Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Getting this right

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could just shove a round piece of plastic in the hose(tight fit) and drill a small hole in there and work up from that. 1/4" sounds a bit big but I may be underestimating the vacuum created. Seems like vacuum restrictors used to be a common thing but I can't seem to find them at Autozone's website. At any rate, I would run unrestricted(3/8-ish?) hose form the engine to the catch can so it doesn't get clogged with PCV junk. Then run the restrictor on the fresh air side so it stay clean.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Could just shove a round piece of plastic in the hose(tight fit) and drill a small hole in there and work up from that. 1/4" sounds a bit big but I may be underestimating the vacuum created. Seems like vacuum restrictors used to be a common thing but I can't seem to find them at Autozone's website. At any rate, I would run unrestricted(3/8-ish?) hose form the engine to the catch can so it doesn't get clogged with PCV junk. Then run the restrictor on the fresh air side so it stay clean.
Well I say 1/4 because the U hose that I pulled off looks like I.D of 1/4. Ill be taking a trip to home depot today after work, I think I have a plan, whether or not it will work, hopefully I will find out this weekend. Ill post some pics of my valley cover before and after. If this works, it might be a cheaper way when doing and ls6 to ls2 conversion
Old 03-01-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will a ls4 cover fit? I have one I milled the oil boss off of for a old project. If you want it let me know. Been chilling for a loooooong time
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Will a ls4 cover fit? I have one I milled the oil boss off of for a old project. If you want it let me know. Been chilling for a loooooong time
ls4 or ls3? I honestly don't know, would need to see a picture, but one thing I noticed, with my Holley valve covers, there is a fittong on the driver side that points to the firewall, i was thinking maybe running the pcv from the driver valve cover, to a catch can, mounted higher on the fire wall and route to the intake.

got the new engine in finally

Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's off a ls4, I do believe they where a gen iv motor if I remember correctly but it's been a while. I will take a pick when I get home.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I gotta pull the engine back out, the passenger lower engine mount isnt lining up. Need to drill another hole on the upper mount to for those dowel pins on the mounts themselves to turn it enough to line it up. I was spot on on the driver side though. The racetonix fuel pump wiring kit and NW came in yesterday as well, no nipple for the passenger valve cover so I will have to do was Mercier suggested and enter from the intake tube. After I get the engine settled back in, put the harness back and start assembling everything again. Still waiting on a 6th gear for my transmission, apparently 6th is a PITA to find nowadays.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, so luckily only two issues popped up so far.

The first issue is I found this wire, it is on the same bus as on the oil pressure and the ground wire behind the driver side head. It looks like another ground wire, but looking through my marked bag for ground bolts, I am out. Is this a spare or something else?

The second issue is my failed attempt to fix the nipple I broke on top of the radiator the Ts off into the cross over tube, it looks like the top piece isn't separable, so it looks like im in for a new radiator, looking on ebay they range from 50 to 60 which isnt bad at all. Where can I find the Alradco and is it worth it?

Edit:
Almost forgot to show the picture of the unknown wire

Now I have a ground behind the driver head and 2 behind the passenger head, so I dont know if I screwed up somewhere with my bagging and tagging

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 03-02-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Was that for the camshaft position sensor? I broke mine when I removed the heads and had to repair it when it was all back together.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Alradco is about $500. Fro.their website. From what I understand, it is a great piece but a little thicker than the stock so it can cause slight need for clearance for of the intake tube--depending on what you are running. I am planning to order one soon. So my guaranteed no leak stocker would be for sale for cheap if you want it. It is good but could also use a good cleaning.

Have you looked at the plastic welder Harbor Freight sells? It basically lets you weld the nylon that the rads and intakes are made of from what I understand. Haven't done it myself though.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't throw the money away on the plastic welder. Dad got one to fix some plastics from a dirt bike. Didn't hold for crap.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Was that for the camshaft position sensor? I broke mine when I removed the heads and had to repair it when it was all back together.
no, the cam, knock sensor, oil pressure connectors are accounted for. it looks almost like the ground wire that you can see attached behind it, and I hate to use it as a ground if it is a hot, dont want a pretty light show
Old 03-03-2017, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alradco is about $500. Fro.their website. From what I understand, it is a great piece but a little thicker than the stock so it can cause slight need for clearance for of the intake tube--depending on what you are running. I am planning to order one soon. So my guaranteed no leak stocker would be for sale for cheap if you want it. It is good but could also use a good cleaning.

Have you looked at the plastic welder Harbor Freight sells? It basically lets you weld the nylon that the rads and intakes are made of from what I understand. Haven't done it myself though.
Yea i tried a plastic welder already, did not hold up at all like vroom has said. I will just go with another stock radiator, 500 is a bit steep at the moment.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also I am looking for the seal for the pressure line for the power steering, I found this part number 88952004, I was hoping I could find one at a autozone or o'reilys, but no luck. Maybe lowes or home depot?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are supposed to be 2 grounds on the driver side from what I remember.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmylez
There are supposed to be 2 grounds on the driver side from what I remember.
Im sure it is, I swept the floor and looked on the old block, I just dont see a lug or anything laying around, I wonder if this was broken before i pulled the motor
Old 03-03-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone used an o-ring to replace the seal on the pressure line for the power steering pump?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well now I somehow brok the return line nipple on the power steering pump resevoir, I found a part number 15285644 on gmpartsdirect.com, but when i search else where it shows that is for a corvette. Does anyone know where else to get one? I called my local auto parts store and they dont have any.

I found a o-ring that fits in the pressure hose for the power steering pump,I may give it a try, unless I have to order the reservoir on parts direct I might as well get the seal as well.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a head up for who ever snaps one of the nipples on the reservoir tank for the power steering. The barbs are glue on and do come off.

Broken return barb.

I used a crew driver and a small hammer to pop the barb off

There is plenty meat to use here

I used a 3/8-18 tap, thread sealer and RTV
Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Everything needs a little RTV on it. See Chris Rock's comedy on "Tussin."

Last edited by Mercier; 03-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everytbing needs a little RTV on it. See Chris Rock's comedy on "Tussin."
When in doubt, RTV everything!

Quick Reply: Getting this right