Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CS vs. UMI motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
Revshift/cs have robbed me blind and I couldnt be happier with them
CS robbing people blind? I don't see it.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
CS robbing people blind? I don't see it.
Me neither....CS has been the best aftermarket supplier I've ever worked with and I've worked with a boat load of them.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
Me neither....CS has been the best aftermarket supplier I've ever worked with and I've worked with a boat load of them.
i took it as he meant he was happy to pay for all the great products. just adds up over all the damn crappy mounts in this car that need replacing. but i am grateful to any vendor stepping up making products for our V's.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
\

I had the CS but they are too bulky for 1 7/8 headers
Huh? I did the CS mounts and OBX headers at the same time and they weren't even close to interfering--heat shields and all.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V

Creative Steel mount on the left and Revshift mount on the right.[/URL]
Woot...

Wonder how revshift expects those to hold together for any real length of time under a decently powerful motor.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

I have the CS (Red) mounts with the trans mounts and love them! My car just went under the knife last week to get the stage 2 trans upgrade with diamond stage 2 Clutch/lightweight flywheel from Texas Drivetrain Performance and I should be picking her up tonight so Im interested to see how the whole package feels together! Im excited! haha
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigti99a
i took it as he meant he was happy to pay for all the great products. just adds up over all the damn crappy mounts in this car that need replacing. but i am grateful to any vendor stepping up making products for our V's.
His post is confusing because he says he's running UMI mounts...and yet he's happy with CS/Revshift even though "robbing you blind" doesn't have a positive connotation. But whatever.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Woot...

Wonder how revshift expects those to hold together for any real length of time under a decently powerful motor.
We rely on the strength of our polyurethane to hold the mount together. This is what makes each metal side isolated. We illustrate this on our website on the product page, the image is below. We also expect the mounts to hold together because they have proven already themselves over the span of the past five years. This is why we are comfortable offering a full lifetime warranty on all of our polyurethane parts. There have not been any of our CTS/CTS-V mounts that have ripped apart.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last I heard on here and the other forum is that a few had come apart, or more accurately, had the studs separate from the urethane causing the mount to spin. In and of itself, that doesn't seem like a big deal. But, as you introduce lateral load and tension of the motor trying to yank itself out of the mount, that can't be good... But that's just one man's opinion.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of that with the revshift mounts but it was a very common problem with the UUC mounts.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

I love all the poly mounts I have purchased... between the 8.8 and poly mounts cs wide TA cs toe rods shock mounts, rev shift cradle front upper and lower CA bushings, rear upper and lower CA bushings, cs trans mount and shifter bushing sets, ill say I have about 7k into it. On the flip side, I bought all of these products when they first came out... ive missed out on all package deals group buys etc... so there is price on it. I love my set and could not be happier with the way it turned out. To me cs has great customer service great products. They seem to improve on revshifts designs by adding zerks, and some hardware to better control movement. I ordered from revshift... got confirmation emails and had a longer process... car was down so wait time wasnt bad, so to each his own.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Not my video, and in the end I did buy Revshift for myself. I'm happy with them but I would have bought the UMI ones if they were out at the time.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98

Please provide some examples of this. I would hope this isnt just hearsay trying to start some type of battle between two sponsors who do a greta deal for this community.
I was going to post the exact video as above.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
To me cs has great customer service great products. They seem to improve on revshifts designs by adding zerks, and some hardware to better control movement.
To me this statement doesn't make much sense as I understand it... CS has been making bushings for our car for longer. So they aren't improving on anything revshift. They are building their own stuff. Unless you mean RS has been improving their stuff. Which they have been as well. I can respect that. But when they come in and say "we expect the polyurethane to hold it all together"... Its rather dissatisfying to me. But like I said... One man's opinion.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to post the exact video as above.
That's all i need to know, thank you. Can anyone elaborate on what that video shows specifically? Is the integrity of the polyurethane compromised? Any adverse affects with it installed?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98

That's all i need to know, thank you. Can anyone elaborate on what that video shows specifically? Is the integrity of the polyurethane compromised? Any adverse affects with it installed?
Seems to me that, if the mount and the urethane have come unattached, the torque from the motor and lateral load from cornering could pull the stud out of the urethane. The mount isn't connected in the middle at all. This might be fine in some cars that don't make a lot of torque. But with the ability for an LS engine to make mountains of power, just seems like something designed to fail. They should redesign the mounts to better account for that issue.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-14-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

They should redesign the mounts to better account for that issue.
Its not an issue. There have never been any Revshift CTS/CTS-V mounts that have pulled apart. The ends have never pulled out of the polyurethane. That one "failure" that is shown in the video is not a failure. The end is not coming out of the mount. The mounts are not intended to be twisted. The mounts do not twist while installed on the car. Not to mention that the mount in the video was used for thousands of miles before being twisted. Regardless of it not being an actual failure, we sent him new mounts. Also, the video in question is in fact of Brian/pisnuoff/07CTS-V who is a competing vendor on this forum operating under Creative Steel's vendor account. We sent him replacement mounts over a year ago. But yet, he just uploaded that video to youtube 2 weeks ago. Most people in this thread that are talking negatively about Revshift parts are affiliated with Creative Steel.

Last edited by Revshift; 05-14-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not affiliated with anyone. But mounts shouldn't do that. If you don't count it as a failure, then I don't know what to say... Denial perhaps??? I haven't ever seen mounts do that, even after a few thousand miles.

And as far as I know CS doesn't make Brian's shifters, Brian doesn't make CS stuff. Its funny because there are some people that do fine with small shops doing stuff in their spare time, repairing problems and stuff. Its called R-in-D. Everyone has to go through it.

I understand it sucks when a design isn't received well. But after a while failures might happen with a design like that. You are saying the polyurethane can withstand repeated beatings. Which, for a while it will, sure. I remember mounts of all kinds going bad on offroad trucks rather quick. Rubber, poly, delrin, seen them all disintegrate. They mounted cores for radiators, coolers, motors, trans cases. Vibration, heat, weight, all breaks stuff down. And motor mounts have to deal with all of that. Poly is much more durable but if you put a piece of metal in it, after a while, the metal will pull out. That stud transfers vibration and heat right through the mounts.

I'm not trying to ridicule or crucify you here. I'm just saying, you guys should probably rethink the design on these.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-14-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Banned

I'm just saying, you guys should probably rethink the design on these.
Why? There have been zero ends that have pulled out of the mount in the past 5 years. So, why should we redesign our mounts that are proven to work? Because the inside doesn't have as much stuff as our competitor? We do not want a bunch of stuff inside our mount. It is a polyurethane mount that is meant to dampen vibration while keeping the engine secure. The mounts have already been proven to keep the engine secure. By adding a bunch of extra metal inside we would be reducing the flexible area of the mount and it would result in a mount that does not dampen the vibration as well as it should. If twisting is a concern then we could easily weld a little piece on each end which prevents it from spinning. But the end spinning is not a concern unless the mount is removed from the car and twisted by hand (like in that video). We are a believer in "K.I.S.S." (keep it simple, stupid) when designing parts. The more complicated a design, the more there is to go wrong. I don't know how else to say that our mounts do not fail. I could post up a ton of pictures of our competitor's catastrophic mount failures but I am not on the offensive here. I do not agree with the fact that some other vendors want to put others out of business rather than concentrate on producing quality parts. We would rather concentrate on producing our quality parts that work perfectly and that we stand behind. Our mounts may not be grossly over-engineered like the others but they work great. We warranty our mounts for life. Free replacements if ANYTHING damages them. We are primarily a polyurethane company, we use the best polyurethane formulations that are available. The amount of polyurethane that we use in one CTS-V motor mount can hold 12,000 lbs before tearing. We are preparing to lift an entire car off the ground with one single CTS-V motor mount to show how strong they actually are. If we can manage to arrange this I will post pictures.

Last edited by Revshift; 05-15-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you Google it there are 3 accounts if failure on the first page... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=revshift+motor+mount+failure

It's not just me or a few people here on Cadillacs. Its happened a few times. I will grant you however, that most of the failures were associated with track usage.

I'm about to go to sleep, busy day at work tomorrow for me. I found these three links of failures on a simple Google search. I'm not expecting the first round of these to be bullet proof. A lot of companies have to modify stuff after they send a product to the field. But making something that breaks and then not repairing the design is not ideal. There have been failures on other car.

Like I said, I'm not affiliated with anyone or anything in these forums. I'm just wondering why you guys keep putting these out, sure there aren't a lot of failures. But with what I've seen on other forums. I wouldn't run these motor mounts. Your other stuff seems to be just fine, and I might order some subframe bushings for the rear. But just not these.

I would like to see the picture of you lifting a whole CTS-V from one mount. I doubt you'll find a volunteer. Not only because I would trust that bushing, but the frame might twist.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2057748

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...60-Motor-Mount

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/arch...?t-194263.html

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-15-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: CS vs. UMI motor mounts