Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Alt charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alt charging problem

So my alt is not charging. Took it off & had it tested @ the local parts store, It checked out good so i had them check it again to make sure & it checked out good again. I put it bk on the car & it still was not working. After lookin on the Internet i found out that the orange wire that plugs into the alt should have 12 V on it, it didn't. I made a jumper wire to the batt & it started charging. Can anyone help me out with a wiring diagram of where this wire gets its voltage from & is it a fusable link?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, follow the positive battery lead down to the starter, and coming off the starter I believe there is a fusible link between the starter and alternator.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wires coming off the alternator are prone to issues. Kind of a tight fit and its my opinion that bad motor mounts will allow the motor to move enough to pull on the wiring there.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Yes, follow the positive battery lead down to the starter, and coming off the starter I believe there is a fusible link between the starter and alternator.
Ok i will check that. Just to make sure that we are talking about the same wire, I am referring to the plastic plug with the two wires that plugs into the alt not the main wire that attaches to the wire lug on the back of the alt.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Coonass-V
Ok i will check that. Just to make sure that we are talking about the same wire, I am referring to the plastic plug with the two wires that plugs into the alt not the main wire that attaches to the wire lug on the back of the alt.
Yes, right there at that plug-in connector is where the problem is from what I've read.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coonass-V
No, I'm referring to the high current wire running from the starter to the alternator which I believe has an in line fusible link.

You are probably referring to the connector referenced here.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
No, I'm referring to the high current wire running from the starter to the alternator which I believe has an in line fusible link.

You are probably referring to the connector referenced here.
Does the v1 even have a fusible link, can't say as I saw one.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS2 V1 does have a fusible link behind the driver's side exhaust manifold. You should check this wire and the wires in the connector. Pin B - orange wire is the "turn on" and C - gray wire is the "duty cycle". Pin B should be high 12V or more and PIN C is a varying voltage. I believe this is common on the LS1 and LS2 but know it is correct for the LS2 (rewired the alt this weekend - Big Three).
Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sssnake
The LS2 V1 does have a fusible link behind the driver's side exhaust manifold. You should check this wire and the wires in the connector. Pin B - orange wire is the "turn on" and C - gray wire is the "duty cycle". Pin B should be high 12V or more and PIN C is a varying voltage. I believe this is common on the LS1 and LS2 but know it is correct for the LS2 (rewired the alt this weekend - Big Three).

Yes that is correct. Pin-B Should have 12V But it doesn't. I need to figure out where the orange wire gets its power from?

Quick Reply: Alt charging problem