I bet you got the crap toyo bearings which was something I was not settling for. but that is still only a 25$ difference. Then for clutches you must have went with the old style and not the carbon fiber update? or where did you get them that cheap? So I guess if I revamped my list to be as cheap as possible it would look like this;

Housing FE: 50$
gears: 80$
rebuild: 75$
Side seals and bearings: 25$ I know you cant get them any cheaper!?
Clutches: (carbon fiber 120$)
Trac lok: 35$ (called local junk yard)
=385$!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol the 350 was just a figure man. i did use the carbon clutches and irs spiders. i got em for a 100 bucks at the same place as the gears. so now that i think about it maybe its
closer to 450.
i can see if the guys at the speed shop will sell what they have left for these prices if youd like.

this the kit i got when i did mine..yes i did buy the axle bearings and seals separately

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Star-Ford-8-8-Rebuild-Kit-For-Differential-/360829699773?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54032046bd&vxp=mtr
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres what she looked like when i was done just before install. i did have to machine the mating surfave of the MAC cover as it was much thicker that a stock cover and wouldnt fit in the cradle. once i plained about 3/8th off it fit like a glove
Attached Thumbnails What's an 8.8 T bird rear worth?-diff.jpg   What's an 8.8 T bird rear worth?-diff2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Here is my Price list:

Alum housing (no one wants FE):150$
Gears 3.73/3.55 ford racing: 150$
Rebuild kit: 100$
Side seals and bearings: 25$
Carbon fiber clutches: 125$
Ford *Trac Lok 31 spline: 50$

= 600$

Rear cover modified by CS: 150$
Setup charge: 300$
Solid spider gears machined to IRS spider gears: 50$

It all adds up quick. These numbers are all approx and I'm sure I could probably go lower if I waited and shopped around for ever. I have no idea how you can have a complete 8.8 differential (and trust it) for 350$!?

I would never use old bearings, would never use used gears etc and I'm still not paying for any powder coating etc etc. My hat goes off to you sir if you can do all that for 350$!
Can you share where you got new ford racing gears for 80$ and a rebuild kit for 75$!?
Well you got a phenomenal deal on gears then, lowest I can find is 130$. And @ 75$ for a rebuild kit I bet you got the crap toyo bearings which was something I was not settling for. but that is still only a 25$ difference. Then for clutches you must have went with the old style and not the carbon fiber update? or where did you get them that cheap? So I guess if I revamped my list to be as cheap as possible it would look like this;

Housing FE: 50$
gears: 80$
rebuild: 75$
Side seals and bearings: 25$ I know you cant get them any cheaper!?
Clutches: (carbon fiber 120$)
Trac lok: 35$ (called local junk yard)
=385$!
lol the 350 was just a figure man. i did use the carbon clutches and irs spiders. i got em for a 100 bucks at the same place as the gears. so now that i think about it maybe its
closer to 450.
i can see if the guys at the speed shop will sell what they have left for these prices if youd like.

this the kit i got when i did mine..yes i did buy the axle bearings and seals separately

New Star Ford 8 8" Rebuild Kit for Differential | eBay
an you guys go post all of this over in the DIY thread, unless it is already there?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8.8 ??

I have an 03 cobra irs in my Miata. I want to keep the aluminum housing and swap it out to 28 spline so I can use stock Factory 5 cobra kit axels which are the perfect length. Can I just swap out the spider gears or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by corndogs
I have an 03 cobra irs in my Miata. I want to keep the aluminum housing and swap it out to 28 spline so I can use stock Factory 5 cobra kit axels which are the perfect length. Can I just swap out the spider gears or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

Jeff
Wait, what? Is this going in a V? If so those axles I doubt will work. Also, no one wants 28 spline anything. As far as the gears go.. no, no need to swap if you have the 28 spline gears. If you have the 31 spline then yes, obviously you need new/different spider gears.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, what? Is this going in a V? If so those axles I doubt will work. Also, no one wants 28 spline anything. As far as the gears go.. no, no need to swap if you have the 28 spline gears. If you have the 31 spline then yes, obviously you need new/different spider gears.
I put in a LS6 into my miata with a 03 cobra diff. but I'm having a hard time making axles work. Factory 5 axles are the perfect length but the inner CV is 28 spline I tried putting the cobra 31 spline inners on the half shaft but different spline style. I still want the alum diff but just decided to go with a 28 spline diff. So I'm wanting to put in a 28 spline diff. if I do will I need 28 spline spider gears also.
Thanks for replays
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know how much stronger the iron case is as opposed to the aluminum case? If it is any stronger at all that is. I'll probably end up with whatever I can yank out of a junkyard for $100 or less and rebuild it.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a link to or can otherwise reference some hard data on the FE v. AL cases.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Hard evidence? No. But I doubt it is much stronger. And I wouldn't want the extra weight. Put it like this, I know of mustangs running 1000hp through the AL. All the proof I need.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just an FYI : you can not use 28 spline spiders in a 31 spline carrier. The center spring pin is thicker between the two. So you would need a 28 carrier and 28 spiders
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Just an FYI : you can not use 28 spline spiders in a 31 spline carrier. The center spring pin is thicker between the two. So you would need a 28 carrier and 28 spiders
Are you sure? I know the springs are different, but the carriers? If they are different then I have never found a 28 spline trac lok yet. I don't have much doubt, but when I ordered my clutches I had to specify that I needed the 31 spline spring.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hard evidence? No. But I doubt it is much stronger. And I wouldn't want the extra weight. Put it like this, I know of mustangs running 1000hp through the AL. All the proof I need.
Sounds good... Now I just need to pull some from the junkyards around here... Like that will happen before summer.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The pin holds not only the springs but also goes thru two of the spiders. The pin holds and centers it all. The pins are different sizes between the spline counts. But yes I'm sure... 100%
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Corndog; where are you located?

Quick Reply: What's an 8.8 T bird rear worth?