Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2007 CTS-V Build Thread..nothing new but new to me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Two different cars, that's for sure. But if I had V3 money... I don't think a V1 would be anywhere in my fleet. Haha!
Gotta have something to utterly abuse right? And my man pedal is important to me.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigti99a
sweet baby jeebus. you SOB. a v2 from the trifecta. those 3s are sexy and bitchin. do these over heat the blowers like the zo6s?
Possibly in the future.. who knows.

AFAIK, these fixed the heat issues because more frontal area and such vs. the Vette but going to be talking to Caddy about a different heat issue. Popping the hood at idle​ is like standing next to a GD oven. And so much heat comes out of the extractor it is already starting to peel the paint off the grille in the hood. Should be warranty covered but IDK what they might do to fix.

​​​​​​
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

650hp is 1,653,882 btu/hour...not surprising it feels like an oven. Frankly, I'm impressed that GM packaged it and offers it under warranty.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn thats a mother. all that $$ and the OEMs refuse to cool them well enough. hopefully its no big deal and everything gets straightened out and she rips and stays cool. congrats on the purchase and i am sure alot of us wish we could DD a v3 and rip a built v1 with a sexay intake and ****.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
damn thats a mother. all that $$ and the OEMs refuse to cool them well enough. hopefully its no big deal and everything gets straightened out and she rips and stays cool. congrats on the purchase and i am sure alot of us wish we could DD a v3 and rip a built v1 with a sexay intake and ****.
Blame the designers, not the engineers. According to several articles, the intakes on the V3 were a constant sticking point. The designers wanted to minimize the size and number of grilles but the engineers insisted that they were necessary for cooling. The production V3's grilles are significantly smaller than the engineering prototypes, representing a compromise between art and science.

Personally, I think those designers were fucked up in the head. Functional intakes are sexy as hell.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Blame the designers, not the engineers. According to several articles, the intakes on the V3 were a constant sticking point. The designers wanted to minimize the size and number of grilles but the engineers insisted that they were necessary for cooling. The production V3's grilles are significantly smaller than the engineering prototypes, representing a compromise between art and science.

Personally, I think those designers were fucked up in the head. Functional intakes are sexy as hell.
Good points. When I think of what would actually keep the engine package comfortably cool, I'm picturing a tubular front frame covered in chicken wire. I mean it's like people ask to pop the hood and they get close for about 3 seconds and then take 3 steps back. It's HOTTTTTTTT in there. And it's only hitting 85 here lately. It will be real interesting when outside temps and humidity hit 100 in a few months.

Something like this:

But of course the damn designers would never go for it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

That heat is going to be hell on the paint.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah; I'm pretty worried about the hood. Have an appt for clear film to be installed Monday and wondering how that stuff will hold up in the same context. Comes with a warranty!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mercier
Yeah; I'm pretty worried about the hood. Have an appt for clear film to be installed Monday and wondering how that stuff will hold up in the same context. Comes with a warranty!
I wouldn't do that. Chances are it ends up yellowed and still messes up the paint anyway. I'm wondering how much VHT type additives they put in automotive paint these days. Is the hood now carbon fiber or are they still using alum?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Solid carbon fiber. I did go by the dealer today and they are ordering another whole vent(pre-painted I suppose) under warranty. After long drives, the paint that is peeling there is almost gooey. Definitely not heat-resistant. The hood right next to it is actually relatively cool to the touch. Good heat blanket I guess. And heat extractor doing its job, even though sacrificing itself.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

one month check up......anything exciting happening?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Most carbon fiber glues start to soften in the 225-250°F range. Do yourself a favor and apply
170-240°F Omega temperature strips 170-240°F Omega temperature strips
to the underside of the hood in critical places to see how bad things are getting.

Depending on how things go, you may need to consider getting your manifolds / headers coated and putting some silver or gold reflective shielding on the underside of the hood.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

I hope the V1 project keeps moving forward. I'm really anticipating the transmission option as I'm near the point of a rebuild on mine. The V3 is awesome!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you for the encouragement. I really do plan to get back to it soon but in the meantime I bought a bar with a friend and I'm up to my neck in that until I get it shoveled put and back on track.

This project will be finished.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mercier
Thank you for the encouragement. I really do plan to get back to it soon but in the meantime I bought a bar with a friend and I'm up to my neck in that until I get it shoveled put and back on track.

This project will be finished.
Dude. Bar + garage. 6-8 bays, fully equipped, plus about 20 parking spots. Rent a bay and get 50% off drinks. All your buddies can park outside and visit the bar to watch or help out.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

That would be pretty sweet. Even if just to see the look on our insurance agent's face when we tell them liquor, lifts, cars, etc. I have always liked the idea of shared garages(even if without the beer) and it is something that would have changed my (car) life had it existed around here for the last 20 years. If kids are going to grow up to thrive in a business like our hobby, they need those kinds of opportunities since shop class is all but gone. And then you have the big kids like us.. It occurs to me that liability is unfortunately the biggest headache with something like that.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

There's always this route: http://www.kcowines.com/

Owner owns car dealerships and likes wines. He was curating his wine collection when he realized he could expense the trips if he opened the bar. Has a lift indoors and they change out the car on display. First I went it was a 3rd gen V. Lately it's been an ATS.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmm. That's pretty cool. If only the little bit a bar/restaurant actually makes could build the dealership around it..this could work. Good thing he started the car selling bit first.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

We've got a coffee/motorcycle shop in a transitional part of town with a similar concept.

https://brothermoto.com/
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

How is the Bar coming? Any updates on the V1 transmission install?

Quick Reply: 2007 CTS-V Build Thread..nothing new but new to me.