Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HELP! Clutch pedal hard as a rock

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Clutch pedal hard as a rock

Hey guys. In a real jam here. I have a v1 that I just replaced the trans on. In doing that I also installed an ls7 clutch kit and ls7 slave. I get in the car to start bleeding the clutch last night and my clutch pedal is hard as a rock. Won't budge what so ever. I checked and make sure my quick release was all the way in and connected properly, cracked the bleeder also. Nothing. I even pulled the line out and pushed the check valve open with a screw driver. The pedal finally went down. Pumped it a few times like that but as soon as I plug it back on I've got nothing. Right back to being stuff. ANY advice is greatly appreciated, I'm scrambling to get the car back on the road tonight because I leave to go back to school Thursday. Thanks in advance!
-Mac
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/559841-help-needed-ls7-clutch-install-rock.html
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You must not be getting the quick connect fully seated... Because if it were and your pedal would move...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/559841-help-needed-ls7-clutch-install-rock.html
This thread is a little incomplete. Fuzzylogic felt slighted somehow and deleted what was useful info because of....who knows why.

He had suggested that there's is a valve of some sort in the clutch hydraulic line that could have been compromised during the install. Never seen the valve myself so i can't help you further.

Good luck
Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
You must not be getting the quick connect fully seated... Because if it were and your pedal would move...
This. Is the only thing it could be.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
If I wasn't getting it fully seated the retaining clip wouldn't slide right in as it does. I connected and disconnected it multiple times last night to be absolutely sure with no results. It's in as far as it can possibly go
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1247
I read through that last night as well. In the beginning it sounds like the same problem but then it turns out he is actually getting movement from the pedal. Mine won't budge :/
Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless there is a line kinked after the QD. If you can move fluid with the check valve pushed in then the issue is with the slave. Possibly the connection itself has a problem or there is something stuck in it.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Here are your options:

1. Youre not actually getting the quick connecter seated all the way even though the wire clip goes into place.
2. the quick connect on the slave line is broken or incorrect, causing it not to push the ball valve on the quick connect line. (same as if it wasnt seated)
3. You have pinched the hard line between the bellhousing and engine or have kinked it completely shut.
4. Your slave cylinder is bad and somehow completely blocked internally including the bleeder passage. (so unlikely I didnt even want to add it as an option)
5. You installed something wrong to where the slave cannot push the PP. (ruled out by opening the bleeder)

The number one reason people experience solid pedal is improper connection at the quick connect....

edit: just realized something you said "the retaining clip wouldnt slide right in as it does" Uhm.. you need to have the retaining clip slid into place BEFORE connecting the two hoses together... then when you push them together youll get a solid docking sound and click as the retained pops into place.. its possible to assemble the two ends and slide the clip into place with it being in the wrong spot.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Voodoo seems to be on the correct track, QD or quite possible you pinched the line in between tranny and bellhousing.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

^^ Agreed with above. Only thing that keeps the peddle that hard is the quick connect not being fully seated, even though it may appear to be, or like they also said, you kinked the hard line.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replays guys. I'm going to try pushing the quick connect in after the clip is in and see if that solves it. Fingers crossed. But I know that it's not pinched or kinked in the trans. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Take the quick connect coupling off your old slave, and replace the new slave coupling with it. There is a small clip on the bottom of the quick connect, similar to the big one on the top, just pull it out and you can take it off. Be carefull there is a spring and a plunger in there, you don't want to lose.
I bought a monster clutch and had the same problem with the Slave they sent me. For some reason it wouldn't seat properly and would do the exact same thing.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Take the quick connect coupling off your old slave, and replace the new slave coupling with it. There is a small clip on the bottom of the quick connect, similar to the big one on the top, just pull it out and you can take it off. Be carefull there is a spring and a plunger in there, you don't want to lose.
I bought a monster clutch and had the same problem with the Slave they sent me. For some reason it wouldn't seat properly and would do the exact same thing.
That was my issue. Didn't figure it out untill I pressed too hard on pedal like a dumba** and wrecked the slave. Pulled the whole car apart put the old clutch and flywheel and slave back in it. On my way to get tuned now. Going to see if I can get the ls7 slave replaced then do it all over again.. I'll try and post pics of the quick connector because there's absolutely nothing in the ls7 one to open the check valve like there is in the stock one. Thanks again for all the help fellas!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

thats weird.. maybe a defective slave quick connect end?.. because normally it should connect and operate fine. I've done it and so have many others.

Quick Reply: HELP! Clutch pedal hard as a rock