Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Indoor car cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015 | 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Indoor car cover

Looking for fresh, current ideas on where to find a good dust cover. Also is it worth it for a custom fit one or is a universal good enough by dimensions? Garage is not climate controlled but concrete floor and no leaks. Dust and bugs is probably the main issue. Or should I just wax it and not bother? Car is now rarely driven and parked all winter. PA location.

I searched but most info was non specific and scattered and the links were old and busted.
Old 12-29-2015 | 10:27 PM
Teching In

I bought a universal one from Walmart. Fit snug and no complaints.
Old 12-30-2015 | 05:18 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I would just wax it with a high end brand and keep it fresh every 3 months
Old 12-30-2015 | 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

X2 on good protection and a "California Duster" to keep it spiffy
Old 12-30-2015 | 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

X2 on the California Duster, I keep my V in the garage during the winters down here in VA when they start salting the roads. I would just use the CA Duster once a week and she looked beautiful come spring time.
Old 12-31-2015 | 07:56 AM
On The Tree

I would not cover it in a non-climate controlled garage - would not want any condensation between the car and the cover.
Old 12-31-2015 | 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

^

Anyway, if you want to save some coin i use jersey knit flat sheets. Two king size and they work good.

I don't agree with the wax only, then dust will settle on it and the only good way to get dust off is with water IMO. So.....not sure how naf would say that, seeing as he is in the sand box hell hole. but I guess that explains some of his pics with his car almost recognizably covered in dust.

So, just my 2¢
Old 12-31-2015 | 10:00 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
^

Anyway, if you want to save some coin i use jersey knit flat sheets. Two king size and they work good.

I don't agree with the wax only, then dust will settle on it and the only good way to get dust off is with water IMO. So.....not sure how naf would say that, seeing as he is in the sand box hell hole. but I guess that explains some of his pics with his car almost recognizably covered in dust.

So, just my 2¢
When she sits the dust has a bad habit of stickin to her. But the dust flows off once in motion.
Old 12-31-2015 | 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by somethingclever
I would not cover it in a non-climate controlled garage - would not want any condensation between the car and the cover.
Condensation in winter? I said PA not Jamaica.
Old 12-31-2015 | 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by isis
Old 01-04-2016 | 01:43 PM
On The Tree

So, what you're saying is PA is not susceptible to temperature swings?

So, what you're saying is in Pennsylvania, cold water in a glass does form condensation on the glass if the temperature increases during the day?

Interesting note - thanks for sharing.
Old 01-04-2016 | 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a $30 cover at Costco some years ago just to keep the dust off the car. I fill the car up with 93 octane, wash/wax it, pull it into the garage, hook up a battery tender, and throw on the cover. Garage temperature goes up and down (but not the extremes like outside) and I have no problem with any condensation because the car's exterior temperature is the same as the garage. If it was lower, it would condense out moisture out of the air, but that doesn't happen. Just like the windows in the garage do not get any condensation on them, the car doesn't get any on it.
Old 01-04-2016 | 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by somethingclever
So, what you're saying is PA is not susceptible to temperature swings?

So, what you're saying is in Pennsylvania, cold water in a glass does form condensation on the glass if the temperature increases during the day?

Interesting note - thanks for sharing.
It's incredibly dry in PA when the winter cold sets in and the temperature doesn't usually swing quick enough for condensation to form on a cold *** car. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:44 AM
On The Tree

It's incredibly dry in PA when the winter cold sets in and the temperature doesn't usually swing quick enough for condensation to form on a cold *** car. Thanks for your input.

I guess you have never stored a car in an unheated garage before or if you did, you put it there in the fall and came back in the spring without looking at it periodically. Because if you did, and you have sight in your eyes, you would see condensation absolutely forms on it.

Last night was 9 degrees and tomorrow is almost 50.

I guess you live in the "dry" part of the burgh. LOL

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016 | 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough.
Old 01-05-2016 | 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

I have never seen or heard of condensation being an issue on a stored car. I guess the benefit of the doubt would be the fact that every car cover I have ever used was breathable to some degree. But if you have condensation forming in your garage, you'd have moisture and mold issues as is. Outside, the air movement and temperature change may allow for condensation to form, but quickly dissipate along with other moisture. Assuming the cover was breathable and not sealed.

I guess school me as to why condensation would be bad on a clean car?

if you were truly worried about condensation then a de-humidifier is in your future.

Edit: as I suspected, with newer type finishes, condensation is of no worry.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t969...vehicles_.html
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

You may have condensation in our northeast imo. The construction & condition of the garage could be a factor. Charcoal & or silica gel may help just in case.
Old 01-06-2016 | 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

If there were enough moisture in the air inside a car to produce condensation just from temperature swings alone, we'd see condensation often I'd think.

About the only time condensation inside the car has been a problem for me was when there was already a lot of moisture in the car because of leaky t-tops.
Old 01-06-2016 | 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

I store my Nissan in my garage 352 days a year, including the cold *** Chicago winters. I'm in the garage every day, and have never seen a drop of condensation on that car in 10 years of opening and closing the garage door.

Is it possible, yep. I opened the garage door in a rental garage on a freak warm winter day and all of my tools were immediately covered in water because it was an instantaneous 40* temperature swing. Statistically likely, not really, por at least anecdotally anyways.
Old 01-06-2016 | 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Obviously it depends on the garage construction, the insulation, the amount of direct sunlight, and the day in question.

Obviously, an unheated home integral garage will not have the same results as a vehicle stored in an uninsulated storage unit with all metal sides.

To say that condensation does not form on a cold object quickly heated up could not be true unless there was absolutely 0% humidity.

Just the other day I walked in my pole barn and my truck, tractor, and cars stored inside all had condensation on them. Warm day after a cold couple...not sure why it is hard to believe.

Car cover, no car cover...who cares...just giving some input as was requested in post #1.

Quick Reply: Indoor car cover