Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I have cured the wheel hop in my 2005 CTSV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grade 8 is 120ksi minimum plus your subframe is already held in bolts and they haven't fallen off yet, have they?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Grade 8 is 120ksi minimum plus your subframe is already held in bolts and they haven't fallen off yet, have they?
"the world is an imperfect place sir, bolts fall out all the time."
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the bolts. A little red loctite and a torque wrench should take care of that. Plus it's using existing bolts on a subframe that moves around quite a lot. If somebody makes several sets of these I would definitely be interested.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EdmundGTP
Interesting.. You have CAD models or drawings for these created yet?
I plan on it.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I will shoot a video from under my car probably tomorrow. I have the red revshift bushings installed. We can have a comparison, and it will give me the excuse to use my go pro
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I wouldn't worry about the bolts. A little red loctite and a torque wrench should take care of that. Plus it's using existing bolts on a subframe that moves around quite a lot. If somebody makes several sets of these I would definitely be interested.
Agreed!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you. But I intended to beat on the car when I get it all finished. To me it just seems like a safer bet really. It probably doesn't matter either way. But I know the welds will hold
Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
You can remove welds... Grinders ftmfw haha. I just am leery of bolts possibly backing out. I don't want pieces of the car flying off when I get it all setup to run Fontana at 150+mph on a banked oval. Its kind of stressful on componentry. Plus I can't recall what the sheer strength on a grade 8 bolt is, but I know that a good tig filler is 70-80,000 psi. So they won't come apart as long as the person welding is semi competent.

Also the connectors would be the last thing I do after poly bushings and 8.8 so hopefully they wouldn't have to come out. To me subframe connectors are a drag car thing, but as much as my rear subframe was rocking around in the video, it might help keep the car going in the right direction.
i understand, better to be safe then sorry haha

Originally Posted by BudRacing
+1 set here too!!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you. But I intended to beat on the car when I get it all finished. To me it just seems like a safer bet really. It probably doesn't matter either way. But I know the welds will hold
welds can fail too... a good bolted joint should have no issues, especially with loctite. If anything add a small tack weld to the bolt/nut head and it will definitely stay and be much easier to remove.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy

welds can fail too... a good bolted joint should have no issues, especially with loctite. If anything add a small tack weld to the bolt/nut head and it will definitely stay and be much easier to remove.
Bad ones can. Welds with voids, poor penetration, or wrong fillers can easily fail.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Bad ones can. Welds with voids, poor penetration, or wrong fillers can easily fail.
good welds fail too. the HAZ on any weld is the weak link and significantly weaker than base material or weld itself. Especially when the HAZ is thin metal.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Launching!

You guys better sell your V's and buy some roller blades before all the bolts and welds fail This is getting ridiculous lol...
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
Not always true.

I welded a backup plate on mine and then bolted it, for ease of removal and so the bolts would not pull through the floor. Bolting anything to our floor would result in it pulling through.

good welds fail too. the HAZ on any weld is the weak link and significantly weaker than base material or weld itself. Especially when the HAZ is thin metal.
True, again for the action I took above.

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
You guys better sell your V's and buy some roller blades before all the bolts and welds fail This is getting ridiculous lol...
Agreed! lol

Can we take this argument somewhere else? I really don't mind some spirited discussion......
Old 02-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 54inches
I plan on it.

Lemme know if you'll need any help with the modeling/drawing effort. I've been a Solidworks jockey for almost 14 years now..
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said... Good welds won't fail. If you overcook it then obviously its not a good weld. Hence why tig is so great. This is getting retarded. Got guys telling welders how their welds will fail. I have seen more bolts sheer on our farm equipment than welds failing. And we are talking at least grade 8s

Are you using bushings on the connectors at the front mounting location as well? My computer **** the bed last week and I have been on mobile until I go pick up another. I can't tell on the pics with my shittastic phone. I would assume not, but I want to see

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

No bushings; just hard mounted....
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
No bushings; just hard mounted....
Gotcha, thanks. The last set I worked with on my buddy's fox was the same. I didn't know if you were still trying for some measure of comfort. It is a Cadillac after all.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Absolutely, and these did not change the comfort level on my car.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

54, i havent forgotten about ya. had the blower off the car doing the swap. its back on so ill take some pictures of the strut brace clearance today.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you sir!!!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I look forward to seeing your video
Will have to be tomorrow. I have been sick as a dog all day. Praying to the porcelain god sort of speak.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Here ya go!

Crappy weather we're having here in Texas. It is snowy and icy today, so not the best traction. I tried to beat on it a little bit to give the fairest comparison. Can't get my gopro to record longer than 50-60 seconds, guess I need a new memory card. At any rate I finally got this video shot. In comparing the videos you can def tell the REVSHIFT bushings obviously help A LOT!

I love how you can hear my POS Monster stage 3 clutch Howl from it being cold. Also, managed to get some wheel hop in there. But I love watching the tires side wall flex! Losing traction and getting side ways in first and second a little bit and watching the tires is just fun! Enjoy

Quick Reply: I have cured the wheel hop in my 2005 CTSV.