Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Official Cadillac Response to Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it's pretty common in dealerships. driven is one thing, abused is another. sucks you have to do that though, i.e. watch it come off the truck. guess that's what happens when people who have no respect for things that aren't theirs get ahold of them. funny thing is that the person who posted above could end up like that idiot who took the '03 cobra out for a test run when it was in for service and posted about it. kharma is a bitch
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls6caddy
Joined up just to reply to this post.

I assume you work at a dealership. You have apparently driven 3 brand new cars (not yours) hard enough to experience the wheel hop. I will be sure not to recommend your dealership for new car sales or service.
Would you rather it break with us, or when you have the car, leaving you stranded? Part of a PDI is making sure the vehicle operates as it should, in all aspects, just for that fact. How high do you think a customers' satisfaction is if their brand new vehicle with 1000 miles on it throws a rod the first time they WOT it after engine break-in? They aren't going to be too happy. If I break it before it gets to them, a small delay looks a lot better to them than a seriously damaged vehicle that leaves them stuck somewhere they didn't expect to be.

Next time, don't assume that I abuse peoples' vehicles, because in fact, I do not. If the repair order states "engine spark knock at wide open throttle", I will drive the vehicle to duplicate the concern. If it has tire noise or something that doesn't require a full throttle run, I'm not going to abuse their vehicle. I wouldn't want that done to mine, thus, I shall not do it to theirs. Not every dealership technician is as bad as you all think

Last edited by 02Hawk502; 06-09-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Note to self: Never tell service advisor that anything is wrong at WOT...

Oh for the record, I would rather throw the rod after the car is broken in under my driving... I would be upset, but less upset than if I found out my car was manhandled by a tech or worse, a porter had crashed my car:

See:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/143825-what-happens-when-inexperience-power-mix.html

Reed
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw one of these new IRS Caddies up on the
rack and the mount for the control arm had
been flexing enough under some hard driving
that it was hammering a little divot into the
frame. It sure looked like the stamped mount
was undersized and wanted to be attached
to the vehicle frame, not the (subframe?).
Can't see a stamping being bent back and
forth forever, without something bad coming
of it. Seems like an aftermarket "thingy brace"
opportunity to me.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like an aftermarket "thingy brace"
JB,

You sound like me only smarter.

CTS-Vision

***scene opens in garage. Shiney raven black CTS-V full frame. Frame opens to show CVP as he slowly drops to knees and stares pathetically into the night sky.

CVP whispers - "God, please send someone to solve the wheel hop issue. I know I don't deserve a miracle, but......"

Pauses for a moment as the tears well up in his eyes.

CVP screams - "God, it's a good car, it really needs you right now, you've got to save this car!"

Camera pulls away as CVP slumps into the night as the rain begins to fall.

Close scene. ***
Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Hawk502
Would you rather it break with us, or when you have the car, leaving you stranded? Part of a PDI is making sure the vehicle operates as it should, in all aspects, just for that fact. How high do you think a customers' satisfaction is if their brand new vehicle with 1000 miles on it throws a rod the first time they WOT it after engine break-in? They aren't going to be too happy. If I break it before it gets to them, a small delay looks a lot better to them than a seriously damaged vehicle that leaves them stuck somewhere they didn't expect to be.

Next time, don't assume that I abuse peoples' vehicles, because in fact, I do not. If the repair order states "engine spark knock at wide open throttle", I will drive the vehicle to duplicate the concern. If it has tire noise or something that doesn't require a full throttle run, I'm not going to abuse their vehicle. I wouldn't want that done to mine, thus, I shall not do it to theirs. Not every dealership technician is as bad as you all think
How about when the car throws a rod when I go full throttle after the first 1000 miles because the idiot who PDI'd the car went WOT BEFORE the break in? I'm gonna be even more pissed off. My dad just paid $1000 more for his CTS-V last night compared to another one. What's the difference, one had 174 miles, and the other had 44 miles. THAT WAS IT. But that's 130 mile less chance that idiots like you beat on the car.

Sure if a customer comes in complaining of something at WOT, be my guess, it's your job. But when a new car comes in there is NO reason to do that.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28kid98
How about when the car throws a rod when I go full throttle after the first 1000 miles because the idiot who PDI'd the car went WOT BEFORE the break in? I'm gonna be even more pissed off. My dad just paid $1000 more for his CTS-V last night compared to another one. What's the difference, one had 174 miles, and the other had 44 miles. THAT WAS IT. But that's 130 mile less chance that idiots like you beat on the car.

Sure if a customer comes in complaining of something at WOT, be my guess, it's your job. But when a new car comes in there is NO reason to do that.
twice i took an 04 V my dealer used as a demo for a test drive, and twice (multiple times each ride) I went WOT with it
all i could think was "glad i'm not buying this one" hehe
she had about 250 miles on it
Old 06-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Teching In

All I am saying is that you are driving brand new cars that are not yours hard enough to experience wheel hop. There is no reason for you to drive a car that hard during the break-in period. If you do, then when I drive the car 50,000 miles later something will break because your punk-*** did not respect the break-in period. And then I am out $$ to pay for it when I take it back to young kids like you to fix it and repeat the process all over again.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

UPDATE -- My car is back....Cadillac warrantied it. Guess they really had to after I brought up the "burnout" video on the website with no "Professional Driver--Closed Course--Do Not Attmept" disclaimer. I said, "Hey, Caddy is pushing this car as a "performance" car, even has John Heinricy, Head of GM Performance Car Division and well-known racer himself taunting the attributes of the car in the video. Sounds to me like they need to fix this wheel hop issue." Cadillace district rep's comment to dealer, "Order the parts, fix the car." That was it!! How about that for passing the buck. At least I have my beloved V back.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

wah wah wah wah
Old 07-16-2004, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Default 2005 CTS V improvements

I'm thinking about ordering a 2005 V. I am wondering if anyone has heard if a correction has been made to the wheel hop problem. Also any comments on the suspension upgrade option or the exhaust option that anyone has would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Launching!

I have almost 2000 miles on my '05 V -- there are no fixes in the '05 model to address it compared to an '04.

1. My V has only wheel-hopped a grand total of two revolutions of the tires when I was trying a 2,500 rpm abrupt launch on two separate occassions. If you leave traction control on, it will never wheel hop.

2. The FG2 shocks do not cure the wheelhop.

3. My V rides very firm (remember the '84 Vettes with the Z51(?) suspension?) with the FG2 package, but the handling is sublime.

4. We've got a group purchase going at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=16806 for the BMR anti-hop kit - 15% off through the end of July! My kit should be here next week and I can report on the pros/cons of the kit then.

5. The Corsa exhaust option has still not been released.

Last edited by StealthV; 07-16-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:22 PM
DCF
Teching In

I installed the BMR anti-hop kit on Saturday. It took a little more than an hour to install(mostly because I was cautious removing the rear cradle bolts). With the kit installed, the whole rear end feels tighter with only a slight increase in road noise and as Frank at BMR indicated, you can't hear it with the radio on even at the lowest volume. As to the wheel hop, I haven't done any hard launches yet (I am not in the habit of doing burnouts) however it has eliminated the wheel hop I was getting grabbing second gear. I am not sure the kit eliminates all wheel hop in all situations but it does seem to make a significant improvement without much sacrifice.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Teching In

What I have to say may be useless...

I am not familiar with the rear suspension setup on these CTS-V's, so I don't know what sort of springs they use, or if the spring is hollow (nothing inside or a coil-over type with a shock inside the spring.

However, IF you guys have the type of coil springs that have nothing inside the coils, then you can try a simple airbag setup from summit or jegs, which costs about 55 dollars. When you install them, use a seperate air feed line for each bag, so that you can run different pressures in each bag, then experiment with them. a good starting point is to run 3 ounds in the right bag for every 1 pound in the left bag.

Even if you have the coil springs that have a shock inside, you can still get air bag, but they will not be the cheap kind that just fit inside the spring, and you will likely need to do some custom fabrication to run them. BUT... air bags make for nice traction control devices because they are so adjustable. Plus of course, on those days when you are called on to use it as a passenger car with full seats and a full trunk, you can put 15lbs in the bags and make up for the weight.

I apologize for wasting your time if the rear suspension on these cars is unsuitable for this solution.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Launching!

The area inside the springs is indeed open and the air bag idea was tried months ago with no success in eliminating the wheel hop. The V's shock absorbers are self-leveling so the benefit of adjusting the ride height with the bags due to loads isn't a benefit either.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthV
2. The FG2 shocks do not cure the wheelhop.

5. The Corsa exhaust option has still not been released.

We are testing a set of GM shocks, both front and rear in our T2 cars. Still haven't finalized the jounce and rebound curves yet. The rear shocks are not the self leveling type as in the production rear shocks.

I've installed the Corsa system. It does fit pretty good with no clearence issues. Stock exhaust system stands about 10 feet tall leaning up against the wall!! All one piece. We've also installed a custom fabbed 3" system. Really tight around the diff area, but worth some horses over the 2 1/2" system on the dyno.

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls6caddy
Joined up just to reply to this post.

I assume you work at a dealership. You have apparently driven 3 brand new cars (not yours) hard enough to experience the wheel hop. I will be sure not to recommend your dealership for new car sales or service.

you do realize right that each and every vehicle as it leaves the assembly plant is tested? And tested at WOT too.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Another observation for what it's worth.... Mustang Cobra's since 1999 have had major wheel hop issues. Their remedies were better shocks, better control arm and center section bushings, and more bracing on the center section. Each of these help with the problem but they do not cure wheel hop. The only absolute cure for wheel hop is traction. Get out your sticky tires.

Quick Reply: Official Cadillac Response to Wheel Hop