Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I have cured the wheel hop in my 2005 CTSV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the looks of these, but i think you need to have the revshift cradle bushings, or the Aluminum ones... otherwise i am afraid the subframe is going to be moving around still and will eventually fatigue the subframe connectors.

The design looks good though, I like the simplicity/low weight and ability to stiffen subframe attachment.

It would be interesting to see if a brace across the new front mounting holes makes any difference. (my bet it that it would not be large enough to actually notice, but as a part of an overall stiffening plan could add some stiffness that would be noticeable.

It might be interesting to bend the bars a little wider at the trailing arm mounting bolts so you could bolt a brace across those as well (see BMR's bar)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be interesting to see if a brace across the new front mounting holes makes any difference. (my bet it that it would not be large enough to actually notice, but as a part of an overall stiffening plan could add some stiffness that would be noticeable.

It might be interesting to bend the bars a little wider at the trailing arm mounting bolts so you could bolt a brace across those as well (see BMR's bar)
IMO bracing in both areas would be a good idea.

Love the connectors! Now that you have built them I don't need to (it was on my list).
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my car but this is a picture looking rear to front. Bolts to the cradle and then to the body. Same concept (keeping the cradle from rotating up) just executed a little differently.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StretchASU
So any chance you guys are going to make this as a full bolt on kit? Because not many people have the know how or capabilities to weld the re-inforcement plates you guys look to have made.
People have been putting subframe connectors on other cars for years, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that would be willing to weld these on. Shouldn't cost much, either, since it's only those front two reinforcing plates that need to be welded in.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Frankly, I think you could've gotten the same effect if you installed Revshift subframe bushings.
Have folks that have installed the Revshift subframe bushings been reporting that wheel hop is cured? I don't have any intention to get those bushings, so I haven't been paying attention to the threads.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
And, at this point, you don't have any of the advantages of having a subframe because you connected the subframe to the body.
Only partially. It's connected at the trailing arm mount, but the rear locations, where the main bushings are, aren't solidly anchored. There will still be some ability for the subframe to move around, but (apparently) not so much that it allows wheel hop.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Have folks that have installed the Revshift subframe bushings been reporting that wheel hop is cured? I don't have any intention to get those bushings, so I haven't been paying attention to the threads.
From what I have read they help quite a bit. I need to get around to getting mine installed so i can have a first hand experience. (granted i am looking for handling more than wheel hop reduction)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some have mounted cameras under the car that show the rear subframe squirming around a good bit on stock bushings. not only does it seem to address wheel hop, it seems to help handling as well.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

People have been putting subframe connectors on other cars for years, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that would be willing to weld these on. Shouldn't cost much, either, since it's only those front two reinforcing plates that need to be welded in.
Totally agree. Just a thought for the guy that wants a true bolt on application.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Wow, This looks like a killer solution. I'm surprised it took us all of 10 years to figure it out!

Even if it does require a little bit of welding, it would be totally worth it to take it to a shop to have done. It also wouldn't cost a bundle. The rest is just bolt-on.
lol, thanks! It only took us 2 years.....lol

I have welded 100% of my Bolt-in Subframe connectors that I have used over the years. 100% Bolt in is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I like the looks of these, but i think you need to have the revshift cradle bushings, or the Aluminum ones... otherwise i am afraid the subframe is going to be moving around still and will eventually fatigue the subframe connectors.

The design looks good though, I like the simplicity/low weight and ability to stiffen subframe attachment.

Thanks! They are bent as wide as possible without touching the frame so I could make trailing arms for my car.

I want lateral bracing and I will be making them for my car, but not right now.

Originally Posted by Sssnake
IMO bracing in both areas would be a good idea.

Love the connectors! Now that you have built them I don't need to (it was on my list).

Only partially. It's connected at the trailing arm mount, but the rear locations, where the main bushings are, aren't solidly anchored. There will still be some ability for the subframe to move around, but (apparently) not so much that it allows wheel hop.
The only full cure that we have found has been the 8.8 kit that we built for Blake's TT 05.......

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
From what I have read they help quite a bit. I need to get around to getting mine installed so i can have a first hand experience. (granted i am looking for handling more than wheel hop reduction)
Originally Posted by ls1247
some have mounted cameras under the car that show the rear subframe squirming around a good bit on stock bushings. not only does it seem to address wheel hop, it seems to help handling as well.
Yeah it moved around ALOT!!!!!! It was crazy, but I have not seen an after with RevShift mounts, but I bet they helped a ton.

Originally Posted by StretchASU
Totally agree. Just a thought for the guy that wants a true bolt on application.
I have seen first hand, some bolt on bracing and roll bars removed and the bolt holes are elongated.......weld it for superior strength where you can.........
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea its pretty shitty. I was shocked it moves as much as it does. I'm going to try bushings first to see how I'd does though.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No wonder its trying to tear itself in half!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Yea its pretty shitty. I was shocked it moves as much as it does. I'm going to try bushings first to see how I'd does though.

trailingarmsvideo - YouTube
That's the video. If I had the time and money, I would be getting the Blue bushings from RevShift for sure and a Video would be made to show the results.

I will see about getting some video of the bars in the next few weeks to compare as I KNOW my bushings are shot.....lol

Did some more testing yesterday and the rear feels alot more solid and less twitchy.....
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Interesting.. You have CAD models or drawings for these created yet?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea. Its really quite surprising to me as to how little hop there is with a subframe that is that bad. Honestly when I get some time I'm going to replace all the bushings and then build some subframe connectors to try out. They aren't hard to do. It's just some cut and welded boxed steel. I think I'd weld it entirely instead of bolting.

The list of sit to do to the V is getting quite long.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

54, were you able to get both subframes leveled to each other with messed up rubber bushings?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Wow, that video is something else. No wonder my car feels like it's trying to crawl up its own butt at WOT.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
Wow, that video is something else. No wonder my car feels like it's trying to crawl up its own butt at WOT.
When I took it, someone requested that I get the taking arms because that was supposed to be an issue... But it's like damn, doesn't matter what the arms do if they aren't connected to anything.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I will shoot a video from under my car probably tomorrow. I have the red revshift bushings installed. We can have a comparison, and it will give me the excuse to use my go pro
Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I look forward to seeing your video
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
It's just some cut and welded boxed steel. I think I'd weld it entirely instead of bolting.
just curious but if you welded them in completely would you still be able to remove the subframe? or maybe slide it back and out?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSsomethingorother

just curious but if you welded them in completely would you still be able to remove the subframe? or maybe slide it back and out?
You can remove welds... Grinders ftmfw haha. I just am leery of bolts possibly backing out. I don't want pieces of the car flying off when I get it all setup to run Fontana at 150+mph on a banked oval. Its kind of stressful on componentry. Plus I can't recall what the sheer strength on a grade 8 bolt is, but I know that a good tig filler is 70-80,000 psi. So they won't come apart as long as the person welding is semi competent.

Also the connectors would be the last thing I do after poly bushings and 8.8 so hopefully they wouldn't have to come out. To me subframe connectors are a drag car thing, but as much as my rear subframe was rocking around in the video, it might help keep the car going in the right direction.

Quick Reply: I have cured the wheel hop in my 2005 CTSV.