Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question...

Had a question maybe someone could help me out with I got the creative steal package with the stage 2 mounts and tranny mount and rear diff bushing and shifter bushing, I installed the motor and tranny mounts what a bitch, but anyways sometimes when im gettin on it real hard it kind of sounds like something is rattling like maybe the aluminum heat shields on the motor mounts but I know they're on the right way and they're tight Has anyone else had this problem? maybe I thought it was my motor pinging but it all stock and I run 93 octane so I figured it's not engine ping it has to be the heat sheilds? Cause it dont do it when i just rev it up without driving, and also the shifter bushings should I put them in my stock shifter or wait and use them when I get a Hurst? there the rubber ones with the bronze copper things whatever those are
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your flywheel rattling..........my console lid has been known to make a similar noise as well......

Those bushings don't work with the hurst FYI. It comes with its own the Brian cooks up.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 12-14-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that console lid kinda sux for that
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok thanks, it dont do it every time but it does it quite often, why would my flywheel be rattling though? And is it a bad thing or is it normal since its probly the stock pos flywheel, since everyone says the stockones suck. And yea that pos console lid sucks, Took me forever to figure out that console lid noise also lol
Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The dual mass flywheels are know to rattle at the end of there life span. Mine sure as hell did but only when you lug on the motor or run up the Rpms. It was also noticeable on shutdown.

Flywheel, drive shaft and rear end bushing are the big spots to focus on for noises. I was convinced my console kid was something totally different. Stuffing that turd with insulation.

I would look at those first if you have high miles and go from there. Have some one else drive and sit in the back seat too, it will help give you a better perspective of where your rattle is coming from. Not only your console lid but that stupid tunnel thing on the back of it.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, yea it just hit 100k miles,and I noticed that at idle I can look at the crank pulley and it looks just a slight bit wobbly is that normal? its gotta be the flywheel then, cause it still makes a deisel noise on shutdown, even after i fixed the broken mounts, thanks for the help, ill just plan on a new clutch and flywheel and slave setup whenever the clutch starts goin bad, and that rear end clunk when u shift is pretty annyoing to, so it's got to be the rear end bushing or drive shaft, but I got the red race bushing I just never installed it yet,
Old 12-15-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have also experienced that kind of noise from the carrier bearing unit on your driveshaft being worn enough to allow the driveshaft to hit its aluminum heat shield. Not a shameless plug, lol. Also we have found that the resonator on the exhaust can contact that same heat shield under load, and make the same noise
​​
Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wobble on your balancer means it's coming apart. Mine did the day I bought the car
Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. Is there a certain balancer anyone recomends? Maybe an oem?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just tryin to figure out parts for my- to do list
Old 12-16-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a list and start cooking through it! Ati makes a nice balancer as well as fluidamper, power bond if you just don't care. A better one is on my list as well but my drive shaft is kicking my *** currently. When the saga ends radiator and balancer before summer.

Quick Reply: Question...