Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Transmission noise - video inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise - video inside

Hi guys,
My V makes this weird noise from the transmission area after i've warmed it up only a little ~125. The noise happens when I try to shift into the gear and it's blocked (so i disengage and re-engage the clutch and the gear is not blocked this is when the chirp is heard - video 1) or when i'm in gear and i'm lightly letting off the clutch to get moving(as you can see in video 2) The noise continues until i either take it out of gear or fully disengage the clutch and get moving.
The V has almost 90k miles and i'm not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced and if this is a sign of a clutch needing replacement. I am also not sure when/if the clutch fluid has been replaced but it is not low. I was looking into buying the aftermarket master cylinder sold by philistine to fix the blocked gears but before i do that, i would like to know if i have a bigger issue or if my clutch needs replacing.

both videos the car temp is at around 120-140. The noise is completely gone when the car is up to normal temp.
Video 1 - This is me simply engaging the clutch, attempting to go in a few gears, disengage and repeat

Video 2 - I put the car in reverse after some failed attempts and let off the clutch to get moving
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Have you checked your hydraulic clutch fluid?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rand49er
Sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Have you checked your hydraulic clutch fluid?
Yeah it's topped off, but like i said i'm not sure if/when it was replaced since i recently bought the V. I was going to do the new fluid but i've been holding off in case the problem is the master cylinder or the clutch itself.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Judging by your videos, it looks like disengagement issues. I would first bleed the system to rule out any air being trapped in there.

Regarding the clutch, it's a guessing game since you don't know what's in there. You can spend a day tearing it apart to investigate and replace the slave while you're at it and install a remote bleed line if you don't already have one.

I got you covered if you choose to upgrade to one of my performance clutch master cylinders - I have 5 complete kits ready to go from the latest batch.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...g-process.html

Tons of feedback on this link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-cylinder.html
Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack up the rear end, put the car in gear, ebrake off, and with the clutch pressed, rev the motor. If the rear tires spin, you have a disengagement issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you replaced trans fluid recently? Another thing to add to the list
Old 11-21-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

When you say temperature, do you mean the engine coolant temp or the transmission temp?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input guys. I am ordering a motive power bleeder to do my clutch fluid and go from there. I will post back with results once i've flushed the system.

Originally Posted by hefftone
When you say temperature, do you mean the engine coolant temp or the transmission temp?
I meant engine coolant temp, i guess i just said that to mention that it was essentially when the car was still cold.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Motive power bleeder is so awesome. It's in my top 5 tools, without a doubt.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

So I got the motive power bleeder in and changed the fluid. Very easy to do other than when I was tightening the bleeder valve the hose came off and I bathed myself in clutch fluid.
The fluid was a nasty black color so i'm happy to have some new stuff in there. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue and the noise is still there so now i'm looking into what my next step should be.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Jack up the rear end, put the car in gear, ebrake off, and with the clutch pressed, rev the motor. If the rear tires spin, you have a disengagement issue.
Did you do this?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Default Fix?

Did you ever solve this?

Quick Reply: Transmission noise - video inside