Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got off the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cliffyh
I dont think alot of people realize how important a tune is and basically, A dyno is great for comparing when you do upgrades. if you dyno stock, then use the same dyno with upgrades and tune, you get to see how it improves or hinders your car. A friend of mine actually owns a mustang dyno and i spent alot of time hanging out there watching him tune peoples car. They get too focused on the #s and seem to think all upgrades are going to add #s like the box say and they will all add up. Have seen off the shelf tunes/programmers with put out lower #s with an name brand intake added even when the programmer having the ability to choose that specific intake as an option.

I also see people who love their cars, then put it on the dyno and put down low #s on the dyno and all of a sudden its not fast enough.

Tuning is HUGE!!!!! Your computer is preset from the factory and able to make adjustments based on stock equipment. The minute you change anything that affects the readings in your computer, even intake and exhaust, it doesnt hurt to get a tuned.

Before my cts-v that is currently stock, I had a turbo'd lexus is300 that put down 367whp 330wtq @ 13lbs. I plan to dyno the cts stock to get the base #s, then i will be installing the intake and catback i got and dyno and then tune it with just that. Hoping to get headers to do the same time but ill hopefully get some results this summer.
On a stock car and mustang dyno, my hope is that i will see 300whp to start, but time will tell, Its only a # and starting point.
Get the headers first.. Cat back later..stock cat back flows great and the headers will get you some power.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Get the headers first.. Cat back later..stock cat back flows great and the headers will get you some power.
Yea thats what i want to do. Got the Cat Back for a good price, B&B with x-pipe, Trying to find some used headers now, cant afford new right now.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

If funds are tight then pace setters will work. Don't let the mild steel turn u away. Ceramic coating em every couple years will keep em going for a long time to come.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I'm installing the cam on the 15th. I figure I should be at 400+whp (TSP Torquer v2, 232/234 .598, 114). Now the question is, do I order an LS7 clutch/flywheel, or do I let the stocker start slipping first? I figure I might order it no matter what, because I know I will need it eventually.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stocker is plenty strong for 400hp, it's the sportier feel of the LS7 combo that is the gain.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MN_V
stocker is plenty strong for 400hp, it's the sportier feel of the LS7 combo that is the gain.
I've looked around and seen people slipping at 400, is all. Yes, I've seen other people handle 450 on stock clutch, but it almost seems like luck of the draw. ~73k miles on the clutch now, no idea how the previous owner drove the car, but it did come with headers and intake, so he probably liked to rail on it sometimes.

Also, I'm getting significant vibrations from what I believe to be the stupid dual mass flywheel. With just a CS trans mount, I get very noticeable vibes when engaging the clutch just backing out of my garage, so it's not the driveshaft since it happens while not moving, basically.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before u try to go faster, take care of all the major mounts. Engine, diff trans cradle if u feel like addressing a little more. Changing out the clutch was one of my first mods as well as most and it is a huge improvement.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before u try to go faster, take care of all the major mounts. Engine, diff trans cradle if u feel like addressing a little more. Changing out the clutch was one of my first mods as well as most and it is a huge improvement.
One step ahead of you, boss. CS motor mounts going in tomorrow. I guess you missed that I already have a CS trans mount. Installed the CS diff mount and block right after I bought the car. Not interested in the cradle bushings because that looks like a horrible day. Plus, the '07s have slightly better bushings than '04/'05, yes? I was hoping to ****** up a set of subframe connectors to remedy that. I think I will see how the car does on stock clutch, but will plan on an upgrade as my definite next mod.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

CS motor mounts installed today. Hit a few snags that made it take quite a while longer than expected, but they're in and nothing is broken, which is all that matters. Also am picking up a used LS2 flywheel for $75 that I will have resurfaced when I get an LS7 clutch.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill have my ls7 clutch and flywheel for sale in about a week or so if you haven't found one by then.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill have my ls7 clutch and flywheel for sale in about a week or so if you haven't found one by then.
PM me details.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the engine listed in my sig and a stock LS7 clutch. Holds fine for me. Actually holds more than fine.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RADEoN
I have the engine listed in my sig and a stock LS7 clutch. Holds fine for me. Actually holds more than fine.
Yup, I will definitely be getting one within the next year, if not late spring/early summer, depending on how the stocker handles the cam.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good. Just don't go with a flywheel any lighter than the stock LS7 or you will have tuning problems.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Looks good. Just don't go with a flywheel any lighter than the stock LS7 or you will have tuning problems.
I have a used stocker sitting in my garage that I picked up from a member . I'll be getting it resurfaced at a good machine shop in the next couple weeks so that it's ready to go whenever my clutch gives up the ghost.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
I have a used stocker sitting in my garage that I picked up from a member . I'll be getting it resurfaced at a good machine shop in the next couple weeks so that it's ready to go whenever my clutch gives up the ghost.
I hope not a dual-mass boat-anchor...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now the question is, do I order an LS7 clutch/flywheel, or do I let the stocker start slipping first? I figure I might order it no matter what, because I know I will need it eventually.
Also am picking up a used LS2 flywheel for $75 that I will have resurfaced when I get an LS7 clutch.
Originally Posted by DACTARI
I hope not a dual-mass boat-anchor...
Nope.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm confused.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

About what. I said I bought a used LS2 flywheel, which is the same as an LS7 flywheel. 28lbs or so.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he assumed it was a cts-v ls2 flywheel.

Quick Reply: Just got off the dyno