Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CS vs. UMI motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
If you Google it there are 3 accounts if failure on the first page... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=revshift+motor+mount+failure
Below is the picture you are referring to. They are mounts for a BMW that were made in 2008. They failed because we had a design similar to Creative Steel's interlocking design. What happened is the welds cracked from long term exposure to vibration and stress. The welds broke and the end came off. You can see the broken welds. This single case is what made us redesign our mounts to the current design. And as I said before, we now have zero ends coming out of the mount. In fact, those exact mounts were made before Revshift was even Revshift.

Last edited by Revshift; 05-15-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the posts I linked are 2010 and later. So your 2008 revision didn't help much.

By the way... Proper welding can support over 100,000 psi of force. Regardless of vibration. I doubt you use 4340 in these mounts (no one probably uses that grade of steel in motor mounts), but I've seen it (4340) take some naaaasty hits and not give an inch at the welds. I've seen 4340 bend before a weld cracks. More mild steels are in the range of 50,000psi. So either the weld was not good... Or the weld was not good.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-15-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Revshift
Its not an issue. There have never been any Revshift CTS/CTS-V mounts that have pulled apart. The ends have never pulled out of the polyurethane. That one "failure" that is shown in the video is not a failure. The end is not coming out of the mount. The mounts are not intended to be twisted. The mounts do not twist while installed on the car. Not to mention that the mount in the video was used for thousands of miles before being twisted. Regardless of it not being an actual failure, we sent him new mounts. Also, the video in question is in fact of Brian/pisnuoff/07CTS-V who is a competing vendor on this forum operating under Creative Steel's vendor account. We sent him replacement mounts over a year ago. But yet, he just uploaded that video to youtube 2 weeks ago. Most people in this thread that are talking negatively about Revshift parts are affiliated with Creative Steel.
Those are in fact my mounts. They were installed for 3 weeks and have about 150 miles on them. Great care was taken to align the upper and lower mounts prior to installation. The mounts lined up perfectly when they were set into the cradle. They were removed along with the motor 3 weeks later and both the driver side and passenger side mounts rotated. Any claims of misalignment or wrenching on them in a vice after removal would be completely false.

One cannot assume that the mounts would completely fail and come apart. On that same token, one cannot assume they would not have. Revshift was kind enough to warranty the mounts and sent me a new set 4 months later.

For the record, I have not made ANY negative statements towards any vendor on this site. I simply stated facts about my personal vehicle and shared a photo of the construction of two motor mounts. I refuse to let you pull me in to any long term argument between you two vendors.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had UMI mounts in my car and thought they were great. the car actually feels LESS rumbley, because the lope is distributed throughout the body and frame, vs the engine popping around in the engine bay. when we were tuning it, though, we suspected there may be some false knock going on due to how stiff they are. so there's that to think about....

Quick Reply: CS vs. UMI motor mounts