Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What tranny will work on 2005 ctsv

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tranny will work on 2005 ctsv

I just buy a CTSV that had no motor but came with ECU and wiring harness just bought a 2004 Pontiac GTO motor got it for you Bill now trying to find a transmission found a 2007 CTSV transmission will it work no problems no modifications
Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys. OP is referring to my stock (V1) T56. I told him I am 99% sure it will fall right in but if there were any nuances(between 05-07) you guys would know.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TorqueCTS-V
I just buy a CTSV that had no motor but came with ECU and wiring harness just bought a 2004 Pontiac GTO motor got it for you Bill now trying to find a transmission found a 2007 CTSV transmission will it work no problems no modifications
Can you take a few pics? I still have mine out and can compare them. I know 04 and 05 are the same, the bell housing will be the same across 04-07. I dont think there should be much of a difference
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all the same 04-07
Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Flywheel differs on the gto ls1 from what you need with the V1 transmission.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
Flywheel differs on the gto ls1 from what you need with the V1 transmission.
If using the LS1 style clutch, slave, throwout bearing, it should work though right? (shorter clutch, but longer slave to make up the difference) Change of pilot bearing I think is required due to the V input shaft? Is there something more specific about the GTO unit I am unaware of?

Even if he had a pristine dual-mass(stock V) setup, would any of you actually recommend using it?

Thanks for the help guys.

PS: Since this will come up eventually anyway, what will the OP encounter with front accessory drive setup? I have seen evidence of the GTO spacing being slightly different from V(/Vette?). Is there room for the GTO stuff?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mercier
If using the LS1 style clutch, slave, throwout bearing, it should work though right? (shorter clutch, but longer slave to make up the difference) Change of pilot bearing I think is required due to the V input shaft? Is there something more specific about the GTO unit I am unaware of?

Even if he had a pristine dual-mass(stock V) setup, would any of you actually recommend using it?

Thanks for the help guys.
If your changing the flywheel then yes you will need a longer slave, dealing with this currently. Per investigations, you need a CTS-V pilot bearing, look up LQ4 Swap eating slaves, if it is the ls6 GTO engine, then I think most other parts should be swappable, I am pretty sure they are both 24X reluctors. I wouldn't use the dual mass flywheel again
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

You are too quick. I was adding(editing) this in my post:

Since this will come up eventually anyway, what will the OP encounter with front accessory drive setup? I have seen evidence of the GTO spacing being slightly different from V(/Vette?). Is there room for the GTO stuff?

Also I am in Vegas for a week so no pics until I return. But..Bone stock 2007 V. And I just threw out my stock dual mass setup this past weekend. Holy mother of God that thing is heavy.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since this will come up eventually anyway, what will the OP encounter with front accessory drive setup? I have seen evidence of the GTO spacing being slightly different from V(/Vette?). Is there room for the GTO stuff?

Also I am in Vegas for a week so no pics until I return. But..Bone stock 2007 V. And I just threw out my stock dual mass setup this past weekend. Holy mother of God that thing is heavy.
"You are too quick" Story of my life right there

Hes putting a whole engine that came out another car, there will be some modification needed and maybe some extra wiring to be done. I am sure regardless the engine will fit in. It would be easier if he had the old engine and swap everything from the old to the new. Im sure the knock sensors, pressure and position sensors are the same. What I dont know would be the alternator wires, starter wires, those connectors that go to them and any other extras that the GTO has that the CTS-V doesnt and vice versa. It is going to be attention to detail with this swap to see what he needs or dont. But for the engine and tranny, they both should bolt up just fine if he is using the cts-v bell housing. I dont think he would even need a tune how closely similar the engines are
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

All good points. I am specifically targeting accessory drive spacing. I think GTO is a little further out from the block than the V. I think V/Vette is the closest, GTO/F-body somewhere in the middle, and Truck/LS3 the farthest out. Don't know how much it differs between GTO and V to know if the accessories will have a clearance issue in the front. Nothing to do with the transmission; just trying to help the guy know what he is getting into.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

All good points. I am specifically targeting accessory drive spacing. I think GTO is a little further out from the block than the V. I think V/Vette is the closest, GTO/F-body somewhere in the middle, and Truck/LS3 the farthest out. Don't know how much it differs between GTO and V to know if the accessories will have a clearance issue in the front. Nothing to do with the transmission; just trying to help the guy know what he is getting into.
Right, where I said it should drop in, there is plenty room on the sides and where the fan shroud is, unless the GTO spacing is 2"+ longer, I would double check with that because of the traction control/anti skip distribution block that sits right on front of the balancer. My concern is the factory connections for the alternator and and starter being different.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

I wasn't aware the gto ever came with an LS6... Only ls1 and ls2... I could be wrong. Also I was thinking the bellhousing on the V1 transmission was longer?? Now that I typed it, I feel I may be wrong on that lol.. if it was me, I'd use an LS2 flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, and slave which is believe is the same units for all the vettes, z06 included... Something about the ls1 flywheels and balancing... My God, I'm out of the loop on this stuff anymore. Dang driveshafts got my brain all occupied. Sorry lol
Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

If the GTO accessories are farther forward, there could be some fan shroud clearance issue, particularly around the water pump domed pulley. I replaced my water pump with a C5 Corvette pump (~$100 less) and a bracket on the shroud needed some slight clearancing. Not a whole lot of room to play with there.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

feel free to stop by, got lots of projects always cooking! lol
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think Voodoo is right, it looks like the 04 Model had the LS1. Edmunds and Motor Trend are showing the 05 models to be a 6.0L? Need a gto guy to hop aboard
Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

This is true. The LS6 was not offered in the GTO. LS1 in 04 with the single side exit exhaust. At that point they may have had the LS6 intake manifold... but not the 243 heads. Similar to the last models of F-bodies. Then in 05 they got the truck motors with dual exhaust exits. I believe they were using the last of the LS1 stock in 04. Similar to how they used the last of the LS6 stock for the V in 04-05, then switched to the mass produced LS2.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BudRacing
This is true. The LS6 was not offered in the GTO. LS1 in 04 with the single side exit exhaust. At that point they may have had the LS6 intake manifold... but not the 243 heads. Similar to the last models of F-bodies. Then in 05 they got the truck motors with dual exhaust exits. I believe they were using the last of the LS1 stock in 04. Similar to how they used the last of the LS6 stock for the V in 04-05, then switched to the mass produced LS2.
So it looks like he may have so more configuration to do then i expected
Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Default So the 2004 gto motor probably won't work in the 2005 ctsv

I'm not the best at working on cars but I can put a motor in and a tranny just don't know what I'm getting into with this work I have the stock wiring harness foe the v and ecu was hoping I could just drop the motor in and a 2007 ctsv tranny n hook everything up n be on the road
​​​​​
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

If you had an LS2 wire harness and ECU from a 2006-07 V and ls2 engine from a gto, AND all the accessories from an LS2 Ctsv... You'd have an easier time. If you run the Ctsv ECU (for an LS6) it's probably not gonna work straight away with the ls1.. without tuner changing things.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I can confirm the GTOs came with LS1s in 04 and LS2s in 05 and 06.

Quick Reply: What tranny will work on 2005 ctsv