Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Getting this right

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, Tony Mamo. http://www.mamomotorsports.com/
He ain't cheap but he's widely regarded as the best at what he does.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where in GA are you moving? Vengeance is about an hour north of Atlanta. There are some other shops around but Vengeance is the most reputable. I had mine tuned at MTI after I installed my longtubes.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Where in GA are you moving? Vengeance is about an hour north of Atlanta. There are some other shops around but Vengeance is the most reputable. I had mine tuned at MTI after I installed my longtubes.
Kingsbay, very south east of GA, exit 1 on I-95. ATL is bit of a trip, I might have to find something closer
Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I knew two guys from Kingsland that I went to college with. One had an LS swapped s10, the other had a turbo silverado. I'm pretty sure there's a shop around there, but they could have been sending their PCM tunes out for tuning for all I can tell.
PM L$X$10. He's very familiar with that area.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I might know them, I grew up there from middle school to high school and then... got stationed there while I was in the Navy. Got a new job at Lockheed so I couldn't pass the offer up going back home. With a big crowd of navy gear heads I am sure to find someone there.

Talked to Tony Mamo, really wants me to sell the fast and go MSD, though for 1600, I would rather spend most of it on the suspension. Just waiting on a reply for the cost to port my fast and will go from there. When I have a place that can tune the LS3 MAF, I will grab on then. Im hoping to only spend 500 to break the 500hp
Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Mamo knows this stuff as well as anyone out there, period, and better than most. He really understands how to optimize a combination. If he advised the MSD, it's probably for several reasons. Did he see your graph? With the way your combo carries past red line now, his suggestion makes a ton of sense. That may even change the personality of your engine for the better and give your power gains. I suspect the MSD or porting will get you your number along with the MAF so there's no real wrong answer.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Mamo knows this stuff as well as anyone out there, period, and better than most. He really understands how to optimize a combination. If he advised the MSD, it's probably for several reasons. Did he see your graph? With the way your combo carries past red line now, his suggestion makes a ton of sense. That may even change the personality of your engine for the better and give your power gains. I suspect the MSD or porting will get you your number along with the MAF so there's no real wrong answer.

daaaammnit, you and mamo are right. I will have to wait till after I buy this house and install my shop first though, i can squeak by with 600 for the port job, but 1600 will be harder to explain to the wife. Hopefully in a few months, this will give me time break the motor in fully and fix any hiccups.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

HAha, just start sacking away $200 a month in your sock drawer, then after 6 months (which will fly with all the stuff you have going on), boom, you've got what you need.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

If a retune is free or heavily discounted, I'd try to squeeze in the ported intake at least. The MAF may mandate a full price tune. If not, no brainer - MAF and port the FAST. IF the ported intake mandates a full price tune, I'd be inclined to wait and do it all at once later. If you want to try to pick up 50 at the tire, may as well have Mamo or AI port those heads too...while you're in there.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Tony's rep is established and hard to beat. Another option for you is Bob @ Peak Speed Shop. Check them out for another opinion.

There's still the comparable build with lesser heads, stock throttle body, no intake porting that made well over 500 to the wheels. That build is sans-MAF and I won't argue that porting the intake may improve things, but I feel like that may just mask a greater deficiency in your setup. I'm thinking maybe big MAF or SD tune before you bother with the intake.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would the MAF really make that much of a difference? I know that from the Air filter to the MAF to the tube is 4" -> 3.6" -> 4". I know the cross section is much smaller, but I cant see it robbing me that much power. Unless its in the tuning, which I am no expert. The other thing is with my cylinder heads, i opted for smaller intake port to help keep the air velocity up, I am wondering if that could be the difference between the different builds who are hitting 500+. I am also curious to see their graphs as well, i would like to compare torque curves.

here are the heads
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4010-pr...der-heads.aspx

note: i have the 260cc

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 05-12-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I would not expect the MAF to make 40HP difference on its own but I don't have back to back data. Here are the heads on the other mentioned build with flow numbers:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...11558/10002/-1

Your heads look to flow a bit better up top while the GM heads supposedly are better at low-mid lift. A flow bench doesn't come anywhere near replicating the "running engine" environment as well.

I'll ask for that graph.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...id-setups.html

Mercier is right, MAF alone won't get you 40. My guess is 10-15 from the MAF and 15-20 from porting the FAST.

You will find some MAF vs MAF comparos in here if you dig. Given that and other anecdotal stuff over the years, I'd bet you pick up 10 at the tire, maybe up to 20 given how stout your combo is. Do your ported intake or the MSD and a bigger MAF, and you could see another 40 at the tire from both. With Murphy, the MAF would probably get you 499. In all seriousness, if I could get 35-40 at the tire with an intake port job, MAF, and tune...I'd do it. Get the MSD later when you port those heads and sell me your FAST.

Here's another one somewhat helpful: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359582

Last edited by jmilz28; 05-12-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...id-setups.html

Mercier is right, MAF alone won't get you 40. My guess is 10-15 from the MAF and 15-20 from porting the FAST.

You will find some MAF vs MAF comparos in here if you dig. Given that and other anecdotal stuff over the years, I'd bet you pick up 10 at the tire, maybe up to 20 given how stout your combo is. Do your ported intake or the MSD and a bigger MAF, and you could see another 40 at the tire from both. With Murphy, the MAF would probably get you 499. In all seriousness, if I could get 35-40 at the tire with an intake port job, MAF, and tune...I'd do it. Get the MSD later when you port those heads and sell me your FAST.
I might just get the MSD and then sell the FAST, if you want, I will message you after i get settled in. My questions is with the MAF, will the increase just come from the size or tune or both?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Both. Bigger tube results in notable flow bump (both from cross sectional area and cylinder volume) and then you have to tune for it. Just gets more air and need to tune for it, but obviously a new MAF means new MAF tables. Given that you already have the big TB and your tuner is cool with it, I suspect the cartridge MAF should be fine.

I ain't trying to push you bud, I think you have a stout combo as it sits. I just know how OCD can affect a man when he's after power and you have some on the table that should be relatively easy to get. After all, you've done the hard stuff already. No wrong answer here. FWIW an MSD is a lot easier to notice than porting the FAST you already have, if that matters to the wife.

Once I recover from this round of expenses and driveshaft charliefoxtrot, probably later this year or early next, my intent is headers, FAST intake/TB/MAF and tune. I'd like to be 400 to the tire without cracking the engine.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Both. Bigger tube results in notable flow bump (both from cross sectional area and cylinder volume) and then you have to tune for it. Just gets more air and need to tune for it, but obviously a new MAF means new MAF tables. Given that you already have the big TB and your tuner is cool with it, I suspect the cartridge MAF should be fine.

I ain't trying to push you bud, I think you have a stout combo as it sits. I just know how OCD can affect a man when he's after power and you have some on the table that should be relatively easy to get. After all, you've done the hard stuff already. No wrong answer here. FWIW an MSD is a lot easier to notice than porting the FAST you already have, if that matters to the wife.

Once I recover from this round of expenses and driveshaft charliefoxtrot, probably later this year or early next, my intent is headers, FAST intake/TB/MAF and tune. I'd like to be 400 to the tire without cracking the engine.
I dont know much about the tuning world yet, so I was curious if actually tuning for the MAF would affect it as well, I know just increasing the size would. Thanks for the info man. I will hit you when I got to recover some of that MSD money if your still interested in the FAST

Quick Reply: Getting this right