Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CS vs. UMI motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CS vs. UMI motor mounts

on a daily driver V1, would you recommend i keep my CS (red) motor mounts versus selling and buying UMI? the mounts in my car right now are currently good, but i'd like to replace them at some point with something "nicer".

i like the UMI's "set it and forget it" feel, even though i should technically never destroy the CS mount, either...

thoughts?

edit: CS mounts are still brand new in the box. got them with the car and i'm still on ~20k old stock motor mounts.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the UMIs because all in all the reviews have been ok although i expect a little more vibration through them. Haven't installed them yet so I can't give you feedback but just by looking at the design, they seem to be a permanent, rebuildable (but more expensive) alternative to the others which seem to be nothing more than huge globs of urethane with a couple of bolts stuck in them.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For a daily driver I'd keep the CS mounts. I have the UMI mounts (and they vibrate quite a bit more) but I bought them and installed them with the intention of a lot of track duty. Not to say that CS's mounts wouldnt hang, I'm sure they would. Either way both are made in America!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

maybe i'm better off installing these CS mounts for now, then down the line when i try turn the car into a weekend warrior "upgrade" to some UMI mounts.

realistically i'll just be daily driving the car with no performance upgrades for a few years until i can get settled in a new house and pick up something else to drive to work everyday. i also don't track any of my cars. they're just show and go objects to me.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the UMI mounts and I love them. Yes there is a little bit of vibration but nothing I cant live with even on long trips. Barely notice it for the most part. Feels more crisp on the throttle. I never tried CS mounts. I went from old stockers to UMI. My son works there (UMI) and I can say they have a great product on everything they make and as said before all made in the USA.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldn't think that any set of mounts i'd go with would be teeth rattling in any sense of the term unless something else on the car wasn't in working order, but if it's going to be a bother while i sit at stoplights i'd like to avoid that, too.

i do a mix of city/highway driving and i sit in rush hour traffic on the highway on a daily basis during the week so i don't really want to go numb because i decided it was a good idea to put an indestructible set of mounts in the car instead of frequently (or not so frequently) changing blown mounts. the stock are a bit mushy and i'd love to alleviate some of that slop.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

People say the UMI add vibration, that's relative. The whole car vibrates and rattles, the UMI didn't do much to add to it. Really, you wont really notice at all, not sure why some people seem to think you will.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

I'm waiting to install my UMIs until after I get rid of the dual mass flywheel...can't image how bad the vibrations would be with that combo!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1247
I'm waiting to install my UMIs until after I get rid of the dual mass flywheel...can't image how bad the vibrations would be with that combo!
That might be why some of these guys say the UMI's vibrate a lot, that fw would def transmit hell to the car with those mounts. I did it all at once like you. Honestly the V1 itsnt very refined, there are lots of rattles and if you have anything but stock pipes the exhaust is a factor too. I don't mind it shaking and rattling....
Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

I bought the UMIs because all in all the reviews have been ok although i expect a little more vibration through them. Haven't installed them yet so I can't give you feedback but just by looking at the design, they seem to be a permanent, rebuildable (but more expensive) alternative to the others which seem to be nothing more than huge globs of urethane with a couple of bolts stuck in them.
This is a frustrating post to read. My hands are tied. If I tell you that there is A LOT more to our mounts than a couple of bolts poking out of a glob of urethane, then post the X-Ray proof that I have to validate the claim, I will be contributing to a "pissing contest."
Posts like this have seemingly innocent intent, but undocumented claims like this do nothing but kick the bee hive.
There was no exchange of information either, just some "I think______"

Originally Posted by Bio248
maybe i'm better off installing these CS mounts for now, then down the line when i try turn the car into a weekend warrior "upgrade" to some UMI mounts.

Like I said in my PM. For a DD, I would recommend our Black Mounts. The reds are Stiff, and I mean Stiff. They are designed for cars that will see mostly track time with a total disregard for Monday-Friday comfort.

realistically i'll just be daily driving the car with no performance upgrades for a few years until i can get settled in a new house and pick up something else to drive to work everyday. i also don't track any of my cars. they're just show and go objects to me.
This ^^^ has Black Mounts written all over it.

i wouldn't think that any set of mounts i'd go with would be teeth rattling in any sense of the term unless something else on the car wasn't in working order, but if it's going to be a bother while i sit at stoplights i'd like to avoid that, too.

i do a mix of city/highway driving and i sit in rush hour traffic on the highway on a daily basis during the week so i don't really want to go numb because i decided it was a good idea to put an indestructible set of mounts in the car instead of frequently (or not so frequently) changing blown mounts. the stock are a bit mushy and i'd love to alleviate some of that slop.
You won't be changing out black mounts. Take my offer. You pay shipping both ways, I will exchange those red mounts for black free of charge
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
You won't be changing out black mounts. Take my offer. You pay shipping both ways, I will exchange those red mounts for black free of charge
i've seen the x-ray pictures. they fairly well speak for themselves as far as the quality that goes into it.

i am thinking i'm going to be taking you up on the mount swap, i'll move it into the PM discussion we're having already. thanks for going out of your way and getting into the mix of this.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the car with UMI mounts, so I cant tell you how much better than stock they are, but i must say, i recently installed ls7 clutch/flywheel to get rid of the dual mass fw. The vibrations I get are nothing to complain about, you really dont notice unless you sit there and pay attention specifically to the vibration.

Ive heard a lot of good things about CS mounts also. IIRC, i heard of someone's mount failing, but i believe CS replaced it free of charge. This was a while back though.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
This is a frustrating post to read. My hands are tied. If I tell you that there is A LOT more to our mounts than a couple of bolts poking out of a glob of urethane, then post the X-Ray proof that I have to validate the claim, I will be contributing to a "pissing contest."
Posts like this have seemingly innocent intent, but undocumented claims like this do nothing but kick the bee hive.
There was no exchange of information either, just some "I think______"

My apologies, the UMIs look more substantial but for twice the price, they should. I'm sure your latest design works fine and the many positive post on here confirm that.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I have creative steel black mounts and yes there is some vibrations... But it's a 400hp V8 who cares?

And the stock mounts which were complete junk vibrated way more (the whole car would shake side to side on shutdown)

The improvement over stock will blow you away whatever you do... But I give the. Creative steel two thumbs up!!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

i've seen the x-ray pictures. they fairly well speak for themselves as far as the quality that goes into it.

i am thinking i'm going to be taking you up on the mount swap, i'll move it into the PM discussion we're having already. thanks for going out of your way and getting into the mix of this.
You are more than welcome, just don't want you to hate your car (or me) after the install.

Originally Posted by RecklessV
I bought the car with UMI mounts, so I cant tell you how much better than stock they are, but i must say, i recently installed ls7 clutch/flywheel to get rid of the dual mass fw. The vibrations I get are nothing to complain about, you really dont notice unless you sit there and pay attention specifically to the vibration.

Ive heard a lot of good things about CS mounts also. IIRC, i heard of someone's mount failing, but i believe CS replaced it free of charge. This was a while back though.
The man has UMI mounts and still has good things to say about us. A true gentleman.

My apologies, the UMIs look more substantial but for twice the price, they should. I'm sure your latest design works fine and the many positive post on here confirm that.

All is good. I can see how our mounts and another vendors mounts look like a couple of bolts sticking out of a lump of polyurethane. There is so much more to our mounts than that. Even the rep at IMR Test Labs (imrtest.com) gave us a "good job, nice design" when we had the X-Rays of "ours" and "theirs" performed.

Originally Posted by Heavybody
I have creative steel black mounts and yes there is some vibrations... But it's a 400hp V8 who cares?

And the stock mounts which were complete junk vibrated way more (the whole car would shake side to side on shutdown)

The improvement over stock will blow you away whatever you do... But I give the. Creative steel two thumbs up!!
Thanks for posting Heavybody. A lot of our customers aren't the "post on the forum" kind of people. They are the come learn about the parts that they are interested in, buy those parts then go back to their life kind of people. While that is great (I do the same thing on other topics), it makes it hard for a small company to get recognition for good parts and service.

Thanks again,
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the cs mounts in my car and they are holding up just fine to 900whp
Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

I'm running UMI mounts in mine with the stock dual mass flywheel. There is vibrations, but only in the 2000-2400 rpm range. I don't notice it much when cruising or idling, none of my passengers have said anything either. I think getting rid of the stock junk flywheel will help tremendously though.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

UMI mounts here... love them... no issues with rubbing headers as some have had, theres a hint of vibration, and thats with poly trans full 8.8 swap... monster clutch with 18lb flywheel And mild cam. All mounts that can swapped to poly are done too. Revshift/cs have robbed me blind and I couldnt be happier with them
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Creative Steel mount on the left and Revshift mount on the right.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh wow, and i was just about to say how good the revshift are...

I will keep quiet,

I had the CS but they are too bulky for 1 7/8 headers

Quick Reply: CS vs. UMI motor mounts