Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Blocked gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocked gears?

Recently i've noticed when I come to a complete stop at a light and try to go in to first there are times where I wont be able to get it into gear. I'll let off the clutch and push it again and then i'll be able to go in first. I've also noticed when cruising in 6th and I try to downshift to 4th i'll have the same issue and solved by releasing and engaging the clutch again.
I do have the hurst shifter installed if that makes a difference but thats about all that i've done to the car.
Another question I have is, when the car is cold and I put it in to first or reverse and i'm disengaging the clutch sometimes I'll hear a whine noise coming from underneath the shifter area that goes away if I either press or release the clutch some.
Does any of this sound familiar to you guys? I'm thinking of replacing the clutch fluid since I've only had the car for a few weeks and don't know when it was last done.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, it's the clutch fluid being low. Changing it and bleeding (like mad) should make a noticeable difference. Getting a remote bleeder will make the job easier in the future.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Teching In

My car does the same exact thing at a stop. Hard to get into first. When I first bought the car, I couldn't down shift to first coming to a near stop without grinding. Or It was almost be impossible to shift into first at a stop. It would take several attempts or eventually I would take of off from 2nd. Finally got fed up and tried to do something about it. Flushed the clutch fluid. Bleed it. It fixed the grinding. Helped with the shifting into first at a stop but, still difficult at times. From what I've read, the hydraulic clutch in these cars isn't the best. I'll be putting a new clutch master in it soon to See if It helps.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I got you covered if you want/need a clutch master cylinder. The factory hydraulic system on the V1s are notoriously horrible. The aftermarket MC I offer uses a Tilton 7/8" bore and custom parts in a turn-key kit and is the fix for the factory hydraulics.

Here's the link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...g-process.html
Old 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had that problem and it was getting significantly worse. Motor mounts really helped.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Mine used to hang up a lot too. Fixed sagging trans mount with revshift insert and shifting problem went away.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by philistine
I got you covered if you want/need a clutch master cylinder. The factory hydraulic system on the V1s are notoriously horrible. The aftermarket MC I offer uses a Tilton 7/8" bore and custom parts in a turn-key kit and is the fix for the factory hydraulics.

Here's the link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...g-process.html

You're the person I had in mind when I decided to replace the master cylinder.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I've done it all, and this is still the worst manual trans I've ever had the displeasure to daily drive. By done it all, I'm referring to shifter, bushings, mounts, inserts,fluid, bleeding, master cylinder, syncros, blockers, pads, clutch, flywheel... When I first bought my 07 last year, the shifter felt like you were stirring mashed potatoes and I had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting reverse to take in less than 6-7 attempts. Things are much firmer and more reliable now, but still the occasional 1st lock-out and difficult reverse and 6th engagement.
/rant
Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys thanks for the input. I definitely will be doing the clutch fluid as well as the motor and tranny mounts that I had already planned on doing.
philistine, your MC mod is something I am planning on doing I just wanted to see if there was anything that could help temporarily before I can go ahead and order it.
As a side note, does anyone have experience with the creative steel red(race) motor mounts? just how much added noise/vibration over stock will I see? will it make it unbearable as a daily driver and is there any benefit to getting the race ones as far as durability goes?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Try also changing out the tranny fluid if it hasn't been done recently. It helped my issues, but I still on occasion get the grind & block out. I'm going try changing out the slave next and see if I can eliminate the transmission gremlins I have.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Curious also

Mine goes in every hear flawlessly except 2nd! I know my motor mounts are going out "revshift ones already home and ready to go In" also got the trans mount. I added some clutch fluid and a new hurst short throw but it still won't go into 2nd at times
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackberrysvt
Curious also

Mine goes in every hear flawlessly except 2nd! I know my motor mounts are going out "revshift ones already home and ready to go In" also got the trans mount. I added some clutch fluid and a new hurst short throw but it still won't go into 2nd at times
Is your CAGS disabled?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rand49er
Is your CAGS disabled?
Had no idea what that is/was so I judit searched it on here.

Only thing with info I found was thag it's for economy? And its a PCM thing, and yiu can delete it.

Is that correct? What excatly is it
Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAGS is a lockout from 1st to 2nd, forcing you into 4th. If you look at your Speedo, you'll see a 4th with an arrow next to it. It can be disabled via a tune or CAGS eliminator.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had no idea what that is/was so I judit searched it on here.

Only thing with info I found was thag it's for economy? And its a PCM thing, and yiu can delete it.

Is that correct? What excatly is it
I'm just going to tell you to google gm skip shift. This is something you should absolutely be aware of before you even bought the car.

Oh, and RTFM!!! lol
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Getting it tuned Friday he can turn it off
Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Getting it tuned Friday he can turn it off
That's the best way.

Quick Reply: Blocked gears?