Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got off the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's all in the tune, then what does the drivetrain have to do with it?

If it's true that the Goats pick up that power with the same mods, I'd like to see the differences in the ECU logic.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
If it's all in the tune, then what does the drivetrain have to do with it?

If it's true that the Goats pick up that power with the same mods, I'd like to see the differences in the ECU logic.
drivetrain loss is different
Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
drivetrain loss is different
Yes, but that's not the argument here. We're talking gains, not peak, in this case. The claim is +15 untuned with the same manifold on a GTO, +20 tuned.

Here, I'll just link it so people don't think I'm crazy: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...997&highlight=
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think punishment is confused for some reason. bmylez is talking about gains from porting the stock intake manifold, i believe. the LS2 intake is a turd, and no amount of polishing will change that.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DACTARI
the LS2 intake is a turd, and no amount of polishing will change that.
Money well spent! haha
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dynoed 377rwhp only mods is 1 3/4 kooks header, xpipe, magnaflow mufflers. Tuned by PatrickG.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by manitzchris
I dynoed 377rwhp only mods is 1 3/4 kooks header, xpipe, magnaflow mufflers. Tuned by PatrickG.
As we've mentioned countless times: *untuned*
Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Teching In

As we've mentioned countless times: *untuned*
In that case you should see an additional 20-30rwhp. I suggest getting tuned by patrick, his location is very isolated and relaxed. I brought my gun and right outside.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going to Aikman Performance in the Austin area. There's a local in Austin who is helping me do the cam, then I just have to drive a few miles to the shop.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Looks about right. Its untuned. If you want happy dyno numbers, find a happy dyno. I went to one of the heartbreakers around here.

I can see you upset if you dyno'd 320whp with those mods. LOL 320whp on ANY dyno would be too little.

Some dynos are tighter to make numbers on than others. You need a tune.
This is the spot I got tuned and dyno'd at.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Different cars have different stock tunes. For I made 360 intake and headers exhaust. With a tune 370. Ls6 v
my buddy with ls2 v that was originally sold in canada with headers intake and exhaust put 374. The same tuner tried to make more power only made 376. My buddy asked for a refund and had him put it back to stock. So you can see how the ecus can vary.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like we could all use that Canadian ECU, hah.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Its cheaper to . just have tuned.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the timing looking like from 5800 up? im not liking how your losing power past 6k
I blame the drop off on his unported ls2 intake.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but that's not the argument here. We're talking gains, not peak, in this case. The claim is +15 untuned with the same manifold on a GTO, +20 tuned.

Here, I'll just link it so people don't think I'm crazy: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...997&highlight=
thats exactly what it is..a "claim" thats like believing you gain 30hp from a k&n filter. point is your hurting your self by not tuning for the additional air. the computer will correct to a point then pull timing. each degree can = +/- 10-20hp depending on the set up and air conditions.

as far as gains on a gto>V..the gto has less of a drivetrain loss so if it saw a 15hp untuned increase. the V might see 5-10.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Launching!

I'm skipping the bolt-on tune and going straight for a cam (Torquer v2). I just wanted to dyno before I got the cam so I knew if something was wrong and also to see the delta. To add insult to injury, I brought my friend with me who has a 2013 5.0. With a canned tune, intake, resonator delete, and catback, he threw down 389...those motors just aren't fair.
Originally Posted by MN_V
Those engines are 420hp crank from the factory, plus his tune so that sounds right. I think your numbers sound decent pre-tune.
Nothing to add other than I'd say the dyno does read lower than most. FWIW, 5.0L Mustangs will run 370-390rwhp stock. With a tune, intake and exhaust work, they normally run 410-430rwhp.

Regardless, they're simply a yardstick to use for tuning and to make sure your mods are actually working.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
D.K
On The Tree

I followed the same train of logic when I first started modifying my '02 Mustang. I kept hearing stories about how LT headers would provide X amount of HP and pick up X amount at the track all while untuned. So I installed LT headers, and proceeded to gain jack **** at the track. But how could that be since companies were making solid claims, and other people showed increases without tuning? I finally gave in and got my car tuned...picked up .4 and 3-4 MPH consistently, just from a tune.
Do you want to know how much I gained HP wise? A whopping 8 HP! Why? Because peak dyno numbers mean jack ****. Dynos are tuning tools only.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats exactly what it is..a "claim" thats like believing you gain 30hp from a k&n filter.
The difference is, this is a member of the LS community, and from the chats I've had with him, he's a very stand-up guy who is perfectly willing to recommend another company if they have a better solution than he does. This whole gains from ported intake argument is over, though, as I am beginning to think he meant that if you are already tuned, you see gains from it, not on stock tune. Would make a lot more sense. So we can stop discussing it
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
Nothing to add other than I'd say the dyno does read lower than most. FWIW, 5.0L Mustangs will run 370-390rwhp stock. With a tune, intake and exhaust work, they normally run 410-430rwhp.

Regardless, they're simply a yardstick to use for tuning and to make sure your mods are actually working.
If thats the case...

LOL This dyno reads super low.
OP, just tune it and see where you're at. You're untuned.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I dont think alot of people realize how important a tune is and basically, A dyno is great for comparing when you do upgrades. if you dyno stock, then use the same dyno with upgrades and tune, you get to see how it improves or hinders your car. A friend of mine actually owns a mustang dyno and i spent alot of time hanging out there watching him tune peoples car. They get too focused on the #s and seem to think all upgrades are going to add #s like the box say and they will all add up. Have seen off the shelf tunes/programmers with put out lower #s with an name brand intake added even when the programmer having the ability to choose that specific intake as an option.

I also see people who love their cars, then put it on the dyno and put down low #s on the dyno and all of a sudden its not fast enough.

Tuning is HUGE!!!!! Your computer is preset from the factory and able to make adjustments based on stock equipment. The minute you change anything that affects the readings in your computer, even intake and exhaust, it doesnt hurt to get a tuned.

Before my cts-v that is currently stock, I had a turbo'd lexus is300 that put down 367whp 330wtq @ 13lbs. I plan to dyno the cts stock to get the base #s, then i will be installing the intake and catback i got and dyno and then tune it with just that. Hoping to get headers to do the same time but ill hopefully get some results this summer.
On a stock car and mustang dyno, my hope is that i will see 300whp to start, but time will tell, Its only a # and starting point.

Quick Reply: Just got off the dyno